Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
The Shit We Eat
    #7717437 - 12/04/07 09:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Is it just me or does anyone elses mind boggle when you try to conceive of some of the toxic shit we "civilized" humans eat? Especially in western culture. I'm including myself in this of course, I eat about as much crap as anyone, even though I know better. Sometimes it's all there is.

First you have to consider the denatured-nature of almost all processed foods. They take grains and strip it of all the healthy shit, all the fiber, all the vitamins, bleach it.. mix it with some preservatives and refined sugars and call it bread. Even on your fruits and vegetables and shit you have to be worried about pesticides out the ass (I think I read somewhere the average human is eating a -shitton- of pesticides per year, I forgot the exact number.. but it wasn't good). And that's just for the people who actually even eat fruits and vegetables. Most people just go to mcdonalds and dont even worry about it. Which, let's not even get into that. Virtually everything that's called "food" at the grocery store or wherever, is loaded with either refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, 'refined' flours, and it lacking fiber, healthy fats and cholesterol, or whole grains.. and most is lacking any sort of nutritional content whatsoever.

And then we wonder why we are the fattest nation on Earth.. and have these huge epidemics of degenerative disease and illnesses. (90% of which stem from terrible, terrible, diets.)
And what's the answer? Pills. Lots and lots of pills.

It's actually a pretty ingenious system if you think about it. Keep people in a perpetual state of sickness by denying their bodies the basic life force from whole, natural foods. Fill their denatured food with carcinogens and toxins and other things which are poisonous to the human body and psyche. Then the pharmaceutical industry will never run out of business. Hell, we could even invent new diseases.

I know there are options but to actually eat healthy in this system can be somewhat of a challenge. You really only have two options.. grow your own food or pay out the ass for it. (Or pay Farmer Joe down the road... if you are lucky enough to have a farmer Joe living down the road)
Which brings me to my next point.. why is "natural" food generally more expensive than the adulterated shit..shouldn't it be the other way around??

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikeytro
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Shroomism]
    #7717461 - 12/04/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I completely agree with you
I constantly think in my head how fucked up our culture is compared to the history of humans
the poor must eat cheap, usually not the healthiest food and I tend to see more financially strained people to be fat
and the people who have more money are the only ones who can afford to eat healthy
compared to way back when, when being fat was a sign you were well off and all food was natural

the past few months I have been putting horrible food in my body. due to school, being poor, and not having time
usually I make an effort and put the time + money into healthier choices. hell I work at whole foods

as for why natural food is more expensive - pesticides and all that shit they do to food make it easier and faster to produce/make food, opposed to growing food naturally where it rots wayyyy faster and cant produce as much.

just my 2 cents

we need to take a step back and look at what is going on

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Einstein

Edited by mikeytro (12/04/07 09:09 PM)

Offlinemilkman
DeliveringWorldWide
Male User Gallery

Loc: tha FLA
    #7717463 - 12/04/07 09:07 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Whole Foods(TM)

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #7717466 - 12/04/07 09:07 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

More natural food is more expensive because it costs more to produce, and it doesn't last as long. Hence all the refinements.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

Offlineshroom_ninja
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: circularvortex]
    #7717477 - 12/04/07 09:10 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

natural food is free if you grow it.

one who really liked to argue could suggest that food you "buy" isn't natural, period.

edited: I mean, food that you buy from a store or company. Buying eggs from your neighbor is a bit different.

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
    #7717478 - 12/04/07 09:10 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

What you have said is true. We do have the advantages of modern medicine so eating healthily isn't as important as it once was. Maybe its even more important. :shrug:

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Edited by robbyberto (12/04/07 09:14 PM)

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #7717492 - 12/04/07 09:14 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

100% agree dude.

I wanna get some land and move off the grid.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7717520 - 12/04/07 09:18 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

But it only costs more to produce because the system is set up that way. In reality it costs more to produce the non-organic shit.. logically.. there are more steps. Then you have the added buttfuck of the FDA not regulating jack shit, so virtually anyone can call their shit organic or natural since it's some loosely-defined term. When I say organic or natural .. I mean fucking organic or natural. A potato that comes out of the ground and doesn't have any other chemicals on it or added to it is organic.

Quote:

milkman said:
Whole Foods(TM)

Is fucking expensive as fuck.
Like I said.... grow your own or pay out the ass for it. But I'm not rich so I can't shop at whole foods. I do sometimes when I'm feeling crazy.. and I like eating good food.. but I can't justify spending half my income to eat like a normal human should.

But yeah.. food isn't supposed to last forever. Preservatives were good for some things but we've gone WaaaaaaaaaY overboard with them. In the old days people used to go to the market every day and get their fresh breads and vegetables and shit. They still do in some places, in some cultures. But nowadays we eat more preservatives in our food than actual food. We should just stick with what works.. fermentation, freezing, and salt-curing.

--------------------

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: sui]
    #7717535 - 12/04/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I noticed this past year just how many food recalls there were.  Seems like more than ever before. 

I am lucky enough to have a little land in the country.  These recalls have kind of motivated me to go more natural.  I already garden a little but have planned on going bigger this year.  Also plan on getting a few chickens.

Hormone free and pesticide free just seems like a good idea.

OMG!  I am turning into my mother!  :eek:

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: milkman]
    #7717552 - 12/04/07 09:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

milkman said:
Whole Foods(TM)

That'd be nice, somebody send me a couple hundred extra bucks a month and I'll start shopping there.  Better make it three hundred... :whistling:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: robbyberto]
    #7717555 - 12/04/07 09:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

robbyberto said:
What you have said is true. We do have the advantages of modern medicine so eating healthily isn't as important as it once was. Maybe its even more important. :shrug:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.. I think it's that we don't have to eat healthy because we have modern medicine? Correct me if I'm wrong..

But we ARE what we eat. And with all these advances in modern medicine (which quite frankly are very amazing.. say if you... broke your leg or something).. modern medicine can do a great many amazing things compared to 100 years ago. But chronic and degenerative illnesses are WORSE THAN EVER.

Diet plays such a HUGE ROLE in health and that fact is so largely ignored and not even considered in most of the medical industry. Modern medicine is amazing for heroic medicine, but it can't do anything for a debilitating disease that stems from a direct result of poor nutrition. Which is where most modern diseases stem from, poor nutrition and deficiencies in the diet, with major excesses in other (harmful) things.

An ounce of prevention is worth 500 lbs of cure. If you don't get diabetes or pancreatic cancer in the first place, then you dont need the surgery or lifetime of insulin.
Foods are either healing you or they are killing you. There really isn't much inbetween.

The other thing I think is FUCKING REDICULOUS.. is that its against the law to claim a food can cure a certain disease or illness.. or else it has to be classified as a drug according to the FDA. And if you are selling a food claiming it can cure a disease then technically they could put you in jail for it (selling drugs).

Like say for example you were selling oranges, and saying they were the cure for scurvy... (which they are..)

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Noviseer]
    #7717560 - 12/04/07 09:27 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
Quote:

milkman said:
Whole Foods(TM)

That'd be nice, somebody send me a couple hundred extra bucks a month and I'll start shopping there.  Better make it three hundred... :whistling:

Same here.
Shit, better make it five hundred for me. I get hungry.

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
    #7717613 - 12/04/07 09:39 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

dont you people have local farmer markets?
awesome food is found at these places for a nice price.

i agree with th whole 'usa eats bullshit and thats why they are sick' theory,

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

#7717627 - 12/04/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I meant that people can eat McDonalds everyday for the rest of their lives, some actually do, and live to be 70. You can live a long life and eat absolute crap. It doesn't excuse it and you won't feel well but medicine can extend the life spans of people who eat very poorly. Just thought I'd add that even though it didn't add to the discussion. I think people eat poorly because they aren't taught how to do otherwise. I mean parents feed their kids happy meals and all this other crap and don't set any kind of a foundation for their children to grow up and eat well.

Edited by robbyberto (12/04/07 09:44 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7717637 - 12/04/07 09:42 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

What a shitty life that would be. Eating mcdonalds everyday.
Shit I ate it three days in a row once and I thought I was gonna die. no joke.

But for every person that eats mcdonalds everyday until they are 70, there is the person that dying from coronary heart failure at the age of 32.

As for farmer's markets.. I fucking love them. I just moved though so I don't know if there's one around.. but there's gotta be somewhere.

--------------------

OfflineMocha Bear
BHP
Male

Loc: Mississippi
    #7717678 - 12/04/07 09:49 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

Dude that's the life down here in The delta of Mississippi. People go to McDonalds 7 days a week and when I was younger I could've eaten it 2 or 3 times a day. That's just how it was. My mom has always been really busy with work and school as my dad with work that they'd bring home happy meals and that's what we lived off of.

I mean she did cook but that was usually a weekend thing and it's sad to say but that's how alot of people are raised. I don't even touch McDonalds anymore because I'm trying to change all my bad eating habits and become healthy.

--------------------
The love you take is equal to the love you make....

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #7717691 - 12/04/07 09:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

i do taht to myself every now and then. eat nothing but fast food for a few days straight. it makes me so disgusted with myself. every time:shrug: i do it, i still don't know why i submit to that :shrug:

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Syle]
    #7717768 - 12/04/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Where do all the Little Leaguers go after a game?

Party at McD's :bongload:

Hell, I remember most kids would order junk food from the concession stand _DURING_ the game and sit in the dugout and scarf.

You think we've got it bad?  These kids have little hope, as far as eating healthy in the future is concerned.  Hopefully, things will change for the better.  This issue should have as much awareness as Global Warming and being green.

You go to the cafeteria here at the university and everything is breaded and deep fried.  :wtf: Nobody knows how to bake chicken anymore? They honestly serve breaded, deep fried cauliflower.

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
    #7717861 - 12/04/07 10:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Is it just me or does anyone elses mind boggle when you try to conceive of some of the toxic shit we "civilized" humans eat?

Sometimes when I'm tired of the hassle of eating right.

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7717876 - 12/04/07 10:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Which brings me to my next point.. why is "natural" food generally more expensive than the adulterated shit..shouldn't it be the other way around??

While the foods with adulterants have added production costs, they also produce more. The higher production easily over-compensates the added production costs.

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: skydog]
    #7717883 - 12/04/07 10:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Ya, there is a serious issue with people's diets. But its not all bad. People always talk high and mighty about hating fast food, hating hydrogenated oils (this is the real killer), and high fructose corn syrup.

Then they follow it up with a big cop out of "But what can you do" or "healthy food is expensive". Sure its expensive to move to a 100% crazy healthy diet. But its only a few extra dollars to your food budget to stay away 80% of shit. Taking a few seconds to read a food label and comparing it to a competitor is often the most work involved. Even a shitty big grocery store like walmart has good food if you stay away from the big display that attracts retards.

Growing your own food and raising some chickens is a super way of getting some healthy food, but its by no means feasible for 99% of people. The best way is to SUPPORT companies that still make good food. Don't worry about the 'organic" label, just like all other federally allowed labels it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Look at the ingredient list. If you see the word "high fructose", "hydrogenated", or "bleached". Just put the thing back on the shelf. And look for another product. The problem in america is really a weak will. Consumers just grab the cheap product. Or they quickly rationalize eating known crappy food because its "cheap".

Well, your medical bills will catch up with you and you will never have saved that much on food. You'll live a longer healthier life. And that will be more healthy years, not more years clinging to life like a shipwreck survivor.

As a side bonus, your food will taste better.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: skydog]
    #7717892 - 12/04/07 11:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Edit: Whoops. How did i post that twice?

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Edited by Nephlyte (12/04/07 11:01 PM)

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#7717907 - 12/04/07 11:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

can't forget the shit we drink.
roughly 90% of fluoride added to municipal water supplies is "scrubbed" from the smokestacks of the florida phosphate industry.
i don't know if you all got the memo, turns out toxic waste is good for you :wink:

great points shroomism.
i've been experimenting with my diet for 3 and a half years and have only begun to get a handle on the relationship between the effects of what i have ingested, and my overall mental state.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
And then we wonder why we are the fattest nation on Earth.. and have these huge epidemics of degenerative disease and illnesses. (90% of which stem from terrible, terrible, diets.)

jerry brunetti has survived cancer for 8 years by changing his diet..
this is his 3 hour presentation: Food As Medicine

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7717915 - 12/04/07 11:08 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You know, I used to scoff at the whole "organic" craze, but then I started buying organic fruit at this Whole Foods place(which doesn't seem nearly as expensive as everyone makes it out to be), and it makes me feel so much better. "An apple a day" is more than just an expression. Most fast food grosses me out now, especially McDonald's. I'll eat at Subway like once a week, and on rare occasions I'll have Arby's, but that's about it. I try to limit the amount of meat I eat, and have lately started eating protein bars.

I used to work with this fat chick who would bring McDonald's to work every day! Then she would constantly have snacks around her desk like Doritos and candy. Seeing her fat ass eat all that shit was enough to turn me off to junk food for quite a while.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7717988 - 12/04/07 11:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It is a shame to see that this trend is already so deeply rooted within the culture. It's gotten to the point where the very systems driving the organization of food are indistinguishable from the profit driven systems of bureaucratic corporation.

Nowadays food is no longer marketed as a life sustaining nourishment, which is its real purpose, but as something that is supposed to make your taste buds go off. I've met people telling me they drink soda because water tastes like nothing. What the fuck?

We are being fed a totally wrong idea of what it means to eat. In some ridiculous way we have lost the connection, as a society.

I agree that it isn't easy to financially manage the ideal healthy diet. Shit's expensive and prices are probably only going to increase as time goes by.

My solution. We need to simplify, narrow down our needs, find the most complete, efficient, and effective foods and include these into our daily lives.

I post a lot about the super green foods such as chlorella and spirulina for a reason. And the reason is that they are incredibly nutrient-dense. They literally pack more energy than your common vegetable plate.

This goes for hemp seeds as well. :wink:

It is these kinds of foods that can facilitate an approach towards benefiting a healthy way of life, independently from what is being programmed into our minds by the junk food and pharmaceutical industries. It is this kind of action that can liberate us from the clutches of a sick culture: Taking charge of our own lives.

I say let people be responsible for their own choices.
They can eat McFrownald's all they want, what do I care?

I care about my happiness. That's what matters. To see the changes I wish to see in the world, I first need to make them in my own life.

Let your change be your message.

That's my message.

Peace and Love.

--------------------

Edited by AlteredAgain (12/04/07 11:41 PM)

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Cowgold]
    #7717990 - 12/04/07 11:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I usually eat pretty decently and McDonalds just seems fucking disgusting. I used to eat it, but I dunno, I think they've gotten worse as time has gone on...

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

#7718036 - 12/04/07 11:51 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

circularvortex said:
I usually eat pretty decently and McDonalds just seems fucking disgusting.  I used to eat it, but I dunno, I think they've gotten worse  as time has gone on...

Nah, your taste has just improved.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7718111 - 12/05/07 12:19 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Why is healthy food more expensive than crap food?

It sucks man. I can go get 2,000 calories of garbage at McDonald's for $2.00 but to get 2,000 calories of healthy food it's like $10.00 at least. That's why my grocery bill is over $100 every week. But, I look at it like an investment. When I'm older my body won't be falling apart like it will be for most people.

"If man made it then don't eat it" - Jack Lalane

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7718151 - 12/05/07 12:33 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
But it only costs more to produce because the system is set up that way. In reality it costs more to produce the non-organic shit..

That's not true. It is cheaper to spray pesticides so that half of your crop doesn't get eaten away by insects. It is cheaper to load food with preservatives so that it can stay on the shelf longer. Organic healthy stuff is expensive because a lot more effort goes into it and it has a shorter shelf life.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Then you have the added buttfuck of the FDA not regulating jack shit, so virtually anyone can call their shit organic or natural since it's some loosely-defined term.

Again, that's not true. The FDA has pretty strict guidelines on things being called "organic". For example, your farm has to follow organic guidelines for three years until you can call yourself organic. But, admittedly the guidelines are goofy at times and they vary from product to product.

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7718515 - 12/05/07 05:23 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Why is healthy food more expensive than crap food?
But, I look at it like an investment.  When I'm older my body won't be falling apart like it will be for most people.

:yesnod:

So far, since I've been living on my own for awhile now, I've noticed that there's really nothing better to spend your money on than good food, and maybe dank nugz (:smilingpuppy:)

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7718544 - 12/05/07 06:00 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

around here, we get 97+ (often upwards of 100) bushels of corn/acre using synthetic fertilizers. With only organic manure and (inorganic) minerals (ex. limestone), we get about 53 bu/ac.

Organic production could not sustain our population unless virtually everyone was growing food for themselves. Now, from here, this goes into population problems, energy problems, and the drive for money.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: demiu5]
    #7718692 - 12/05/07 07:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

97, LOL

We stay over 200 around here.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Clean]
    #7718741 - 12/05/07 08:12 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Clean said:
jerry brunetti has survived cancer for 8 years by changing his diet..
this is his 3 hour presentation: Food As Medicine

Super awesome video :thumbup: I've watched it several times.
recommend everyone check that video out

Yeah the shit we drink too that's a whole other can of worms. The human body can't live without water yet we put neurotoxins??? into the drinking water. How does that one work. But it goes beyond that, I've known people who don't even "like" water. Like they say "it doesn't taste good". It's not fucking supposed to taste good, it's fucking WATER - THE BASIS OF LIFE. But then they'll go and drink a 5th of rum like that tastes good? Then maybe drink some Coke - The official drink of Satan.. and then wonder why they are dehydrated and hungover the next day and bitch about it. I mean come on.

But yeah Altered I agree. It's not my job to go around telling people what they should or shouldn't eat or drink, they can eat what they want and everyone has free will. But on some level I guess I feel some kind of responsibility to at least talk about it.. it seems like a pretty serious issue to me. People should at least be making informed decisions about what they are putting into their body.. whether it is food or drug. The way I see it there is not much difference between the two.

But we definitely need to redefine what "food" means. Just because something goes into your stomach and doesn't instantly kill you, does not a food make. Food should provide sustenance for the body and life-giving nutrients. Food shouldn't kill you. Which is why yes, I'm glad you are promoting the super green foods. If you need the most amount of benefit from the least amount of food, then definitely spirulina, hemp or whatever else are a very good choice.

I s'pose I'll just mind my business and eat what makes me feel alive and not worry about what others eat. But you know the two girls 1 cup thing.. I cant help but think some people eat like that.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7718747 - 12/05/07 08:17 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yesterday at the mentorship program my campus org. runs for middle school kids, we talked in detail about the negative effects of drinking Coke and eating/drinking anything with corn syrup in it. As soon as the program ended, one of the kids ran out and bought a Coke at the vending machine. One of the mentors yelled at him, and I understood why, but I think we need to allow people to make their own mistakes. I just worry about these kids... at the community rec center I used to play basketball at, in a low-income neighborhood, the only vending machines they had were for soda, high-sugar artificial fruit juice, and snickers/twix/skittles/doritos/all of that shit. It's fucked up, people are literally addicted by the time they're 6 or 7.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Lion]
    #7718766 - 12/05/07 08:27 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah it's pretty bad.. the shit is in your face wherever you go (thanks, billions of dollars in advertising and social conditioning over 50+ years). "kids like candy, give kids candy". It's too bad sugar is more addictive than crack and nicotine combined. I admit I'm a sugar FIEND, straight up. I like my icecream and I love my chocolate and I will even drink the ocassional 35grams of sugar - battery acid coke. That's a habit I'm trying to break but it's hard man, sugar is worse than crack, and worse... it's fucking everywhere.

--------------------

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7718821 - 12/05/07 08:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

They should put crack in a Snickers bar. That would rock.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7718858 - 12/05/07 09:01 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Yeah it's pretty bad.. the shit is in your face wherever you go (thanks, billions of dollars in advertising and social conditioning over 50+ years). "kids like candy, give kids candy". It's too bad sugar is more addictive than crack and nicotine combined. I admit I'm a sugar FIEND, straight up. I like my icecream and I love my chocolate and I will even drink the ocassional 35grams of sugar - battery acid coke. That's a habit I'm trying to break but it's hard man, sugar is worse than crack, and worse... it's fucking everywhere.

Chocolate is one of my weaknesses, esp. dark. Luckily I just kind of stopped enjoying soda and never picked it up again. Now all I drink is water, with the occassional green tea, beer, wine, fruit juice, and soy milk.

"everywhere i go, all i see is my own desires"

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7718886 - 12/05/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Things like this scare the shit out of me. It's just disgusting to see people blindly eating like livestock and not thinking at all about what's going on. Then they balloon up and have to take 16 pills to be about 4% better.

My mom is a pretty good example. She looks like shit (sorry, but she does. Both in complexion and body shape), feels like shit, thinks like shit, and generally has a pretty crappy life thanks to what she eats. But she'll only listen to me for like one day and try to eat better. Then she'll quit a couple hours later and say she just doesn't feel like thinking about it while turning on Oprah.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Eating well is pretty easy. Just shop around the border of the store which is pretty much where all the vegetables, meats, nuts, and dairies are. Grains are mainly unnecessary filler, but in moderation they shouldn't be a problem (sadly our schools tell us to get as much of these as possible). Then when you need condiments or oils dive in to the shit storm of junk that's killing everyone and look for the least adultered things.

Then again, there's the issue about what they put in the meats and vegetables. Though most grocery stores are actually starting to stock free range meats and things like that. Buying mass amounts of these might actually help in the war against hormone stricken meat.

Most people would drop so many diseases if they just never hit those damn aisles in the center. Why do people want so much sugar and trash anyway?

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#7718888 - 12/05/07 09:14 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The two most subsidized crops are Corn and Soybeans. So, most farmers will grow these because they get the most money from the government. What can we make from corn and soybeans? high fructose corn syrup for one.

its all poor government.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7718897 - 12/05/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

The thing is most of this can be solved. There are a lot of less sugar filled ice creams out there, dark chocolate is actually good and even sugarless if you find a good brand, and diet sodas easily replace normal sodas.

People seem to forget that a lot of our normal junk foods are bastardized versions of what used to be nice things made at home. Okay pastries suck, but what about pizza? You definitely could make a tastier pizza than Papa John's at home even with annoyingly healthy ingredients. You don't even need much cooking experience to make better burritos than chipotle at home. Even some damn good fries can be made at home.

Sure it's not as convenient, but it'll taste better. And it won't be full of shit, and pumped full of calories.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: PyroBurns]
    #7718920 - 12/05/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I can agree on the less sugar ice creams, and dark chocolate. Hell, you can even substitute honey for sugar, which is actually healthy. But Diet Soda is no replacement for regular soda. Aspartame (the sweetener they use instead of sugar) is linked to all sorts of bad shit like cancer. I'm not sold on that Stevia crap either. But it's not even the sugar in soda that's the worst.. it's the combination of sugar, and phosphoric acid, and caffeine that makes it such a harmful cocktail of ingredients. Diet Soda isn't any better.

Even down to the milk. Milk is actually good for you... when it's not pasteurized and homogenized, and comes from hormone filled cows. The pastuerization process kills off all the essential acids and beneficial bacteria in milk which actually makes it unhealthy. Raw milk from grass fed cows is very good for you, but the pastuerized crap found in most commercial products is not.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7718985 - 12/05/07 10:05 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah diet soda is bad too, but it should help ween you from normal soda.

I used to drink 3 or 4 cans of soda a day, but it would have been far more if I didn't have to conserve. I just weened myself down by a can per week until it was finally gone. And I never really craved it again. Some people go the diet soda route to make it easier.

I'll still drink some diet soda every now and then but that's only when I'm really damn stressed and need to avoid overeating. I bought a pack this week to help overcome the finals.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7718998 - 12/05/07 10:09 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I always just thought diet soda was a total cop-out. Like the 300 lb woman who goes to mcdonalds, and order 2 Big macs, extra large fries and a Diet Coke please.. I'm trying to watch my weight. lol.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7719009 - 12/05/07 10:13 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well it does help not taking in extra calories.

When I get stressed, it's harder to get full. So it helps having a calorie free blob of strangely altered sugars carbonating in my stomach.

--------------------

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
    #7719011 - 12/05/07 10:14 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Most of this I agree with but Shroomism have you tried whole unpasteurized milk? Yuck! Double yuck! THat shit is nasty.

It's kind of like drinking milk with fat globs floating in it.

--------------------

InvisibleBIGSWANG
oakridge gang, beotch
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Iwishanigga woods
    #7719015 - 12/05/07 10:16 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i would never eat shit

--------------------
Admin Edit: Your signiture is inappropriate and has been removed.  Do not harass other members in your signiture.  Also refrain from posting links to scat pornography.  If I see anything like that here again, you will be banned.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: mushbaby]
    #7719023 - 12/05/07 10:18 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah I've had raw milk and I like it A LOT better than that pasteurized crap. The fat globs are supposed to be there.. it's good fat. I think it also HIGHLY depends on what the cows diet was like... like you are not supposed to be drinking raw milk from most of these cows who are grain-fed, with lots of hormones and shit.. that produces a very bad milk. The best milk comes from cows who eat mostly grass.

PyroBurns: I'm not sure where you're going with this whole calorie deal. Calories are good.. your body needs them for fuel. It just depends if you're eating the right calories. 2,000 calories from Mcdonalds does not = 2,000 calories from whole fruits and vegetables.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#7719029 - 12/05/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PyroBurns said:
I'll still drink some diet soda every now and then but that's only when I'm really damn stressed and need to avoid overeating.

I wonder how that helps since aspartame has been found to actually stimulate appetite. Food companies know this. It sells more product.

Water really is the answer if one chooses to improve their health. There isn't much grey area when it comes to drinking liquids in my opinion.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: BIGSWANG]
    #7719030 - 12/05/07 10:20 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

BIGSWANG said:
i would never eat shit

Maybe you wouldn't.. but lots of people do :smirk:

--------------------

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

#7719032 - 12/05/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Where does one acquire raw milk? Isn't there a piece of legislation that makes pasteurization mandatory? Also, do you have a link that discusses the benefits of raw milk? I'm interested.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7719043 - 12/05/07 10:23 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
PyroBurns: I'm not sure where you're going with this whole calorie deal. Calories are good.. your body needs them for fuel. It just depends if you're eating the right calories. 2,000 calories from Mcdonalds does not = 2,000 calories from whole fruits and vegetables.

Of course calories are good, but when you are so hungry you want to eat everything it's NOT good. And it's even better to have a 0 calorie thing make you stop wanting to eat.

"I wonder how that helps since aspartame actually stimulates appetite. Food companies know this. It sells more product.

Water really is the answer if one chooses to improve their health. There really isn't much grey area when it comes to drinking liquids in my opinion.
"

Water is obviously the best. But it's kind of hard to be hungry with 2 cans of gas liquid in your stomach.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7719061 - 12/05/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

robbyberto said:
Where does one acquire raw milk? Isn't there a piece of legislation that makes pasteurization mandatory? Also, do you have a link that discusses the benefits of raw milk? I'm interested.

Raw milk sales is legal in 28 out of 50 states. I believe it can be imported though.

The most informative sites I have found on the subject:
http://www.realmilk.com/what.html

http://www.realmilk.com/
http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #7719066 - 12/05/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
Quote:

PyroBurns said:
I'll still drink some diet soda every now and then but that's only when I'm really damn stressed and need to avoid overeating.

I wonder how that helps since aspartame has been found to actually stimulate appetite. Food companies know this. It sells more product.

Water really is the answer if one chooses to improve their health. There isn't much grey area when it comes to drinking liquids in my opinion.

:thumbup:

Water is the most perfect thing in the material universe imo.  Lao Tzu was spot on.  I always feel very spiritual when I drink 6-8 glasses a day in addition to a balanced diet. :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#7719078 - 12/05/07 10:31 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Have you considered that perhaps your extreme feelings of hunger are being caused by the diet foods that you intake?

I would suggest an experiment in daily life where you switch to a wholly organic way of eating, and just see what kind of results you get.

When your body says its hungry, I don't believe it is asking to be filled with a zero calorie carbonated liquid.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7719099 - 12/05/07 10:37 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

No, it's just asking for comfort food.

It could partly have something to do with my celiac's disease which I am doing my best to recover from. But it mainly just wants comfort food.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7719199 - 12/05/07 11:04 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It wants nourishment. 0 calories = 0 nourishment.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7719208 - 12/05/07 11:07 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well too bad. It's all mental anyway.

I'm giving it more than enough nourishment, especially since I'm giving myself a recovery week.

--------------------

Invisiblemachination
Stranger
Loc: Hringhorni
    #7719217 - 12/05/07 11:10 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the purer tjhe mineral the better the e[ner]g

honeys money

--------------------
"Have you not learned that your word is bond? Yes, my word is bond and bond is life, I shall give my life, before my word shall fail."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: demiu5]
    #7719326 - 12/05/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

around here, we get 97+ (often upwards of 100) bushels of corn/acre using synthetic fertilizers. With only organic manure and (inorganic) minerals (ex. limestone), we get about 53 bu/ac.

Organic production could not sustain our population unless virtually everyone was growing food for themselves. Now, from here, this goes into population problems, energy problems, and the drive for money.

If similar statistics apply to all crops, I guess you have a point. However, the US tends to produce too much corn. That's why in addition to eating corn, we put all that nasty corn syrup into all our food products. On a side note, it's because of all their high need for fertilizer and pesticides that corn is unsustainable as a source of ethanol.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Silversoul]
    #7719343 - 12/05/07 11:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

All of you people are so funny.

If you want to eat a bare-bones diet like a person in a developing country, you can do it ridiculously cheap.

Rice is the staple food of most of the world for that reason, its DIRT CHEAP. And vegetables are cheap too. Whoever said they can eat at McDonalds for less than they can actual food is just plain lying.

If you spend 6 dollars a meal at Mcdonalds, which is about what I spend when I go there, thats nearly $20 a day.

And if you cannot shop for yourself for 20 dollars a day at a regular supermarket, you are not trying very hard.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7719362 - 12/05/07 11:54 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Hold on there, Madtown.  We're talking about dollarmillionaires here. 

:mustardaccident:

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7719368 - 12/05/07 11:55 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Well Goddamn.

I can't stand this fucking bitching. If people want to eat healthy, they can. If they don't want to, they don't have to.

Nobody doesn't know Mcdonalds is killing them.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #7719406 - 12/05/07 12:04 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:

If you spend 6 dollars a meal at Mcdonalds, which is about what I spend when I go there, thats nearly $20 a day.

And if you cannot shop for yourself for 20 dollars a day at a regular supermarket, you are not trying very hard.

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7719409 - 12/05/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Well Goddamn.

I can't stand this fucking bitching. If people want to eat healthy, they can. If they don't want to, they don't have to.

Nobody doesn't know Mcdonalds is killing them.

True, but the larger problem is the extensive marketing to people in lower income brackets and getting kids hooked on addictice, ultra-unhealthy food at a young age. This may not be a personal problem for any of us but it's something worth trying to change in whatever way one can. It's worth bitching about because billions are being spent to trick Americans into killing their vitality, and not all of us have the tools of discernment or the alternative options to live healthier.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7719431 - 12/05/07 12:09 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Nobody is tricking anyone!

Do you honestly believe that the parents of these children think Mcdonalds is healthy?

You really believe this?

Of course its not true. EVERYONE knows that shit is junk food. Parents just don't care. Its easy, fast, and it tastes good to children.

You cannot punish Mcdonalds for parents making bad choices. Last time I checked, they had a Grilled Chicken Sandwich on the menu. Salads too, even w/out disgustingly fattening cream-based dressings. I bet they sell more double cheeseburgers though.

Supply and Demand.

We Demand, They Supply.

Its the same reason you can't blame Colombia for the US Drug Problem. Mop up the demand, and the supply will cease to be necessary.

--------------------

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
    #7719449 - 12/05/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

:congrats:

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#7719461 - 12/05/07 12:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It's true that everyone knows that junk food is shit.

But what I think people don't yet fully apprehend is just how significantly organic dining will change the way they feel in the body and the mind.

One can easily say that eating healthy is good for you.
But to actually feel the difference is a whole other story completely.

The experience is what convinces.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#7719473 - 12/05/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

For the longest time I didn't give a damn about my health. Then, at some point in college, I saw all the weight that I was gaining, and realized I couldn't keep on living the way I was. I started eating healthier and working out regularly. I was amazed at how good I felt. Unfortunately, you can't force people to get in that state of mind. They have to figure it out for themselves.

That said, there are certain steps that fast food can take without radically altering their menu. One of the biggest of these steps would be to eliminate trans fats, as KFC recently did.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7719480 - 12/05/07 12:25 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You cannot punish Mcdonalds for parents making bad choices. Last time I checked, they had a Grilled Chicken Sandwich on the menu. Salads too, even w/out disgustingly fattening cream-based dressings. I bet they sell more double cheeseburgers though.

I think that by spending millions on advertising unhealthy food, McDonalds is acting malevolently, particularly towards lower income people who have less food options and less time to prepare food at home. I also fault companies like Pepsi and Coke for signing contracts with public schools and public recreational facilities to hook schoolchildren on their drugs. If kids weren't being deliberately hooked on sugar, caffeine, and fatty foods, they would be less likely to turn to Big Macs and Big Gulps once the money's in their hands.

Quote:

Supply and Demand.

We Demand, They Supply.

Often heavy advertising campaigns create demand that would not exist otherwise. The most often cited example is diamonds, but junk food, pharmaceuticals, and trendy clothes are other examples. In cases like McDonalds, where so much money is poured into advertising addictive food, I think this is pretty malevolent.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7719486 - 12/05/07 12:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

There is only so much they can do.

The fats may be a bit more healthy, but KFC is still selling deep-fried chicken. If you were unhappy about the food choices they offered before, its likely that you still are.

The same with Mcdonalds. Their core business is junk food. Thats not going to change, as long as people want to eat it.

And they do.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

#7719519 - 12/05/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Unfortunately, you can't force people to get in that state of mind. They have to figure it out for themselves.

I agree with you.

We need to be the change we wish to see in the world.

Example is very effective education.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates