Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejustthatguy07
This is acomputer
Male
Loc: In a van, down by the riv...
Newbie needs help
    #7755213 - 12/13/07 06:55 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, so Im new to growing shrooms and new to this board.
I have a few questions, now bear with me please, I need all the help I can get.
I havent started yet, my plan is to inoculate a five pound spawn bag with some z-strain shrooms. I want to use the "Shake and Bake Worm Shit/Coir Ubbersubstrate" (shown at end of post).
After the bag fully colonizes, do I just crumble it and add it to the substrate, I will be growing in a 25 gallon rubbermaid type container, with a heat pad underneath. I will also have a hygrometer/thermometer. Will the substrate's moisture be enough humidity?

-------Begin substrate instructions------------
Shake and Bake Worm Shit/Coir Ubbersubstrate
Multiply as you see fit for larger projects, larger tubs, or larger plans... >:)
You will need
5lbs of worm castings (Good garden stores, look for pure castings. Ebay even)
1.5lb brick of Coco Coir (Reptile bedding. Available at petco,etc)
Large Pot(s) with lid
4 Empty Gallon Jugs
1 Cup Measuring Cup/Scoop
Spawnmate 87 Grams will supplement this 6.5lbs of dry substrate at about 3%.(Optional)
25 Gallon Opaque Rubbermaid with lid
1 Medium Spawn Bag of colonized grain.
2 Extra Large Heavy Duty Trash bags
2 Turkey Sized Oven Bags
Step 1 - Make Worm Shit Tea.
  4 Cups Worm Shit (If you only have 5lbs of castings, it is ok to take the 4 cups from your bag)
2.5 Gallons of Tap water
Place in large pot and Simmer uncovered on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Cover and let set for a few hours or over night, carefully decant tea in to two gallon jugs leaving sludge behind, decant sludge into third gallon and top off with water, use this for plants. Hate to waste. :smile:
You now have two gallons of nice brown worm shit tea.
Step 2 - Hydrate Your Materials
Take 1 1.5lb Brick of Coir, and 5 lbs dry of Worm Castings
Take the coir brick and place it in a trash bag with one gallon of worm poo tea. Wait 30 minutes to an hour and check to see that the coir has expanded evenly and is nice and moist throughout. Break up any hard pieces and let soak longer if need be, add a little water if necc. It can take longer for the coir to expand when it is cold, so warming your tea helps. In my experience 1 gallon is perfect for one brick.
After it has all expanded and it is all the same fluffy consistency, you can drain any excess tea, but don't squeeze out any of it, just drain it. Chances are there will be nothing to drain.
Next Place your worm castings in a large container and add water to them until they are very moist but not muddy. This can be done in a trash bag as well and makes mixing easy. Generally 1.5 Cups of water to 5lbs of castings is good. Moisture content of castings can vary, so use your best judgement. You want moist not dripping.
Pour worm castings and coir into an extra large heavy duty trash bag and mix well. Add Spawnmate a little at a time to mix evenly.
Step 3 - Pasteurize your substrate
Load substrate mix into 2 Turkey Size Oven bags (You could probably fit it all into one if you want)
Preheat and Bake in the oven at 175 deg for 3 hours. Let cool to room temp.
Pour into clean heavy duty trash bag
Add Spawn and mix thoroughly
Pour everything into 25 gallon Rubbermaid, level with clean hands.
When colonization is complete case with 1" of straight coir, and stand back or fruit uncased.
  :twisted:

ALL HELP AND TIPS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
keep in kind, I want this to be simple and somewhat cheap, as long as it works Im happy

--------------------
This message was automatically generated via a complex algorithm, the owner of this computer was never actually on this site and has no knowledge of these messages.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: Newbie needs help [Re: justthatguy07]
    #7755248 - 12/13/07 06:59 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It should be. You will need to cut holes in the tub to allow for fresh air exchange.

Check this out.

When you want to add your spawn to your bulk, mix it all together and you'll be good to go. Remember that when you do that, don't induce fruiting. Keep it in colonization conditions.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Invisiblejustthatguy07
This is acomputer
Male
Re: Newbie needs help [Re: thedefone]
    #7755281 - 12/13/07 07:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

How would i keep it in colonization conditions? Thanks for the help.:)
That tub looks great, exactly what I was gonna attempt!

BTW, is z-strain fairly easy to grow or should I start with B+ or Golden Teacher, something along those lines, heard they are easy.

edit: should I keep it in colonization conditions untill all of the substrate colonizes? How long will it usually take?

--------------------
This message was automatically generated via a complex algorithm, the owner of this computer was never actually on this site and has no knowledge of these messages.

Edited by justthatguy07 (12/13/07 07:07 PM)

OfflineCubeGod666
(Insert TitleHere)

#7755285 - 12/13/07 07:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Take a soldering iron and cut a circle in a rubbermaid.
Use some pvc glue or something and attach a filter patch
to the circle you just cut out of the rubbermaid.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: Newbie needs help [Re: CubeGod666]
    #7755480 - 12/13/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

When you mix the spawn with the bulk, have the holes covered with tape or something, and keep it in the dark. When the spawn has completely colonized the sub, (which should take around 10 days) open the holes and fill with polyfill, give it 12/12 light, and it should begin to fruit in a couple of days.

As far as you choice of strains goes, it doesn't really matter, they are all the same. After you get the cubes figured out, give a different species a shot.

--------------------

Invisiblejustthatguy07
This is acomputer
Male
    #7757401 - 12/14/07 07:02 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the good replies so far, But I still need to know if I must buy a humidifier, or should the substrates moisture create enough humidity? If not I can just mist it every now and then, right?

--------------------

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: Newbie needs help [Re: justthatguy07]
    #7757445 - 12/14/07 07:59 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You should be fine without having to buy a humidifier. The sub itself should provide the moisture. Misting if necessary, should be enough.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7757513 - 12/14/07 08:50 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Do a search for monotubs, or if you are doing trays, do a search for shotgun terrarium.

Also, you don't want to heat the container or FC you need to heat the whole room the FC will be in.

If you only heat the FC, the colder air on the outside will cause condensation to form on the inside of your FC. That condensation has to come from somewhere, it comes from the air inside your FC, and as it is loosing water through condensation, the RH plummets.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisiblejustthatguy07
This is acomputer
Male
Re: Newbie needs help [Re: Nibin]
    #7758319 - 12/14/07 01:01 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the help, I think thats all the questions I had, I will get back to everyone in hopefully a month or so with pics of the grow.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale