Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroommarren
fungi fanatic
 User Gallery

Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved??
    #7743833 - 12/11/07 04:59 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but i absolutely hate to waste substrate material that ive saved. I saved my spent coffee grounds in an airtight container in the fridge(bad idea, now I know. moist stagnant air and i got mold in no time. Duh.) Stored longer than expected due to waiting on coir bricks in the mail. Long story short-alittle bit of white colored mold on the coffee. Almost looks like cobweb, but doesnt seem all that grey. Is it possible to PC the grounds before i add them to the coir and pasturize-and all be ok??

Im sure Alot of opinions would be "throw the shit out, its just coffee, get some more." I DONT like wasting resources. I don't like spending extra time PCing stuff either, but i just want to know if that could save my batch 'o' grounds.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved?? [Re: mushroommarren]
    #7743839 - 12/11/07 05:05 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Pasteurizing should kill everything but I wouldnt risk it.

Star bucks will give u all the grounds you need... free.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7743889 - 12/11/07 06:12 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mushroommarren said:
I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but i absolutely hate to waste substrate material that ive saved. I saved my spent coffee grounds in an airtight container in the fridge(bad idea, now I know. moist stagnant air and i got mold in no time. Duh.) Stored longer than expected due to waiting on coir bricks in the mail. Long story short-alittle bit of white colored mold on the coffee. Almost looks like cobweb, but doesnt seem all that grey. Is it possible to PC the grounds before i add them to the coir and pasturize-and all be ok??

Im sure Alot of opinions would be "throw the shit out, its just coffee, get some more." I DONT like wasting resources. I don't like spending extra time PCing stuff either, but i just want to know if that could save my batch 'o' grounds.

Use them by all means, mold mycelia is easier to kill than it's spores but the mold will have consumed some of the nutes

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved?? [Re: Nibin]
    #7743965 - 12/11/07 07:24 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

NEVER use moldy substrate. Not only is there a chance that some of the spores will survive the sterilization/pasteurization, but the food your mushrooms want has already been eaten by the mold.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7744368 - 12/11/07 09:53 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

If you live in the states then there has got to be some sort of coffee house near you, star bucks or some local chain. They will give you their left over ground for free.
This is where i get my grounds for my oyster

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinerougetarget
Stranger
Re: Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved?? [Re: tahoe]
    #7744394 - 12/11/07 10:08 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
If you live in the states then there has got to be some sort of coffee house near you, star bucks or some local chain. They will give you their left over ground for free.
This is where i get my grounds for my oyster

qft I just acquired some from a starbucks, some have posted they keep it near the door so I searched around near the entrance for spent coffee grounds lol, then I just went and asked and sure enough they gave me more than enough. Gave me roughly over a 1/4 of a trashbag fresh spent coffee ground and if that's not enough you can always go back for more...it's starbucks

OfflineMotorCityMadman
Rubberfan andFunketeer
 User Gallery

Loc: Motown (State of Mind)
Re: Molded coffee grounds...Can they be saved?? [Re: rougetarget]
    #7744805 - 12/11/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

and keep fresh grounds in the freezer, not the fridge, and they'll keep just fine.

Offlinemushroommarren
fungi fanatic
 User Gallery

#7748233 - 12/12/07 07:38 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

READ THE FIRST POST!! Some of you are too quick to type. In theory, PCing (used in my first post means PRESSURE COOKING) will kill mold spores or any myc. growing. Being that mold does not produce any protein shell to resist chemical or heat destruction (edospore) it seems reasonable to say that PCed (pressure cooked) coffee grounds that had been slightly contamed would then be sterile, ---free of any mold or spores.

Everyone here is saying NO!!! If i had 10lb of coffee grounds and some significant amounts of straw. and had committed to PCing (thats pressure cooking, again folks, read the origional post. Its not that hard) any and all contamed grounds, i'd be risking it. No, i really don't think so. Sterilize, add to coir, pasurize. Im sorry i had to make it that simple.

As for the nutes being used by the mold..........Come on. Recommended coffee to coir ratios would suggest that the coffee is so nutrient that it is benificial in amounts ranging from 10 to 30 percent. So the nutient level of the coffee argument doesnt fly.

I REALLY DONT UNDERSTAND EVERYONES NEGETIVE ideas unless they aren't reading the origional post or they just happen to be f*ckin retarded.

PS this is not a "newb" thread. bs is not needed. information is. Ignorance and lazyness are not part of this hobby or my lifestyle. Thank you.

PS. I am dearly sorry to my fellow shroomers who read this and think that i am any angry or rude individual. i am not. advise is being tossed our way without any regard to what is really being asked. i keep seeing it. too much byass, too much opinion on what is right and what is'nt. less science, more "I do it this way".

Im just sorry a moderater seems not to read the origional post as well. RR, i respect your wisdom of the mushroom, but your haste has set you back..................................

Offlinemushroommarren
fungi fanatic
 User Gallery

#7748249 - 12/12/07 07:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I'm PCing the grounds, then mix with coir, then pasturize. First thread says it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7748262 - 12/12/07 07:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Being an ass will get you nowhere around here. I, as well as the others read your post and we're not all retarded. Don't be a dick, and if you want to use moldy substrate and call us illiterate morons for recommending against it, suit yourself. You're on your own.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom