Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Indoor Weed Cultivation on Rise [California]
    #7691544 - 11/28/07 07:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Source: San Mateo County Times reprinted by http://ca.mpp.org - (Direct Link)

Indoor Weed Cultivation on Rise
Feds say outdoor enforcement is driving operations inside

Jen Thomas
San Mateo County Times
November 23, 2007

The Peninsula has sprouted a number of indoor marijuana cultivators in recent years, but this year in particular, indoor pot grows are popping up — well, like weeds.

"Indoor grow operations are absolutely on the rise," said Cmdr. Mark Wyss of the county's Narcotics Task Force. "There's a huge profit in indoor growing for operators, and that's the driving trend."

The task force has busted 16 indoor grows so far this year — and the number could easily rise to twice the amount of indoor marijuana cultivations in 2006.

Last year, local law enforcement shut down 10 indoor grows. In 2005, only seven indoor growers were busted.

The trend of growing marijuana indoors reaches far beyond the county, according to a U.S. Department of Justice report released earlier this month.

California may be a leading state for outdoor marijuana cultivation, but many major cannabis producers are moving their operations indoors, according to the report.

The Department of Justice cites law enforcement's "vigorous" efforts to bust outdoor operations as a primary reason for growers' retreat indoors.

Once cannabis producers make the move indoors, they tend to benefit from higher profits, because cultivation is year-round, and controlled growing conditions help growers produce higher-quality marijuana, according to the report.

"The ones who know what they're doing are genetically engineering their plants to have a higher THC concentration," said Special Agent Gordon Taylor of the federal Drug Enforcement Agency. "There's so much money to be made in high-potency marijuana."

That's just one of the advantages to growing indoors versus outdoors, according to Wyss.

"If you're operating in a residential neighborhood and putting on the disguise that you're just living in a single-family dwelling," Wyss said, "a grow could go on for an extended period of time without being detected."

One troubling aspect of the indoor cultivation boom is the number of people who have converted entire homes into marijuana grow rooms, Wyss said. Prior to 2003, the nature of indoor cultivation in the county was very different.

"Five years ago, you wouldn't come across a whole house converted into a grow," Wyss said. "You would find a spare closet where someone had rigged fluorescent lights and grow marijuana in that environment."

Now, Wyss said, such old-school techniques are out of fashion. The marijuana busts in recent years have involved homes filled with marijuana and grown with high-powered lighting fueled by stolen electricity.

To conceal their operations, many producers go to elaborate lengths — including sealing windows or using electronically-timed lights to simulate the turning-on-and-off of lights characteristic of a normal residence.

Last week, the task force busted two indoor pot operations; both were in middle-class neighborhoods in Daly City.

The rush to indoor cultivation isn't just alarming law enforcement but also marijuana advocates.

Bruce Mirken of the Marijuana Policy Project, a national marijuana advocacy group, points to the spread of indoor cultivation in San Mateo County as a natural outgrowth of a local and federal law enforcement crackdown on cannabis.

"If you want criminal gangs moving in next door to grow marijuana, if you want to make those criminals unbelievably rich, and if you want to guarantee that marijuana becomes more potent, current policies are working perfectly," Mirken said.

"If you think that's crazy," he added, "then it's time for California to regulate marijuana production, just like we regulate wine."

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: geokills]
    #7691552 - 11/28/07 07:12 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Source: Orange County Register reprinted by http://ca.mpp.org - (Direct Link)

Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms
Federal campaign drives growers indoors

Orange County Register
November 20, 2007

No doubt without intending to, a U.S. Justice Department report on the ambitious federal marijuana plant eradication program (called Campaign Against Marijuana Planting or CAMP in California), documents that the campaign has not only failed to make much of a dent in the marijuana marketplace, it has had the perverse effect of driving producers to indoor sites, notably to suburban homes.

In other words, if one of your neighbors (probably in a rented house) has converted the place to an indoor marijuana plantation, guarded by somewhat unsavory-looking characters who look as if they might be packing heat and attracting a number of disreputable-looking hangers-on, you can thank the state and federal governments. Your tax dollars at work.

Here's how the National Drug Threat Assessment from the National Drug Intelligence Center of the Justice Department put it:

"Federal, state, and local law enforcement reporting indicates that vigorous outdoor cannabis eradication efforts have caused major marijuana producers, particularly Caucasian groups, to relocate indoors, even in leading outdoor grow states such as California and Tennessee." The report goes on to say that one side effect of shifting to indoor sites is that "The groups will produce higher-potency marijuana year-round, allowing for exponential increase in profits derived."

While aggressive eradication activities have had some impact, especially in driving production to the suburbs, the report makes clear that it hasn't done much to reduce overall production. While the feds are seizing record numbers of plants, production operations in California (mostly Northern) "are extensive, widespread, becoming more sophisticated, and increasing in size." Meanwhile, "marijuana availability is widespread."

So the drug warriors don't reduce availability, but they push growers into your neighborhood and increase their profitability. Is that what the drug war was intended to do?

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinemebesideme
o-bliminal
Male

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: geokills]
    #7691736 - 11/28/07 07:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

How do they find these places? I can't understand how people are doing things so obviously that they get caught like this.

--------------------
Doot de dooh.... yep yep yep. A signature and stuff...

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: mebesideme]
    #7691930 - 11/28/07 08:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

snitches and carelessness, what else?

--------------------

Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: mebesideme]
    #7692492 - 11/28/07 10:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mebesideme said:
How do they find these places? I can't understand how people are doing things so obviously that they get caught like this.

Quote:

geokills said:
The marijuana busts in recent years have involved homes filled with marijuana and grown with high-powered lighting fueled by stolen electricity.

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

OfflineShroomieGirl
What are these god damn animals
Female User Gallery

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: derx]
    #7693461 - 11/29/07 03:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yep.... heat sensors n shit too... and the stealing electricity doesnt help either

--------------------
:bouncysmoke:

I'm ok, really.

OfflineNasrudin
Stranger
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: ShroomieGirl]
    #7693602 - 11/29/07 05:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I live in a small town in northern California and I've heard of a few large indoor grows getting busted here this year. One of them I think was having work done on the house and the construction guys smelled it and turned 'em in.

SWIM met a guy recently and supposedly this guy tells everyone and his brother about the grow op he's involved in. I mean, SWIM says that this is very large and its only a matter of time until he gets caught.

Loose lips sink ships.

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: Nasrudin]
    #7693885 - 11/29/07 09:40 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

MOST grow ops are busted by snitches.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: LoWgRoW]
    #7693962 - 11/29/07 10:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"The ones who know what they're doing are genetically engineering their plants to have a higher THC concentration," said Special Agent Gordon Taylor of the federal Drug Enforcement Agency. "There's so much money to be made in high-potency marijuana."
----

Fail

Yeah, individuals are genetically engenering plants, you fucking moron.

Usually the feds are a little smarter than this, from what I've read (or they keep the idiots from speaking to the news).

I don't think marijuana has ever been genetically engeniered.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: johnm214]
    #7694000 - 11/29/07 10:38 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Yeah, individuals are genetically engenering plants, you fucking moron.

Usually the feds are a little smarter than this, from what I've read (or they keep the idiots from speaking to the news).

I don't think marijuana has ever been genetically engeniered.

Well, technically, crossbreeding for THC strength is a very old form of genetic engineering, although most don't know that, and it makes for better press. But yeah, I do agree that the Feds are total morons.

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: Le_Canard]
    #7694357 - 11/29/07 12:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

genetic engineering isnt what you think it is, it is exactly what ToiletDuk is talking about. for example we have breed carrots over the last 100 years to go from purple, to orange, and before that they whre white I think. its called a Cultivar. Its kind of like for reasons we cant understand due to being so long ago, Marijuana was grown for its reasons while hemp was grown for other reasons. two very different plants of the same species. I ate something just last night that was a cultivar of broccoli that was totally different in flavor and size of any other broccoli i had ever eaten (broccolini)

just how many of these people are "criminal gangs" outside of the crime of growing pot? and just how often are these actually found, once, twice a year? where are the statistics? how many do they not catch (no one will ever know) I say a lot of smaller to medium sized ops are better than a few huge ones, but the fact that marijuanas price never really changes just shows the futility of this whack a mole game.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7694391 - 11/29/07 12:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cannabischarlie said:
genetic engineering isnt what you think it is, it is exactly what ToiletDuk is talking about. for example we have breed carrots over the last 100 years to go from purple, to orange, and before that they whre white I think. its called a Cultivar. Its kind of like for reasons we cant understand due to being so long ago, Marijuana was grown for its reasons while hemp was grown for other reasons. two very different plants of the same species. I ate something just last night that was a cultivar of broccoli that was totally different in flavor and size of any other broccoli i had ever eaten (broccolini)

genetic engineering
n.

Scientific alteration of the structure of genetic material in a living organism. It involves the production and use of recombinant DNA and has been employed to create bacteria that synthesize insulin and other human proteins
---

genetic engineering
The science of altering and cloning genes to produce a new trait in an organism or to make a biological substance, such as a protein or hormone. Genetic engineering mainly involves the creation of recombinant DNA, which is then inserted into the genetic material of a cell or virus.

---

While I'm sure you guys can find some asshole using the definitions this guy is, they're not at all common.

Engineering is the deliberate design of something through positive action and prior planning.

Selective breeding is not engeneering.

You and the DEA are wrong, at least as wrong as you can be while relying on a definition of a relativly new word.

OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: johnm214]
    #7695074 - 11/29/07 04:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

that doesnt even sound remotely close to what a dictionary would write as a typical definition.

by the way, anyone ever looked up dictionary in a dictionary? it tells you to stop wasting time and do something with your life.

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

OfflineShroomieGirl
What are these god damn animals
Female User Gallery

Re: Editorial: All Those Indoor Pot Farms [California] [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #7696771 - 11/29/07 10:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

:gayflag:

--------------------
:bouncysmoke:

I'm ok, really.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Hemp

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service