Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Gentamycin in Syringes.
    #7727255 - 12/07/07 04:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I have come across a few people IRL who use gentamycin sulphate in their syringes.

I think I recall RR doing this, but is it a common thing to do? Does it have any negative effects at all?

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gentamycin in Syringes. [Re: Nibin]
    #7727354 - 12/07/07 05:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

For what purpose? I can't see any reason for using antibiotics in a syringe. Nothing is going to grow in distilled water, not even the spores within the syringe. Bacteria wouldn't grow either, so it's not necessary. It sure won't help if the substrate you inject is exposed to bacteria. The 1 or 2 ml per jar of solution won't have enough antibiotic to do anything.

Gentamicin sulphate has a place in agar work. Some growers have added it to grains, but I would discourage the practice. Not only is it expensive, costing about $5 to $10 for enough to do a 1 quart grain jar, but I'd worry about creating super strains of antibiotic resistant bacteria.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gentamycin in Syringes. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7727371 - 12/07/07 06:18 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RR said:
Personally, I use between 1/20 and 1/15 of a gram of gentamycin sulphate per liter in my agar as an antibiotic when germinating spores, cloning, or using a culture obtained from somebody else that might be of unknown cleanliness.

I dug up the old post. I see, you only use it in agar.

I thought it was excessive but one of the guys I know that uses it swears by it.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Gentamycin in Syringes. [Re: Nibin]
    #7727393 - 12/07/07 06:34 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't see any problem using it, aside from the cost. It would help keep your syringe bacteria free and reduce contaminations at the innoc sites, which is a common place for contams to start.

There is really no substitute for good sterile technique, which eliminates the need for antibiotics.

-FF

OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Gentamycin in Syringes. [Re: fastfred]
    #7728326 - 12/07/07 01:16 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Spores often have resident dormant bacteria on them and they can degrade the spores in solution if given enough time. I don't think gent will hurt anything and it should be beneficial. The only problem I can see is the development of antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. If those escaped and contaminated your lab, that could be trouble. But the risk seems minimal. I'd go ahead and maybe make some without antibiotic for a comparison. Personally, I hate syringes. I'm more of a print and agar guy.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation