Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
FAQ missing something?
    #768145 - 07/22/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey shroomerites!

I was checkin the FAQs yet again today and i remembered something i wanted to ask a while ago. The FAQ has 2 main sections for basic PF growth "The PF Cake - Recipes through Inoculation" and "The PF Cake - Incubation through Birthing".

What about "The PF cake - Birthing through harvesting", i think it would gather some needed info into 1 place.

I have looked around the FAQs for pinning questions, fanning questions, more detailed abort info etc. and cant find it. Maybe i am just not good at looking up things....

I think we should put together "The PF cake - Birthing through harvesting" or is it already in the works?

Thanks
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewalt
?
Re: FAQ missing something? [Re: Fd3000]
    #768384 - 07/22/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

try searching around on some of the forums here at the shroomery.

Edited by walt (07/22/02 04:50 PM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #768875 - 07/22/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>>I have looked around the FAQs for pinning questions,
>fanning questions, more detailed abort info etc. and cant
>find it. Maybe i am just not good at looking up things....

Since those things are not only PF tek specific, they are in the section Casing and general growing

http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?list=category&nr=4&prog=1&lang=en

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #768877 - 07/22/02 07:32 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Although there might be such a section in the future...

Could you compile a list of questions that would go in this section?

Edited by Anno (07/23/02 06:03 AM)

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: FAQ missing something? [Re: Anno]
    #768920 - 07/22/02 07:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I know these are stated else ware in the FAQs but they would be good to have in the list.

What is this white fluff growing on my cake(referring to the new mycelium that newbs often mistake for a contam)?
What conditions are optimal for pin formation?
Can a PF cake become contaminated after birthing?
What do pridomina (sp)/pins look like?
How to tell when a pin aborts?
What is this black stuff growing on the cap of an abort (referring to rot)?
Why do pins abort?
Can you fan/mist too much?
When is a mushroom at its potency peak?
When is a mushroom ready to be spore printed?
How do i harvest a mushroom?
What do i do after a cake has flushed?
How long does it take in-between flushes?

That?s all I can think of now, someone else help me out here. I think having questions like these all arranged in 1 spot is a great idea.....

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #769014 - 07/22/02 08:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Good....although some of those questions are already in other sections, it might actually be a good idea to put them also in this new category..
I?m going to work on this, if you feel like you can provide good answers to those questions, please post them here or pm then to me. Thanks!

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
    #769286 - 07/22/02 11:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks Anno!

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
    #769649 - 07/23/02 05:37 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Also, how can I tell when a cake is spent? And what should I do with the old cakes? Compost them? Bury them outside? Grind them up, simmer, strain, and consume?

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: FAQ missing something? [Re: funwithgus]
    #769670 - 07/23/02 05:57 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Another good thing to add would be, like the guy above me said what to do with a spent cake. Options could be something like: Dunk and cold shock for 24 hours to attemp another flush, try the Moe's oudoor tek **link to outdoor tek**, and how to prepaire a cake cranberry drink to trip.

If this section is made it would gather some good info into 1 place and would probably reduce the amount of questions that are asked on a daily basis.

Thanks for considering the idea Anno!
Fd

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #769676 - 07/23/02 06:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The section is created, I?m adding the FAQ one by one...

Check it out:
http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?list=category&nr=14&prog=1&lang=en

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Fd3000]
    #769683 - 07/23/02 06:02 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAQ missing something? [Re: Macey Howard]
    #769688 - 07/23/02 06:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hmm, let it be here today, I think here it might be the better place to put together some questions that should go into the faq...

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#769704 - 07/23/02 06:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yes the suggestions forum would be the place you would automatically think this should go but it has alot to do with cultivation questions, answers etc so its better here...

I'll see if i can think of some more for ya Anno!
Fd

--------------------

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#769716 - 07/23/02 06:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Another important question is something like "What is this blackish gooy stuff on the caps of my mushrooms?". I am reffering to a bacterial infection that newbies ask about at least twice a week. Also it should be stated that eating infected mushrooms may not be health....

Here's one that comes up alot: "What is this white fluffy stuff growing on my cake after birthing?". Its referring to the new fluffy mycelium that grows on cakes before they pin.

Fd

--------------------

Edited by Fd3000 (07/23/02 06:24 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #769736 - 07/23/02 06:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well, here are the questions from above still without answers:

What is this black stuff growing on the cap of an abort (referring to rot)?
Why do pins abort?
What do i do after a cake has flushed?
How long does it take in-between flushes?

Do you want to provide FAQlike answers to them?
That would be a great help.

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #769796 - 07/23/02 07:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you, Fd, and thank you, Anno. Great pictures...looking forward to seeing the rest.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#769892 - 07/23/02 07:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don?t know all of the answers myself but ill answer what I can. For the answers to the rest ill PM roadkill and the other pro's to see if they know...

What is this black stuff growing on the cap of an abort? : When the cap of an abort begins to turn black it is rot beginning to take over the dead mushroom. The mushroom rots because it is no longer growing or being supported by the nutrients from the mycelia (sp).

Aborts that show a lot of black rot should be harvested from the cake/casing soon because the rot can introduce new contaminants to the cake or other fruit bodies.

Why do pins abort?: **I am just assuming here, I have no real evident of this** Why pins/mushrooms abort is not entirely known. It is most likely because the mycelium is using up the majority of its water/nutrient/energy to grow the other fruit bodies. The reason certain pins are chosen to abort in unknown.

Can you fan/mist too much? I know you can mist too much but I don?t know about fanning so i'm going to ask a few people.

What do I do after a cake has flushed?**Assuming this means after the first flush, not after the cake is spent** There are many things that you can do with a cake after its flush. You can use the Dunk Tek ( http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/dunktek.html ) and you can also cold shock it. These step are not necessary to initiate a new flush but they don?t do any damage so their is no reason not to.

How long does it take in-between flushes? The time between flushes can vary from a few factors- strain, pinning condition (temperature, humidity, air exchange, light), and weather the cake was cold shocked or not.

Generally it takes 4-10 days in-between flushes but again this can vary greatly.

That?s all I know, feel free to change anything if the info is wrong or not worded properly. I'll PM a few people about why pins abort and if you can fan/mist too much.

Again, if anyone can think of a few more questions or new answers than feel free to post them!
Fd

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#769917 - 07/23/02 08:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

please don't post anymore untill you've been around longer. If shroom growing was idiot proof, then there would be alot of idiots with mushrooms, and nobody wants that. Your not an idiot are you?

You have accumulated 500+ posts in a few months. Please just listen for a while.

--------------------

Edited by Shaw (07/23/02 08:16 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: FAQ missing something? [Re: Shaw]
    #769988 - 07/23/02 08:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

? ? ?

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#770001 - 07/23/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Man whats your problem, i answered all i could and the abort one may be wrong but i figure the rest are right.... What do you know that i dont? If there was somethign wrong with my answers why didnt you just correct me? I'm just trying to help make the FAQs a little bit more simple for the newbies.

"if you don't know the answer, read "the Mushroom Cultivator"."
Well if you refered me to a book i would assume you have read it. Why didnt you just help out a little bit and give the right answer?

Anyways i PM road about the abort question and the fanning question, havet got a responce yet.

Anno was there anything wrong with my answers?
Fd

--------------------

Edited by Fd3000 (07/23/02 08:52 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #770051 - 07/23/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>Anno was there anything wrong with my answers?

No, as you can see I wonder at Shaw ....

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#770316 - 07/23/02 10:36 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here is what road had to say about the Q's:

I think air exchange is very important.....I don't think you should fan over 3 times a day.... you can lose humidity if you do.
Although if you use a bubbler you will get more air exchanges and keep the humidity up high enough.
I think if you over mist your cakes and casings directly on them.....you are more apt to get contams.
Why do pins abort?
I believe pins abort when you don't have the right growing conditions.
Temp, humidity and air exchange are all factors.

So I guess ill change update the answers:

Why do pins abort?: **I am just assuming here, I have no real evident of this** Why pins/mushrooms abort is not entirely known. It is most likely because the mycelium is using up the majority of its water/nutrient/energy to grow the other fruit bodies. The reason certain pins are chosen to abort in unknown.
Also the conditions in the terrarium are a major factor, humidity, air exchange and temperature. It is known that if there is too little oxygen and too much carbon dioxide in the terrarium there tend to be more aborts then if conditions were more favorable.

Can you fan/mist too much?: Yes, you can. If you fan too much your humidity may be too low, its safe to say never fan more than 4-5 times a day.
You have to make sure you don?t mist your cake/casing too much! If you mist too much it will drown the mycelium with water and help contams thrive. The key word is moist, when a casing/cake looks dried out then you can lightly mist it but don?t soak it. Also it is a good idea not to mist too much directly on pins or mushrooms because that can cause rot.

Anno read those over and check if it?s all good....
Fd

--------------------

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#773442 - 07/24/02 12:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

So Anno are you gonna add any more Q+A to the FAQs?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #774507 - 07/24/02 08:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am, just gimme a couple of days.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies