Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain
    #7697658 - 11/30/07 05:28 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

link

In 2006, the Food and Drug Administration issued a report stating that there are "no sound scientific studies supporting the medical use of marijuana ... and no data to support the safety of marijuana."

The American Medical Association has recommended that marijuana be retained as a Schedule I controlled substance which is a drug that has high potential for abuse, has no currently accepted medical use, and has a lack of acceptable safety. Even former Sen. Bill Frist has weighed in on the matter, stating "based on current evidence, I believe that marijuana is a dangerous drug and that there are less dangerous medicines offering the same relief from pain and other medical symptoms."

What the FDA, AMA and many physicians including Frist are saying is that marijuana is not better than current FDA-approved drugs, and is not safe. Is this really true? Yes. Studies indicate that we have better drugs for nausea, appetite and pain.

Even in the worst of chemotherapy regimens, oncologists can control up to 90 percent of vomiting with anti-nausea drugs without any need of "rescue medicines." With the institution of FDA-approved rescue medicines, oncologists can get nearly 100 percent control of nausea and vomiting. Furthermore, hormone-related treatments have been shown to be better than marijuana for appetite stimulation, and marijuana has the pain-relief ability equal to codeine; i.e., we have much better pain medicines than marijuana.

Many of our patients have real physical, emotional, social and spiritual problems. We have a process to help them address their needs, a regimen of medicines and a team of social workers, support groups and pastoral counselors. We want our patients to be healthy, autonomous people who interact socially, engage with life, and remain active. Illegal drugs tend to do the opposite: They make patients withdrawn, isolated, less active and engaged. Ultimately, they do more harm than good.

Marijuana also puts society at risk for a tragic car accident on the way to the office. Politicians do not understand the medical research or the clinical risks of marijuana. So why do they continue to push for its legalization? Perhaps some are well-intentioned and misguided, but perhaps others wish to use this issue as a stepping stone to promote a broader drug culture.

In the end, any effort to legalize marijuana for medical purposes is an arrogant effort to circumvent the process that keeps citizens like you and me safe. This process is overseen by the FDA, and the FDA has stated unambiguously that marijuana is not effective and is not safe.

To borrow a line from the Supreme Court, "medicine by regulation is better than medicine by referendum." While our regulatory bodies have their flaws, they are certainly preferred to a process of drugs by vote. Our legislators should not approve a drug that our system of clinicians and scientists have deemed ineffective and unsafe.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #7697792 - 11/30/07 07:23 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

." While our regulatory bodies have their flaws, they are certainly preferred to a process of drugs by vote.

---

why?

Why do we need regulatory bodies to tell us what we can be permitted to ingest, or our doctor be permitted to recomend?

FDA should be advisory.

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: johnm214]
    #7697821 - 11/30/07 07:40 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

this article literally makes me sick...

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

OfflineAvailable
Stranger

Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #7697839 - 11/30/07 07:51 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

The only problem is...Those drugs that they have that offer the same pain relief cost a ton of money. MJ is just a cheaper alternative.

He should just say, "we don't want to legalize it because it takes money from the pharmaceutical companies"

Also, it seems like these doctors don't really know what they are talking when it comes to fully understanding the human mind. Which is bad, when they wright scripts to drugs fairly easy.

If i had aids or cancer and i was going to die. Let me get high(my life's about to end) and let that relieve the pain at the same time.

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Available]
    #7697854 - 11/30/07 07:58 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It's ok to go through physical opiate withdraw to relive pain, but it's not ok to smoke one and not be an addict.

Go big pharma! Rake that $$ in.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Available]
    #7697870 - 11/30/07 08:07 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Available said:

If i had aids or cancer and i was going to die. Let me get high(my life's about to end) and let that relieve the pain at the same time.

Are you suggesting the situation from a policy perspective is somehow different that a guy sitting on his couch who wants to get high?

InvisibleThirdEyeOpening
Lost In My Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: How the fuck should i kno... Flag
    #7698005 - 11/30/07 08:57 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

This is practically hand written by big pharma.

But the fact that they can prescibe five or six patented drugs over one that isnt, is more likely the root issue behind the FDA's actions.

Get em addicted to opiates, then you can charge them for the drug, then the rehab drugs, and the new pain killers...

Oh and...being stoned and driving, while i agree isnt particularly safe, but im more worried about people who are pissed off, tired, talking on cell phones, or eating. Im not too worried about the stoner driving under the speed limit....

--------------------

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. Im not too sure about the former.      -Einstein

Of course the rules need to be enforced, but the goal of law and order should be to create a just society, not to enforce laws. -Unknown

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”  -Stephen Roberts

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: ThirdEyeOpening]
    #7698012 - 11/30/07 08:59 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Many of the patents on the opioids traditionally prescribed for pain have long since expired. Big pharma isn't losing very much money on this.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: badchad]
    #7698047 - 11/30/07 09:10 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Terrible article. PharmAmerica at it again.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: badchad]
    #7698055 - 11/30/07 09:13 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Many of the patents on the opioids traditionally prescribed for pain have long since expired. Big pharma isn't losing very much money on this.

seriously, people tend to see conspiracies where none exist, though the FDA/Pharma is certainly closely aligned in some cases

The problem w/ medical marijuana is more a societal one. Docs and Scientists are wary of a natural preperation.

Name one other somewhat-commonly used prescription or medically-recomended natural preperation besides marijuana?

Add to that the stigma of pot, and there is the problem.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain *DELETED* [Re: johnm214]
    #7698185 - 11/30/07 09:54 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Chemy

Reason for deletion: If you are sure you want to do this, click the button below. Yes, I want to delete this post.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Chemy]
    #7698226 - 11/30/07 10:05 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Chemy said:
Quote:

In the end, any effort to legalize marijuana for medical purposes is an arrogant effort to circumvent the process that keeps citizens like you and me safe. This process is overseen by the FDA, and the FDA has stated unambiguously that marijuana is not effective and is not safe.

Wow, is this report saying marijuana is unsafe, and dilaudid and fentanyl are safe because the FDA approved those for use by doctors.
I just woke up, maybe I'm not making sense.

Yep, pretty much.

But don't use marijuana, seriously.

You might later move on to dangerous drugs like dilaudid and fentanyl. Best to use a safe drug, like dilaudid and fentanyl.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #7698954 - 11/30/07 01:19 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It is ironic that all of drugs they WOULD use and consider to be safer than marijuana are highly addictive opiates like Hydrocodone. The wonderful hormone treatments they speak of also increase your liklihood of cancer dramatically.

I think the first statement is pretty ridiculous. I wish I could cite a source here but I believe there has been ample research showing that marijuana does have real medical uses and that it is not dangerous. It relieves pain in ways that opiates do not and can help people who have found no benefit from other medicines.

What I do know is that part of this is highly disengenuous, as the government will not ALLOW any FAD-approved research into medical marijuana using anything more than the weakest quality plants which they grow. Essentially the claim is that no research supports medical marijuana but they have effectively blocked almost all of it.

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

#7699153 - 11/30/07 01:53 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Brought to you by the biased DEA and the money grubbing pharmacy companies (yes they, even the generics companies make money off all these kinds of drugs that often cost pennies to make, of all kinds) You know the best drug for releiving pain is? Heroin. but no one will tell you because of the stigma behind it and it being erroneosly schedule 1. Should it matter if a man dying of bone cancer gets hooked on his pain medicine, no matter what it is? DEA has been undermining the needs of patients suffering from pain by targeting pain doctors, even before the Harrison Act (yeah i know it wasnt DEA then) and a lot of the addiction is overblown (but not untrue of course) there are more heroin addicts in new york city now then all of America before its prohibition.

91 percent of patients in several countries especially Latin America dont get enough pain medicine because of the standards of the intenational drug conrol policy. (whatever the name for that is again)

but back to Marijuana. Even if this article is true (and its all one big lie) Marijuana helps people, and many first hand reports say its better than anything else. It isnt for everyone. Thats why there is other drugs. however these are the bastards who say Marinol works better than real pot, despite evidence to the contrary. even if it doesnt work as well as other drugs, its a viable alternative.

people should also just be able to use it recreationally regardless. These same pharma bastards are the one who promote a drug that would help me more than an older cousin of the drug, but my insurance wont cover it so therefore I would have to pay 800 dollars a month.

are you fucking kidding me? they cost 2 dollars to MAKE at the most!dont even get me started on cancer drugs. and some people think they have the right to charge that because of research and development. thats THEIR responsibilty. they make enough as it is. no drug should cost 800 bucks a month to use EVER! its more than pot per month for me 3/4th!

the truth is you can grow it for pennies a dose. but thats not what they want. they want money, theres a book out there by someone I dont remember and title I dont remember that i wanted to read about how many thousands of ways we are being screwed by these parasite drug companies.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineYossarian22
Stranger
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7700378 - 11/30/07 06:52 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, that's stupid.

Edited by Yossarian22 (11/30/07 06:59 PM)

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #7700505 - 11/30/07 07:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Weed makes very sick people with chronic diseases feel better. The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Le_Canard]
    #7701838 - 12/01/07 05:20 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain

No there's not. You can take your opiates and shove em up your arse!*

*Except kratom, I like that stuff. And opium.

--------------------

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #7702090 - 12/01/07 08:49 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

My mom, of all people wants to try marijuana to ease the chemo treatment she is about to recieve because she was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She didnt like marijuana when she tried it, but I am glad shes trying it because it helps nausea like no other.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: There are legal drugs that better relieve nausea, pain [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7702124 - 12/01/07 09:08 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

My mother is an oncologist's nurse, i've practically grown up in an oncology office that does NOT use marijuana

the majority of this article is complete bullshit
it's impossible to control vomitting and nausea 100%
the drugs that they use to try and control vomitting can often times lead to patients laying on their back and choking to death
it's happened more than a few times in my memory

my mother has even said that she believes the only reason pot is still illegal for medical use is because the pharmacy's will lose money
most of my mother's patients have sold their houses and moved into an apartment to pay for JUST THE PRESCRIPTIONS

you say the pharamcies aren't losing much money by losing the sells of their drugs?
you are an idiot.

if you'll even take the time to check your fucking sources before you speak
you might find that all of the major pharma companies have been making political "donations" for many many years
the pharms even bought out hilary clinton

god, i pray for the day when america has socialized medicine :-(

--------------------

Edited by anarchOi (12/01/07 09:10 AM)

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
    #7702127 - 12/01/07 09:11 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:

Yep, pretty much.

But don't use marijuana, seriously.

You might later move on to dangerous drugs like dilaudid and fentanyl.  Best to use a safe drug, like dilaudid and fentanyl.

:lol:

exactly man!

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules