Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium.
    #7693083 - 11/29/07 12:47 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2218551,00.html

Slovak police say three accused of trying to sell nuclear material

Ian Traynor in Brussels
Thursday November 29, 2007
The Guardian

Alarms over international nuclear smuggling were raised last night when Slovak police announced that three men had been arrested in Slovakia and Hungary after allegedly trying to sell a kilogram of radioactive material.
A Slovak police spokesman told journalists that the authorities in Slovakia and Hungary had been monitoring the activities of the alleged nuclear traders for several months before arresting them. They were detained in eastern Slovakia and eastern Hungary, near the common borders with Ukraine.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Police declined to provide any details of the radioactive substance, but said they had seized the material and sent it for examination. The location of the operation suggested that the material had been smuggled from the former Soviet Union, either Russia or Ukraine.
Western officials have been concerned for years about the risk of nuclear smuggling from the former Soviet Union, although US-funded safeguarding programmes have been effective in reducing the danger of nuclear trading.

Officials at the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, said they knew little about the reported incident across Austria's border in Slovakia, but that the agency's nuclear security department would be looking into the matter urgently.

Police said they would supply more details about the case today. The main Slovak news agency reported that the material involved was enriched uranium but there were no indications of the degree of enrichment.

Low enriched uranium is used for nuclear power plant fuel, while weapons-grade uranium is highly enriched. In 2002 it emerged that Iran had been conducting an illicit nuclear programme for 18 years, greatly helped by the disgraced metallurgist Abdul Qadeer Khan's Pakistan-based smuggling racket.

Khan was found to have been privately channelling nuclear materials and equipment to Iran, North Korea, and Libya.

Slovak police said that the detained men had been attempting to sell the radioactive material for $1m (£480,000).

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #7693726 - 11/29/07 08:22 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium.

Nobody knows if the metal they were trying to sell was really uranium or if it was enriched.

> Police declined to provide any details of the radioactive substance, but said they had seized the material and sent it for examination.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: Seuss]
    #7694492 - 11/29/07 01:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If anybody comes across a reference that states what percentage the uranium was enriched, please post. I have verification that the material was uranium, but I don't have an enrichment percentage yet. Could be depleted uranium for all I know. I'm still waiting for more info, but the people that I can normal ask about this type of thing are being very tight lipped.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: Seuss]
    #7694925 - 11/29/07 03:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I dont know i cant find anything either

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,22846849-5007063,00.html

Quote:

Police did not say to what level the uranium was enriched, but said the material, found in two cases, contained two types of uranium known as 235 and 238 isotopes.

Enrichment raises the proportion of the 235-type uranium in the material, which can yield fuel for nuclear power stations or be used to make nuclear warheads.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #7694940 - 11/29/07 03:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

No confirmed source for the percentage that it was enriched to...

MSNBC reports that the "seized uranium is weapons-grade", however they then go on to say "it was enriched enough to be used in a radiological 'dirty bomb'".

That leads me to guess the material wasn't "weapons grade" as we normally think of it (ie. it can be used in a nuke) but rather was "enriched" in the sense that it was uranium. As we all know, a dirty bomb isn't a nuke, and I think this material was not enriched in the percentage of U-235.

Alas, it looks like more scare-mongering around the issue.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: trendal]
    #7695127 - 11/29/07 04:49 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

"According to initial findings, the material originated in the former Soviet republics," Kopcik said.

He said the uranium had been stashed in unspecified containers, and that investigators determined it contained 98.6 percent uranium-235. Uranium is considered weapons-grade if it contains at least 85 percent uranium-235.

---

See: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313693,00.html

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: johnm214]
    #7695151 - 11/29/07 04:56 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well that proves my theory wrong :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: trendal]
    #7695610 - 11/29/07 06:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

It may be scaremongering but dont forget this quote by Ayman Zawahiri deputy minister of Al Qaeda.

Quote:

'We sent our people to Moscow, to Tashkent, to other Central Asian states, and they negotiated, and we purchased some suitcase [nuclear] bombs.'"

Al Qaeda is working very hard to match a terrorist attack larger then 9/11, a series of dirty bomb explosions in major cities could create a incredibly large catastrophe, honestly to me its not a matter of if but "when" a nuclear device or dirty bomb explodes in a major metropolitan area in the west.

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #7696414 - 11/29/07 09:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#7696430 - 11/29/07 09:06 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Al Qaeda is working very hard to match a terrorist attack larger then 9/11, a series of dirty bomb explosions in major cities could create a incredibly large catastrophe, honestly to me its not a matter of if but "when" a nuclear device or dirty bomb explodes in a major metropolitan area in the west.

Too true :frown:

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#7697077 - 11/30/07 12:37 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If it happens that is how it will happen. Not some neocon-man self-serving propoganda about the Saddams of the world stupidly and deliberately passing radioactive materials to terrorists with his freakin' return address on it..but a cell receiving the materials from a corrupt and desperate element within a government.

Return to sender. Address unknown.??

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: zorbman]
    #7697153 - 11/30/07 01:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Our government has actually already admitted to knowledge of terrorist cells within the united states and even to the extent that they know of bin ladens dealing with nuclear technology. He already has admitted to having nukes, and there's evidence that shows he has them.

One of the things that could potentially delay him is that the bombs needs to be reactivated after several months. This requires technology and the brains to do it. But that really doesn't seem too hard at all in my opinion. There's no question that there would be people who would be glad to help attack america.

There is definitely the possibility that bin laden or some people posing as terrorists, are in with secret forces in america. Even if not directly involved, I believe that they must be connected somehow, even if via third party or some manner of intrigue.

Basically if they attack, (and who knows what will happen tomarrow) americans can't do anything about it. The government has failed to secure the borders, it has failed to defend citizens from it's enemies, and probably will fail to do so in the future.

This one reason why it's not so much a question of if to some people, but when. I must admit, I do not know what will happen tomarrow. But from the premise that this threat is real, things don't look good for america. And honestly I don't feel sorry for america at all. If it happens, I will absolutely see it as an act of judgement by God. Although I would feel sorry for many of those who may be lost in such an attack to an extent.

One of the possibilites I've been considering more and more is that that continuation of the american empire was never the goal. How can it be? Our country is doing so bad, that for people to be crafty enough to deceive millions and implement this war on terror, and then totally attack the economy, safety, relationship with the rest of the world. To me, it gives definite signs that seem to suggest that the point is to bring down america..to make way for the east.

Think about this. It is supposed by some that the "neocons" in power right now may be greedy, and evil but they are still fighting for america, as brazinski has suggested in his grand chessboard book (although seriously why would I trust what that guy has to say , he seems to support such a move to supposedly secure american interests, and that includes killing and lying, so yeah, don't trust him). And yet those in power in america are working to cripple this country at an alarming rate. bush doesn't do just what he thinks he should do, he is subject like all presidents have been, to the "papal" authority. I think people have really been duped into thinking bushes policy is even close to normal or reasonable, and I think that the "papal authorities" are well aware of it also. It seems to go against standard war protocol, diplomatic guidelines, economic guidelines, defense guidelines etc.

To an american nationalist, america is the force used to conquer others and accomplish their goals. for an american nationalist to destroy the economy and erode americans safety as part of a plan to battle a supposed threat to america's economy and safety, is absurd.

A well planned multiple nuclear attack on american soil could very likely bring the american empire to it's knees in a decisive victory. It would be a nightmare for this empire to end in a war struggle against nations. The easiest defeat is from within.The economy is so fractured right now that a major attack could very likely send this country into a recession, or simply neutered from being able to dominate other nations and conquest.

Let's suppose bush really truly wanted to fight against terrorism. Bush's fathers staff knew years ago that the current type of program would be devastating. What I picture when I read about the actions of the current adminstration is a calculated and purposeful attempt to break americas economy, marginalize americans further from the rest of the world, and incite hatred and "terrorist" attacks to further fuel the self destructive cycle.

Edited by jonathan_206 (11/30/07 01:58 AM)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: a_guy_named_ai]
    #7697635 - 11/30/07 06:53 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

> But that really doesn't seem too hard at all in my opinion

I can't speak for Russian designs, but for US designs, it would be next to impossible. In US designs, the components are a physical form of encryption that require a "password" in order to properly assemble at detonation. The only way to reverse engineer the password is through destructive testing of the components that implement the physical encryption. Because each nuke is keyed differently, having two nukes does not allow you destructively test the components of one to unlock the second. The physical encryption cannot be removed from the system. It is a very clever and effective failsafe with no workaround. The only way to get rid of it would be to build a new bomb from scratch, recasting the nuclear fuel.

--------------------

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
    #7699166 - 11/30/07 03:55 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I can't speak for Russian designs, but for US designs, it would be next to impossible. In US designs, the components are a physical form of encryption that require a "password" in order to properly assemble at detonation. The only way to reverse engineer the password is through destructive testing of the components that implement the physical encryption. Because each nuke is keyed differently, having two nukes does not allow you destructively test the components of one to unlock the second. The physical encryption cannot be removed from the system. It is a very clever and effective failsafe with no workaround. The only way to get rid of it would be to build a new bomb from scratch, recasting the nuclear fuel.

I'm not very smart about these kind of things. But I know that the suitcase bombs bin laden is claimed to have are left overs from the cold war. I'm not sure how much precautions they took or whether they made it as difficult as you say for u.s. warheads. But considering they are suitcase bombs, I would not think the security precautions would be so much, especially considering space concerns, they apparently have streamlined them very much, and they weigh a lot less than they used to.

For dirty bombs though, those security precautions could be easily over-rided perhaps, simply by removing the nuclear material into a new explosive apparatus. The detonative mechanism for dirty nukes is remarkably simple from what I've read. It uses explosives to put pressure on both sides of the nuclear material causing a nuclear reaction.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: a_guy_named_ai]
    #7699249 - 11/30/07 04:12 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

[Bin Laden] already has admitted to having nukes, and there's evidence that shows he has them.

I know that the suitcase bombs bin laden is claimed to have are left overs from the cold war.

Where are you getting this information?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: zorbman]
    #7699310 - 11/30/07 04:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

mmmm yellow cake uranium

always a big fan as long as it has chocolate frosting

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Slovaks guilty of trying to sell a kilogram of enriched uranium. [Re: BrAiN]
    #7699395 - 11/30/07 04:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Heh... there is actually a fusion device known as a layer cake.

--------------------

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
    #7699403 - 11/30/07 04:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

[Bin Laden] already has admitted to having nukes, and there's evidence that shows he has them.

I know that the suitcase bombs bin laden is claimed to have are left overs from the cold war.

Where are you getting this information?

Check out the book I linked above. There's also other resources available if you search. Don't expect major newspapers to tell you what you want to know.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #7699443 - 11/30/07 05:01 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

The detonative mechanism for dirty nukes is remarkably simple from what I've read. It uses explosives to put pressure on both sides of the nuclear material causing a nuclear reaction.

They didn't have enough material to make that sort of system work. At most, they could have spread the uranium making a mess that costs a lot to clean up. I'm not saying that somebody with the knowledge of a nuclear weapons program behind them, including the results of testing, couldn't make a very good dirty bomb from that amount, but this type of knowledge and the skill needed to produce it, is very rare. Because of the limited amount of material they had, they were really at the outer limit of what can be done.

--------------------

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
    #7706924 - 12/02/07 04:40 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

They didn't have enough material to make that sort of system work. At most, they could have spread the uranium making a mess that costs a lot to clean up. I'm not saying that somebody with the knowledge of a nuclear weapons program behind them, including the results of testing, couldn't make a very good dirty bomb from that amount, but this type of knowledge and the skill needed to produce it, is very rare. Because of the limited amount of material they had, they were really at the outer limit of what can be done.

It sounds like what you're saying is that they need more nuclear material to make a nuclear reaction for some special reaction in the dirty nukes, but that doesn't apply to all of them surely? Not all of them bombs he has are dirty nukes, not at all. He is claimed to have more than a few real nukes that once activated could produce a small hiroshima type explosion.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Political Discussion