Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepat126
Stranger
Loc: australia
uv light through glass
    #766269 - 07/22/02 12:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hi everybody, does anybody know if a germicidal uv light would be effective in sterilizing a glovebox from the outside? it would be shining through about 3mm of glass.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: uv light through glass [Re: pat126]
    #766325 - 07/22/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i don't think UV goes through alot of glass. I use a chem at work that glows brightly under UV light. We tried to see if UV would go through those cheap UV protective glasses and it did not, that is the chem did not glow when the light was going through the glasses. We also tried regular glasses that did not say UV protective and it didn't glow then either. This is not the most scientific of experiments, but I do not think it will work. Maybe you could fasten the light to the top of the glove box on the inside and turn it on 30mins before you work in it. If it has a chord yo uwould have to make sure the chord's exit hole was sealed with aquarium sealant or something. I think that would work better, unless of cours your bulb is too big.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: uv light through glass [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #766334 - 07/22/02 02:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You shouldn't except this dudes advice without first reading my advice...

I beleive that regular, paned glass lets in almost all light... When you go outside your house, and you look in through a window, you will see a black light if it is turned on... Your freind did an experiment with eye-glasses, are you going to be using eyeglasses on your glovebox??? If so, go ahead and follow his advice...
Else, go ahead and do it yourway, it will work. If you doubt yourself, run and experiment using an exposed substrate, seeing how long it would take for a contam to form with daily doses of UV light... your not going to get growth of a contam (if the light is strong enough)
Hope that helped.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: uv light through glass [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #766897 - 07/22/02 08:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

the fact that you can see a blacklight through your window doesn't mean anything because a blacklight contains all kinds of spectrums of light. You may not be seeing the UV. A true UV bulb will emit light on a more narrow band. Germicidal lights are not blacklights! I think if you really want to know you should contact the manufacturer of the glass you are using to build the glove box and ask what wavelenghts pass through the glass. If it lets in 260nm you're good to go. I think this guy is right in that you should do the experiment. I'd like to hear the results. What wavelength is your light? If you can fit the light on the inside I still say that's the best bet.

Edited by cheesenoonions (07/22/02 08:12 AM)

OfflineSproogz
Loc: Canada
    #766988 - 07/22/02 08:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

UV light can't penetrate any form of lense , plastic or glass. That is why when welding you can't get a " flash " wearing saftey glasses.

Offlinepat126
Stranger
Loc: australia
Re: uv light through glass [Re: Sproogz]
    #769345 - 07/23/02 12:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the help guys . unfortunately i cant ask the glass manufacturer about its rating because its a 2nd hand fish tank. and i dont thinnk the light will fit inside of it, so i guess my only option before starting all over again is to experiment

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: uv light through glass [Re: pat126]
    #770668 - 07/23/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So if UV lights don't go through glass, then it wouldn't work to put a UV light inside an incubator because the substrate where the contams reside is behind glass, correct???

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: uv light through glass [Re: Visigoth]
    #770750 - 07/23/02 01:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

ya

--Aeolus

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: uv light through glass [Re: Sproogz]
    #770769 - 07/23/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

UV light can't penetrate any form of lense , plastic or glass

Wrong... If this was the case your carpets, furniture and drapes would not fade from exposure to sunlight. This is why there is low-e glass.
http://pilkington.lmgonline.net/pilkington_us/Residential/index.htm

In reply to:

That is why when welding you can't get a " flash " wearing saftey glasses.

Wrong again. There is special glass in welding goggles to prevent burnng the retina. Same principle as looking at the sun both with and without sunglasses.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: uv light through glass [Re: Visigoth]
    #770872 - 07/23/02 02:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

he's talking about a glove box, not an incubator. No if it doesn't go through glass it would be pointless to put it inside an incubator if you were trying to sterilize the substrate. That's not what he is asking though. He wants to know if it would work to sterilize a glovebox. you wouldn't want a UV light inside an incubator, anyway because germicidal UV lights damage DNA and kill organisms by doing so. Even if you didn't kill it you run the HIGH risk of growing a mutant. Not good. It s a good idea for a glovebox though, because you would sterilize every surface inside the glovebox as well as the air inside the glovebox. It's how alot of microbiology labs create a sterile environment to work with agar and the like. You turn the light on, you wait awhile and come back. The only difference being thta they use flow hoods.
And for the thing about substrate, that was shroomhermits idea and it was only to test if the UV light would work through glass, not if the UV light would work in an incubator with substrate in jars.

Offlineandrew_ysk
Stranger
 User Gallery

#24138694 - 03/05/17 01:04 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cheesenoonions said:
he's talking about a glove box, not an incubator.  No if it doesn't go through glass it would be pointless to put it inside an incubator if you were trying to sterilize the substrate.  That's not what he is asking though.  He wants to know if it would work to sterilize a glovebox.  you wouldn't want a UV light inside an incubator, anyway because germicidal UV lights damage DNA and kill organisms by doing so.  Even if you didn't kill it you run the HIGH risk of growing a mutant.  Not good.  It s a good idea for a glovebox though, because you would sterilize every surface inside the glovebox as well as the air inside the glovebox.  It's how alot of microbiology labs create a sterile environment to work with agar and the like.  You turn the light on, you wait awhile and come back.  The only difference being thta they use flow hoods. 
And for the thing about substrate, that was shroomhermits idea and it was only to test if the UV light would work through glass, not if the UV light would work in an incubator with substrate in jars. 

so you think uv light fixed in the glove box able to sterilize all the surface in the glove box .. cool. i was thinking exactly the same thing.. so don't have to concern about missing spots where i missed wiping with alcohol.
but it may degrade my glove box sooner. anyway, won't be spoil in a year right ?
i just turn on uv light in the glove box for 30 mins then turn off.. then start working on it.

good way. must try.

Offlinemrmazdarx9
Pffffttt

Loc: behind you Flag
Re: uv light through glass [Re: andrew_ysk]
    #24138756 - 03/05/17 01:33 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

By now I think your a troll 3 threads all old as fuck all about UV and none youve looked back to the replies to. Theres no reason to bump this shit and theres a big thing that says this thread is very old. Also your info is old as well glove boxes are shit.

--------------------
COCA GROWERS come here and share your knowledge
COCA GROWERS UNITE
:penis:Click here for UK trades:penis:
:penis: need some supplies in the UK check Here or PM me:penis:
UK OTD uk members chat
UK supplies and trade OTD place to chat shit
Right Here
If you use "SWIM" you should DROWN

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: uv light through glass [Re: mrmazdarx9]
    #24138860 - 03/05/17 02:16 PM (7 years, 1 month ago)

If you're looking up 14 year old threads you probably didn't grow up with the internet. We shouldn't be mean to ancient folks that don't know how to research as well as a third grader.

Just make sure you look up threads newer than 2-3 years old and read the whole thread too

:cheers:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate