Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYrat
Hello

How do I fix this?
    #7687826 - 11/27/07 09:40 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Here's my problem. A little over a week ago I started my first attempt using the PF tek with organic rye flour substituted for brf. I got two syringes from Lil' Shop o' Spores, one Creeper and the other Hawaiian, used half of each to knock up 5 pints for 10 pint jars total. Since then I have seen little to no growth. Well, basically I've seen no growth save for some residue on the inside of the jar beneath some innoc holes which i'm not even sure is myc starting up. So as my impatient self I have been going over and double checking all my steps, incubator etc etc, and have just stumbled over a glaring mistake I made. I used the formula for max fruiting, (1/2cup verm, 1/4 cup flour, 60ccs per 1/2 pint) doubled for my pint jars EXCEPT I forgot to double to water !!!!! so the jars are undoubtedly way too dry. I'm pretty much decided on the fact I need to start over. This is where my question comes into play. Please tell me if something is wrong with my plans: I'm going to dump each batch back out, mix in the additional water, re-jar, re-PC, and re-innoc with the remaining half-syringe (it was only $17 for the two, no biggy). Is there anything wrong in going through with this?

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

Loc: FL
Re: How do I fix this? [Re: Yrat]
    #7687902 - 11/27/07 09:53 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

why not just go to the store. pick up some brown rice. use a coffee grinder (or buy one) and make it like flour. then mix up

1 cup brown rice flower (you just made)
1 cup water
2 cups verm

mix and that should make about 5 jars. dont forget your dry verm barrier

also. you may wanna look into making a liquid culture with some of your spore syringe. it will make you go from 1cc to 200cc's.

OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

Re: How do I fix this? [Re: sproket13]
    #7688157 - 11/27/07 10:48 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

could it work? possibly.

If I were you I'd go get the right ingredients and start over, so you know it's right.

I don't see a real problem with using rye flower though. I have an inkling that brf will still work better however. I always made my own by grinding brown rice in a coffee grinder. Either way, the stuff you need is much too cheap to risk a second failure by re-using ingredients.

Offlinejohnnyfacker
Stranger
Male

Re: How do I fix this? [Re: Xeluc]
    #7688403 - 11/27/07 11:47 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

The rye flour is not the problem, many people use rye instead and some claim it's better. The problem is the dryness, I would say wait and see, if it colonizes you can then dunk it which should mean your ok for fruiting. However there may be a way to hydrate them now, just not that I know of.

OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
Re: How do I fix this? [Re: johnnyfacker]
    #7688551 - 11/28/07 12:30 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Your rye flour is not the problem.

The moisture could be playing a major factor in the slow germination rate your experiencing but it could also be your incubating temperature, to see growth within 3-5 day's you want your jars to stay around 72f - 84f don't go any higher or you'll be favoring competitor organisms development.

What are you using for incubation?

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How do I fix this? [Re: Pr0_X]
    #7688585 - 11/28/07 12:38 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Here's my problem. A little over a week ago

Which is barely enough time to see any growth with the naked eye under the best of conditions.

If you use rye flour, it has to be sterilized in a pressure cooker, not boiled/steamed as per the pf tek. You also needed to 'almost' double the water. If you fully double the water for pints, it will be too wet. The larger the container, the drier you need to make the mix. I recommend 1/2 pints for brf or rye/verm. You don't get twice the bang from pint jars, and they take at least twice as long.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: How do I fix this? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7689272 - 11/28/07 08:23 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I know the rye flour was not my problem, I worded the beginning of my post wrong :smile:.  The jars were sterilized in a PC and allowed to cool for a full 24 hours, i didn't want to take any chances.  I realize now that half pints are the way to go.  i will allow them to continue to incubate and wait a couple more weeks before deciding what to do.  will they have any chance at growth with half the water they should have?

They are being incubated in a TiT at a constant 76-78F.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag