Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts
    #7754618 - 12/13/07 04:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Spore Works is very excited to introduce you to the Five Pound Manure Based Signature Substrate Bag Kits by Cultivating Concepts. The team at Cultivating Concepts has formulated this special compost and manure based substrate for optimal mushroom growth. The included pocket of rye berries helps ensure proper spawn development and rapid colonization.

Here is some more from Cultivating Concepts about this wonderful new product:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Our compost based Signature Substrate formula is over two years in development, brought to you by some of the most trusted people in the mushroom community. This is not a common substrate formula, the Signature Substrate is a one of a kind original creation prepared to the highest standards with quality ingredients.

A perfect substrate balances both optimal nutrition and water absorption/delivery. The Signature Substrate does both. Optimal pH ensures fungal mycelia rapidly colonize the substrate, leaving no room for contaminates to take hold. Starting with a sterile culture is absolutely paramount for best results.

Signature Substrate comes pre-sterilized in filter patch bags, loaded to five pounds, and ready for use. To make inoculation as easy as possible, we have included a professional self-healing injection port to ensure a stress free inoculation. The incorporated rye pocket directly under the injection site aids in rapid colonization. Once the rye has colonized, simply mix into the remaining compost to create hundreds of inoculation points and quickly allow the bag contents to fully colonize.

Thanks for choosing the Signature Substrate from Cultivating Concepts. This revolutionary substrate formula features on the highest quality ingredients, prepared with high standards, with true innovation and ingenuity. The Signature Substrate is backed with a 100% contaminate free guarantee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Spore Works has never offered a manure based Substrate, but we feel these folks have done it right and we are excited to have them represented in our catalog.

Weekly Special Pricing: As an introductory offer we are knocking 10%-off our standard retail price until Midnight Monday December 17th!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesynergistic
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: psilocyber]
    #7754950 - 12/13/07 06:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

How much lc/spores should you use with this? How many quarts are in each bag approximately? Do you have any pictures of the bags fruiting? Thanks.

InvisibleMastamike1118
Male

Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: synergistic]
    #7755707 - 12/13/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

good question... im guessing lc will be required???

Edited by Mastamike1118 (12/13/07 08:23 PM)

Invisibleem_bre_O
shroomery'sEmbryoticAsshole
 User Gallery

Loc: In the stages of develope...
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: Mastamike1118]
    #7756304 - 12/13/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Nope.

I do this with half gallon jars.Multispore inoculation.

InvisibleWonderland420
WTF
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: em_bre_O]
    #7757527 - 12/14/07 08:58 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I use spore syringes on my bags from CC

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: psilocyber]
    #7757768 - 12/14/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

How would you make a casing of this...after the hpoo was colonized?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #7757982 - 12/14/07 11:29 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I like this idea. I supposed you could push/force the colonized mycelium around at first to help get that grain colonized

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: synergistic]
    #7758336 - 12/14/07 01:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

synergistic said:
How much lc/spores should you use with this? How many quarts are in each bag approximately? Do you have any pictures of the bags fruiting? Thanks.

We supply the single bag kits with a 3cc culture, and the four bag kits with a 10cc culture. So anywhere from 2cc to 3cc per bag should be enough to get things going. You inject culture onto the pocket of rye, and allow it to colonize a bit before mixing it with the rest of the manure substrate.

Just like with any bulk or spawn substrate, you can crumble it into a tray once it is colonized and apply a casing. Or you could just cut the excess tog bag material off, say 1-2 inches above the top of the substrate. Then directly apply the casing, using the remaining bottom of the bag as a built in tray.

Here are some great pics from CC of oysters on the Signature Substrate:

Offlineabesh
Warrior SixDelta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7758407 - 12/14/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:eek: :congrats:

--------------------
If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
- Scott Adams

Offlinethemycologist
c21h30o2 inhaler
Loc: spiritual enlightenment
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: abesh]
    #7761021 - 12/15/07 06:33 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

fruiting can be done right in the bag without cutting it or casing or anything, right?

--------------------
"oh god...did you eat all this acid...?
you better pray to god there's some thorazine in that bag,
otherwise you're in bad fucking trouble..." - Raoul Duke

*everything written above is hypothetical, a farce, balderdash*

OfflineNem
Stranger
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: themycologist]
    #7767418 - 12/16/07 09:13 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

themycologist said:
fruiting can be done right in the bag without cutting it or casing or anything, right?

That is my question as well.

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: Nem]
    #7767457 - 12/16/07 09:24 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

That is what the rye berries are there for. You inject the rye berries with spores or LC, wait for them to colonize, then you mix them in with the rest of the bag. As you know.....you must spawn to the poo mix...you can't do LC or spores directly to it with any level of success. I have read rarely (very) where someone on the Shroomery has claimed they have done it....so I would stick to the status quo.

Actually this is a pretty smart move on Sporeworks part. It also makes it both more convenient and more sterile by the entire process taking place within the spawn bag. When all in the bag is colonized...you can either use the bag to fruit or you can pull it out and case it. The risk of contamination is much lower once mycellium has colonized the entire thing....so casing it holds less risk IMHO.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: themycologist]
    #7767493 - 12/16/07 09:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

themycologist said:

Apparently yes.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7507080/an/0/page/0

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: Workman]
    #7767529 - 12/16/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

My only concern in the ratio of the rye berries spawn to the proprietary mix....seems like it is a small amount of spawn.....perhaps the sponsor has an answer for this concern?

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: oysterguy63]
    #7767595 - 12/16/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I had the same concern actually. I was told that the grain is actually in a deep pocket in the center and not just a thin layer scattered on the surface.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: Workman]
    #7767726 - 12/16/07 10:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Workman said:
I had the same concern actually. I was told that the grain is actually in a deep pocket in the center and not just a thin layer scattered on the surface.

Ahhh.......so what appears on the surface (which in reality would be a really poor ratio) is just what's visible? If it goes deep into the center and hits at least 5:1 and preferably 4:1..I am all over it.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Edited by oysterguy63 (12/16/07 10:22 PM)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: Sporeworks: New manure based Signature Substrate bags from Cultivating Concepts [Re: oysterguy63]
    #7768477 - 12/17/07 07:55 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

oysterguy63 said:
That is what the rye berries are there for. You inject the rye berries with spores or LC, wait for them to colonize, then you mix them in with the rest of the bag. As you know.....you must spawn to the poo mix...you can't do LC or spores directly to it with any level of success. I have read rarely (very) where someone on the Shroomery has claimed they have done it....so I would stick to the status quo.

Actually this is a pretty smart move on Sporeworks part. It also makes it both more convenient and more sterile by the entire process taking place within the spawn bag. When all in the bag is colonized...you can either use the bag to fruit or you can pull it out and case it. The risk of contamination is much lower once mycellium has colonized the entire thing....so casing it holds less risk IMHO.

While we appreciate the kind words, we should probably give credit where credit is due. The spawn "pocket" idea isn't really all that new.

The idea may even be older than I'm giving credit, but it was MycoBag, now Mycofactory, that combined the idea of using grains inside of autoclave bags as a built in spawn to help colonize other substrates which traditionally don't do well with direct LC injection. Their product (which I don't think is currently avaialble) utilized corn to act as a spawning layer for wooden dowels, thereby allowing end users to produce colonized plug spawn with no sterile culture or transfer work needed.

Our friends at a local gourmet mushroom specialty shop recently utilized this same line of thought when they introduced a supplemented sawdust bag with a built in pocket of rye behind a self-healing injection port. Thus allowing end users to create sawdust fruiting blocks for wood loving mushrooms with direct culture injection, no sterile transfer work required.

Cultivating Concepts (where all credit for the Signature Substrate bag should be placed) has expanded on the idea a bit by placing the pocket on the top and in the middle of the manure based substrate. It is indeed a "scoop" of rye in a "pocket," about the size of a baseball (maybe a little larger). It is certainly enough to generate a good mycelium mass for spawning the remaining manure once colonized. I'm not sure the ratio of grain to manure, but I will check on that for you!

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#7769171 - 12/17/07 11:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thank you...much appreciated. First I had seen done quite like that...looking forward to giving it a shot.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Offlinethemycologist
c21h30o2 inhaler
Loc: spiritual enlightenment
    #7769743 - 12/17/07 01:50 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

oysterguy63 said:
As you know.....you must spawn to the poo mix...you can't do LC or spores directly to it with any level of success.  I have read rarely (very) where someone on the Shroomery has claimed they have done it....so I would stick to the status quo.

Actually, the great thing about the manure based substrate by CC is that you CAN used LC or spores directly on it.  That's what it was made for.  However, without the rye pocket, it required practically an entire 10ml spore syringe.  With the rye pocket, the amount of spores needed is cut to 2-3ml - that's the beauty part. :smile:

--------------------
"oh god...did you eat all this acid...?
you better pray to god there's some thorazine in that bag,
otherwise you're in bad fucking trouble..." - Raoul Duke

*everything written above is hypothetical, a farce, balderdash*

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#7770357 - 12/17/07 04:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

themycologist said:
Quote:

oysterguy63 said:
As you know.....you must spawn to the poo mix...you can't do LC or spores directly to it with any level of success.  I have read rarely (very) where someone on the Shroomery has claimed they have done it....so I would stick to the status quo.

Actually, the great thing about the manure based substrate by CC is that you CAN used LC or spores directly on it.  That's what it was made for.  However, without the rye pocket, it required practically an entire 10ml spore syringe.  With the rye pocket, the amount of spores needed is cut to 2-3ml - that's the beauty part. :smile:

I have NEVER had any luck with it, so I guess I will just speak for myself.....and I used about 20 ml of LC to five pounds of past H Poo the last time I tried it. From my own experience......not good.  I haven't read too many success stories on the message boards either...but I am not an old hand at this either...so I stand corrected.  Did not mean to misiform if I did so.  :smile:

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale