Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBanjoMojo
Munster
 User Gallery

Loc: Alabama-ish
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Nibin]
    #7775148 - 12/18/07 07:31 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
:firefox: If God is inside us like some people say, He'd better like burritos 'cause that's what he's getting. :firefox:

I ♥ :skittles:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7775245 - 12/18/07 07:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Found here

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/soilfert/sf1321w.htm

Soil pH Effects

The role of gypsum in adjusting soil pH may be confusing. In corn and soybean growing areas, soil pH in the range of 6 to 7 is preferred for optimal growth and yield. Soil pH encountered in most areas of the north-central region of the U.S. range from 5 to 8. Within the pH range of 4.5 to 8.4, the addition of gypsum will have no effect on soil pH. The reaction will be as follows:

CaSO4 Þ SO42- + Ca2+

Dissolving gypsum in water does not result in net change in soil water charge.

At pH levels below 4.5, aluminum becomes soluble and dominates as the controller of lower soil pH. Under these conditions, which are seen often in the tropics and in some areas of the southeastern U.S., addition of gypsum can replace aluminum on clay and organic matter surfaces, allowing aluminum to leach away and raising pH to the lowest level at which hydrogen ions again dominate soil pH regulation (Oates and Caldwell, 1985; Sumner et al., 1986).

Soils with free lime are limited in pH to an upper threshold of about 8.4. When soil pH is 8.5 or higher, a significant amount of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) likely is present. Addition of gypsum under these conditions results in precipitation of sodium as less soluble sodium sulfate (Na2SO4), resulting in a corresponding decrease in soil pH.

Na2CO3 + CaSO4 Þ CaCO3 + Na2SO4$

Although both reducing and increasing soil pH with gypsum is possible, each effect is appropriate for soil conditions that are seen only rarely in the north-central region. Use of gypsum to increase soil pH from 5 to 6 will not be effective, nor will its use to try to lower pH from 8 to 7. For these reasons, gypsum is not considered to be a liming material or an additive to reduce pH in this region.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Edited by Nibin (12/18/07 07:49 PM)

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
    #7775335 - 12/18/07 08:14 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

just go to lowes or home depot, buy a small square of sheetrock or ask for leftovers (they'll give it to you), and crush it up (after you remove most of the paper). there you go.....easy gypsum. just make sure the sheetrock isn't green. that's the anti fungal kind. wouldn't be good for your grows. just regular white sheetrock will do fine.

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7775489 - 12/18/07 08:46 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Found here

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/soilfert/sf1321w.htm

Soil pH Effects

The role of gypsum in adjusting soil pH may be confusing. In corn and soybean growing areas, soil pH in the range of 6 to 7 is preferred for optimal growth and yield. Soil pH encountered in most areas of the north-central region of the U.S. range from 5 to 8. Within the pH range of 4.5 to 8.4, the addition of gypsum will have no effect on soil pH. The reaction will be as follows:

CaSO4 Þ SO42- + Ca2+

Dissolving gypsum in water does not result in net change in soil water charge.

At pH levels below 4.5, aluminum becomes soluble and dominates as the controller of lower soil pH. Under these conditions, which are seen often in the tropics and in some areas of the southeastern U.S., addition of gypsum can replace aluminum on clay and organic matter surfaces, allowing aluminum to leach away and raising pH to the lowest level at which hydrogen ions again dominate soil pH regulation (Oates and Caldwell, 1985; Sumner et al., 1986).

Soils with free lime are limited in pH to an upper threshold of about 8.4. When soil pH is 8.5 or higher, a significant amount of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) likely is present. Addition of gypsum under these conditions results in precipitation of sodium as less soluble sodium sulfate (Na2SO4), resulting in a corresponding decrease in soil pH.

Na2CO3 + CaSO4 Þ CaCO3 + Na2SO4$

Although both reducing and increasing soil pH with gypsum is possible, each effect is appropriate for soil conditions that are seen only rarely in the north-central region. Use of gypsum to increase soil pH from 5 to 6 will not be effective, nor will its use to try to lower pH from 8 to 7. For these reasons, gypsum is not considered to be a liming material or an additive to reduce pH in this region.

That seems like a more logical explination to the reasons that ph can change when gypsum is introduced to soil.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Fraggin]
    #7776610 - 12/19/07 07:09 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, it couldn't be by simple addition as it is a neutral salt. I was going with the second reaction (the sodium sulphate one) but I would never have guessed the aluminium one. I wonder if this has anything to do with the holes in aluminium trays...

--------------------

OfflineFreeTim99672012
Stranger
    #7835704 - 01/05/08 01:50 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

wow, chemistry, I'm glad you guys are on top of it. :grin: I think I need something to clear my brain now.

InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7836306 - 01/05/08 04:19 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I think it's the sulfur in gypsum that lowers the pH. The calcium wouldn't lower pH.

As I understand it, gypsum is more of a nutritional supplement, than a soil conditioner, as it's presence promotes mycelial growth and is not added for pH adjustment.

Sulfur and Calcium are two things myc likes, but rye is poor in.

I could be wrong.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7838206 - 01/06/08 04:26 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Captain Cubensis said:
I think it's the sulfur in gypsum that lowers the pH. The calcium wouldn't lower pH.

As I understand it, gypsum is more of a nutritional supplement, than a soil conditioner, as it's presence promotes mycelial growth and is not added for pH adjustment.

I could be wrong.

Don't say what you think without any backing information. I can say I think the earth is flat, but even if I think it, it will be a load of bullshit. I

Three posts above you have a very in depth explanation of how the buffer part of gypsum works, and it explains how the sulfur in gypsum will react with sodium carbonate in soil, leading to a decrease in pH. Saying you think it is so adds no extra authority to the already established fact.

We know fine well gypsum is a nutritional supplement, it has been said over and over again.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7838246 - 01/06/08 05:32 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Captain Cubensis said:

I could be wrong.

Actually, that's right on. Gypsum isn't used to adjust the pH. A side benefit of gypsum is it tends to hold the pH stable, preventing a swing to acidic conditions caused by metabolism of the fungi.

Sulfur and calcium are both essential for good fruitbody formation, so gypsum helps to ensure that our substrates have plenty. In addition, it's a soil conditioner that helps prevent clumping. In some species, such as Shiitake, gypsum has shown a 20% increase in yields over the same subsrate without gypsum.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7838256 - 01/06/08 05:41 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Captain Cubensis said:

I could be wrong.

Actually, that's right on. Gypsum isn't used to adjust the pH. A side benefit of gypsum is it tends to hold the pH stable, preventing a swing to acidic conditions caused by metabolism of the fungi.

Sulfur and calcium are both essential for good fruitbody formation, so gypsum helps to ensure that our substrates have plenty. In addition, it's a soil conditioner that helps prevent clumping. In some species, such as Shiitake, gypsum has shown a 20% increase in yields over the same subsrate without gypsum.
RR

Which is something you repeat about three times a week, RR.

Lol, it is something that everyone should memorize. The ABC of Gypsum

Additional Nutrients
Buffer
Clumping.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #7966268 - 02/01/08 07:27 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

this is too bad I had to get my local ag store to order some in so now My projects will be vulnerable to swings in PH. Would it help if I got some crushed oister shells instead of lime so that the PH would not become too acidic over time? If I understand this is how it works.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #7967267 - 02/02/08 12:01 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Powdered oyster shell or oyster shell flour would help, as calcium carbonate is also a pH buffer and corrector, but in crushed oyster shell the pieces are too big to have much effect on the pH.

Great for texture though.

--------------------

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #7967561 - 02/02/08 02:33 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

well thanks for saving me a couple bucks. I hope I don't rue the day if my first casings get minimal flushes while I'm waiting for gypsum.

Edited by ScavengerType (02/02/08 02:36 AM)

Offlinekimber
Stranger
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11861904 - 01/19/10 07:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i was wondering i just ordered some gypsum and when it came its not a powder its like little pellets is this ok to use

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: Online Gypsum Supplier? [Re: kimber]
    #11861962 - 01/19/10 07:43 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

No problem, just dissolve it in your soak water for grain or boil into the water you use for making your sub.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate