Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: skydog]
    #7717883 - 12/04/07 10:56 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Ya, there is a serious issue with people's diets. But its not all bad. People always talk high and mighty about hating fast food, hating hydrogenated oils (this is the real killer), and high fructose corn syrup.

Then they follow it up with a big cop out of "But what can you do" or "healthy food is expensive". Sure its expensive to move to a 100% crazy healthy diet. But its only a few extra dollars to your food budget to stay away 80% of shit. Taking a few seconds to read a food label and comparing it to a competitor is often the most work involved. Even a shitty big grocery store like walmart has good food if you stay away from the big display that attracts retards.

Growing your own food and raising some chickens is a super way of getting some healthy food, but its by no means feasible for 99% of people. The best way is to SUPPORT companies that still make good food. Don't worry about the 'organic" label, just like all other federally allowed labels it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Look at the ingredient list. If you see the word "high fructose", "hydrogenated", or "bleached". Just put the thing back on the shelf. And look for another product. The problem in america is really a weak will. Consumers just grab the cheap product. Or they quickly rationalize eating known crappy food because its "cheap".

Well, your medical bills will catch up with you and you will never have saved that much on food. You'll live a longer healthier life. And that will be more healthy years, not more years clinging to life like a shipwreck survivor.

As a side bonus, your food will taste better.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: skydog]
    #7717892 - 12/04/07 11:00 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Edit: Whoops. How did i post that twice?

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Edited by Nephlyte (12/04/07 11:01 PM)

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Shroomism]
    #7717907 - 12/04/07 11:05 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

can't forget the shit we drink.
roughly 90% of fluoride added to municipal water supplies is "scrubbed" from the smokestacks of the florida phosphate industry.
i don't know if you all got the memo, turns out toxic waste is good for you :wink:

great points shroomism.
i've been experimenting with my diet for 3 and a half years and have only begun to get a handle on the relationship between the effects of what i have ingested, and my overall mental state.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
And then we wonder why we are the fattest nation on Earth.. and have these huge epidemics of degenerative disease and illnesses. (90% of which stem from terrible, terrible, diets.)

jerry brunetti has survived cancer for 8 years by changing his diet..
this is his 3 hour presentation: Food As Medicine

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #7717915 - 12/04/07 11:08 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

You know, I used to scoff at the whole "organic" craze, but then I started buying organic fruit at this Whole Foods place(which doesn't seem nearly as expensive as everyone makes it out to be), and it makes me feel so much better. "An apple a day" is more than just an expression. Most fast food grosses me out now, especially McDonald's. I'll eat at Subway like once a week, and on rare occasions I'll have Arby's, but that's about it. I try to limit the amount of meat I eat, and have lately started eating protein bars.

I used to work with this fat chick who would bring McDonald's to work every day! Then she would constantly have snacks around her desk like Doritos and candy. Seeing her fat ass eat all that shit was enough to turn me off to junk food for quite a while.

--------------------

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7717988 - 12/04/07 11:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It is a shame to see that this trend is already so deeply rooted within the culture. It's gotten to the point where the very systems driving the organization of food are indistinguishable from the profit driven systems of bureaucratic corporation.

Nowadays food is no longer marketed as a life sustaining nourishment, which is its real purpose, but as something that is supposed to make your taste buds go off. I've met people telling me they drink soda because water tastes like nothing. What the fuck?

We are being fed a totally wrong idea of what it means to eat. In some ridiculous way we have lost the connection, as a society.

I agree that it isn't easy to financially manage the ideal healthy diet. Shit's expensive and prices are probably only going to increase as time goes by.

My solution. We need to simplify, narrow down our needs, find the most complete, efficient, and effective foods and include these into our daily lives.

I post a lot about the super green foods such as chlorella and spirulina for a reason. And the reason is that they are incredibly nutrient-dense. They literally pack more energy than your common vegetable plate.

This goes for hemp seeds as well. :wink:

It is these kinds of foods that can facilitate an approach towards benefiting a healthy way of life, independently from what is being programmed into our minds by the junk food and pharmaceutical industries. It is this kind of action that can liberate us from the clutches of a sick culture: Taking charge of our own lives.

I say let people be responsible for their own choices.
They can eat McFrownald's all they want, what do I care?

I care about my happiness. That's what matters. To see the changes I wish to see in the world, I first need to make them in my own life.

Let your change be your message.

That's my message.

Peace and Love.

--------------------

Edited by AlteredAgain (12/04/07 11:41 PM)

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Cowgold]
    #7717990 - 12/04/07 11:33 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

I usually eat pretty decently and McDonalds just seems fucking disgusting. I used to eat it, but I dunno, I think they've gotten worse as time has gone on...

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: circularvortex]
    #7718036 - 12/04/07 11:51 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

circularvortex said:
I usually eat pretty decently and McDonalds just seems fucking disgusting.  I used to eat it, but I dunno, I think they've gotten worse  as time has gone on...

Nah, your taste has just improved.  :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7718111 - 12/05/07 12:19 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Why is healthy food more expensive than crap food?

It sucks man. I can go get 2,000 calories of garbage at McDonald's for $2.00 but to get 2,000 calories of healthy food it's like $10.00 at least. That's why my grocery bill is over $100 every week. But, I look at it like an investment. When I'm older my body won't be falling apart like it will be for most people.

"If man made it then don't eat it" - Jack Lalane

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7718151 - 12/05/07 12:33 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
But it only costs more to produce because the system is set up that way. In reality it costs more to produce the non-organic shit..

That's not true. It is cheaper to spray pesticides so that half of your crop doesn't get eaten away by insects. It is cheaper to load food with preservatives so that it can stay on the shelf longer. Organic healthy stuff is expensive because a lot more effort goes into it and it has a shorter shelf life.

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Then you have the added buttfuck of the FDA not regulating jack shit, so virtually anyone can call their shit organic or natural since it's some loosely-defined term.

Again, that's not true. The FDA has pretty strict guidelines on things being called "organic". For example, your farm has to follow organic guidelines for three years until you can call yourself organic. But, admittedly the guidelines are goofy at times and they vary from product to product.

Offlineskydog
Coffee & Blunts
Male User Gallery

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7718515 - 12/05/07 05:23 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Why is healthy food more expensive than crap food?
But, I look at it like an investment.  When I'm older my body won't be falling apart like it will be for most people.

:yesnod:

So far, since I've been living on my own for awhile now, I've noticed that there's really nothing better to spend your money on than good food, and maybe dank nugz (:smilingpuppy:)

--------------------
:yesnod::thumbup:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #7718544 - 12/05/07 06:00 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Which brings me to my next point.. why is "natural" food generally more expensive than the adulterated shit..shouldn't it be the other way around??

around here, we get 97+ (often upwards of 100) bushels of corn/acre using synthetic fertilizers. With only organic manure and (inorganic) minerals (ex. limestone), we get about 53 bu/ac.

Organic production could not sustain our population unless virtually everyone was growing food for themselves. Now, from here, this goes into population problems, energy problems, and the drive for money.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Up North
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: demiu5]
    #7718692 - 12/05/07 07:41 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

97, LOL

We stay over 200 around here.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Clean]
    #7718741 - 12/05/07 08:12 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Clean said:
jerry brunetti has survived cancer for 8 years by changing his diet..
this is his 3 hour presentation: Food As Medicine

Super awesome video :thumbup: I've watched it several times.
recommend everyone check that video out

Yeah the shit we drink too that's a whole other can of worms. The human body can't live without water yet we put neurotoxins??? into the drinking water. How does that one work. But it goes beyond that, I've known people who don't even "like" water. Like they say "it doesn't taste good". It's not fucking supposed to taste good, it's fucking WATER - THE BASIS OF LIFE. But then they'll go and drink a 5th of rum like that tastes good? Then maybe drink some Coke - The official drink of Satan.. and then wonder why they are dehydrated and hungover the next day and bitch about it. I mean come on.

But yeah Altered I agree. It's not my job to go around telling people what they should or shouldn't eat or drink, they can eat what they want and everyone has free will. But on some level I guess I feel some kind of responsibility to at least talk about it.. it seems like a pretty serious issue to me. People should at least be making informed decisions about what they are putting into their body.. whether it is food or drug. The way I see it there is not much difference between the two.

But we definitely need to redefine what "food" means. Just because something goes into your stomach and doesn't instantly kill you, does not a food make. Food should provide sustenance for the body and life-giving nutrients. Food shouldn't kill you. Which is why yes, I'm glad you are promoting the super green foods. If you need the most amount of benefit from the least amount of food, then definitely spirulina, hemp or whatever else are a very good choice.

I s'pose I'll just mind my business and eat what makes me feel alive and not worry about what others eat. But you know the two girls 1 cup thing.. I cant help but think some people eat like that.

--------------------

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7718747 - 12/05/07 08:17 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yesterday at the mentorship program my campus org. runs for middle school kids, we talked in detail about the negative effects of drinking Coke and eating/drinking anything with corn syrup in it. As soon as the program ended, one of the kids ran out and bought a Coke at the vending machine. One of the mentors yelled at him, and I understood why, but I think we need to allow people to make their own mistakes. I just worry about these kids... at the community rec center I used to play basketball at, in a low-income neighborhood, the only vending machines they had were for soda, high-sugar artificial fruit juice, and snickers/twix/skittles/doritos/all of that shit. It's fucked up, people are literally addicted by the time they're 6 or 7.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Lion]
    #7718766 - 12/05/07 08:27 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah it's pretty bad.. the shit is in your face wherever you go (thanks, billions of dollars in advertising and social conditioning over 50+ years). "kids like candy, give kids candy". It's too bad sugar is more addictive than crack and nicotine combined. I admit I'm a sugar FIEND, straight up. I like my icecream and I love my chocolate and I will even drink the ocassional 35grams of sugar - battery acid coke. That's a habit I'm trying to break but it's hard man, sugar is worse than crack, and worse... it's fucking everywhere.

--------------------

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #7718821 - 12/05/07 08:48 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

They should put crack in a Snickers bar. That would rock.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#7718858 - 12/05/07 09:01 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Yeah it's pretty bad.. the shit is in your face wherever you go (thanks, billions of dollars in advertising and social conditioning over 50+ years). "kids like candy, give kids candy". It's too bad sugar is more addictive than crack and nicotine combined. I admit I'm a sugar FIEND, straight up. I like my icecream and I love my chocolate and I will even drink the ocassional 35grams of sugar - battery acid coke. That's a habit I'm trying to break but it's hard man, sugar is worse than crack, and worse... it's fucking everywhere.

Chocolate is one of my weaknesses, esp. dark. Luckily I just kind of stopped enjoying soda and never picked it up again. Now all I drink is water, with the occassional green tea, beer, wine, fruit juice, and soy milk.

"everywhere i go, all i see is my own desires"

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: circularvortex]
    #7718886 - 12/05/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Things like this scare the shit out of me. It's just disgusting to see people blindly eating like livestock and not thinking at all about what's going on. Then they balloon up and have to take 16 pills to be about 4% better.

My mom is a pretty good example. She looks like shit (sorry, but she does. Both in complexion and body shape), feels like shit, thinks like shit, and generally has a pretty crappy life thanks to what she eats. But she'll only listen to me for like one day and try to eat better. Then she'll quit a couple hours later and say she just doesn't feel like thinking about it while turning on Oprah.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Eating well is pretty easy. Just shop around the border of the store which is pretty much where all the vegetables, meats, nuts, and dairies are. Grains are mainly unnecessary filler, but in moderation they shouldn't be a problem (sadly our schools tell us to get as much of these as possible). Then when you need condiments or oils dive in to the shit storm of junk that's killing everyone and look for the least adultered things.

Then again, there's the issue about what they put in the meats and vegetables. Though most grocery stores are actually starting to stock free range meats and things like that. Buying mass amounts of these might actually help in the war against hormone stricken meat.

Most people would drop so many diseases if they just never hit those damn aisles in the center. Why do people want so much sugar and trash anyway?

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: The Shit We Eat [Re: Lion]
    #7718888 - 12/05/07 09:14 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The two most subsidized crops are Corn and Soybeans. So, most farmers will grow these because they get the most money from the government. What can we make from corn and soybeans? high fructose corn syrup for one.

its all poor government.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#7718897 - 12/05/07 09:19 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

The thing is most of this can be solved. There are a lot of less sugar filled ice creams out there, dark chocolate is actually good and even sugarless if you find a good brand, and diet sodas easily replace normal sodas.

People seem to forget that a lot of our normal junk foods are bastardized versions of what used to be nice things made at home. Okay pastries suck, but what about pizza? You definitely could make a tastier pizza than Papa John's at home even with annoyingly healthy ingredients. You don't even need much cooking experience to make better burritos than chipotle at home. Even some damn good fries can be made at home.

Sure it's not as convenient, but it'll taste better. And it won't be full of shit, and pumped full of calories.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order