Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineheezy
Equilibrium
Male

Loc: US Flag
Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: Caribou_Lou]
    #18553873 - 07/13/13 05:10 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Caribou_Lou said:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't kill braincells, that's a myth. If it does it's not many, and much less than alcohol. I was under the impression that marijuana slightly affects your brain cells (memory loss) but then they eventually return to normal. I don't know much about that, but I've heard something along those lines.

Given that I have smoked weed on and off a couple times over several month long durations within the past year, and also given that THC stays in your system for approximately 30 days (give or take a couple days), I've speculated that there are definitely memory-impairing effects caused by marijuana, but also that these memory-impairing effects wear off after 30 or so days (once the THC is no longer in your system).

To sum it up, 30 or so days after I smoke I notice my memory returns to normal as if nothing ever happened.

--------------------
"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsychotria
Acaciagrapher
 User Gallery

Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: vitadura]
    #18553923 - 07/13/13 05:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You are those annoying idiots giving weed a bad name, treating the drug like it some sort of amphetamine... Anyway the common effects are - get a bit dopey, short term memory loss, sleeping pattern fucks up, eating pattern fucks up. And to end it off you can only get these effects if your a chronic smoker.

--------------------

Offlineagent_smith
newb
Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: Psychotria]
    #25565651 - 10/25/18 07:33 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

redacted

Edited by agent_smith (03/20/19 07:34 AM)

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: agent_smith]
    #25565806 - 10/25/18 08:52 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Super chill

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#25566001 - 10/25/18 10:16 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

There is no re-wiring going on, but until I read that bit, I kinda liked where you were going.

The long and the short of it is, Cannabis can be strong, and if you develop a habit of use and dependency you, have to stop the habitual behavior in order to get back to your normal way of being.

I recommend use in moderation and without operating machinery.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblemendocino_beano
Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #25566479 - 10/25/18 12:56 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

I’m a pretty heavy user. I use first thing in the morning through the day until bed. It’s very rare that I’m not under the influence while driving.

:foreveralone:

Offlineagent_smith
newb
    #25566651 - 10/25/18 02:21 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

redacted

Edited by agent_smith (03/20/19 07:35 AM)

OfflineSalviNate
Misnomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dablands Flag
    #25566671 - 10/25/18 02:34 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kaptanjak said:
I've done some pretty extensive research on marijuana and because of that personally choose not to indulge. Although there are a lot of myths (however, that is true for both sides of the debate).

First of all, one has to define what marijuana is. Because naturally occurring, wild marijuana is an entirely different animal from what people smoke to get high. Wild marijuana always has high CBD relative to THC, which prevents any psychoactive effect. That's why wild strains are prized for breeding medical marijuana, because it produces the famous high CBD strains you hear about that are responsible for the various medical miracles.

Then you have hemp and psychoactive marijuana, which have both been selectively bread over many thousands of years. Hemp was bread to have very low to zero THC, whereas marijuana was bread to have high THC levels. When the amount of THC exceeds the amount of CBD, that's when it starts becoming psychoactive.

As far as long term effects, it depresses your endocannabinoid system. It "burns out" your cannabinoid receptors. This causes sluggish gut. It also causes your body to produce less of the feel-good endocannabinoids, so your mood isn't real great when you come off of it, and it can take years for things to get back to normal. This is why people who smoke weed for a long time can't eat without it, because they're no longer capable of digestion without outside cannabinoids to stimulate their gut. I imagine that's also the culprit in cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome; those people have probably just totally screwed up their CB receptors to the point that their body doesn't know if it's coming or going anymore.

There's also a reduction in gray matter in the brain and a sympathetic increase in neural connections to make up for the loss. Essentially it's the same coping mechanism the brain uses to overcome brain damage. However, CBD has neuroprotective effects, so high CBD strains (which unfortunately have no feel-good effects, but are medically useful) don't cause that loss of gray matter or the associated rewiring. With that said, CBD even on its own does down regulate the endocannabinoid system and reduces gut motility, which makes it an effective and time honored treatment for diarrhea.

Maybe the most dangerous aspect of marijuana is its impact on IQ. It's as close to medical fact as a theory can get that psychoactive marijuana lowers IQ, and it's orders of magnitude more dangerous for young people. BTW, there is a longitudinal study that rules out the possibility of low IQ individuals being more likely to take up the bong; the opposite seems to be true in many cases. The scary part is that this reduction in IQ only requires occasional use by teenagers. It's one thing for adults to occasionally indulge, but quite another for young people, which seems to be a common theme with everything, including alcohol.

With all that said, I think marijuana could easily replace the majority of OTCs and many prescriptions, and with less side effects and less damage. If people could self regulate and only use marijuana for the occasional headache or upset stomach I don't see how it could be any more harmful than the OTCs, and goodness knows it's WAY more effective.

The bottom line for me is that psychoactive marijuana is a very contrived substance. There's a very pronounced pattern in genetically modified foods being harmful, and I think that's the biggest thing marijuana has going against it. For example, things like corn and wheat, being selectively bread over thousands of years, have some unwanted side effects compared to less contrived foods. This is very unscientific, but I'm a creationist, and therefore believe that God designed everything, and that human departure from those designs is going to have negative consequences.

And again, very unscientific, but marijuana was disparaged by ancient healing systems like traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine. They saw it as a poison with no medical uses. They recognized of course that it alleviated symptoms, but those systems were focused on treating root causes of illness, not masking symptoms at the expense of further compromising the body.

One thing I wholeheartedly believe is that if you're going to use marijuana you should be using the naturally occurring strains that grow wild. They have a perfect balance of cannabinoids. I think it's dangerous to use marijuana with artificially altered CB ratios. There's no such thing as a "bad" CB. It's all a matter of the right amount in the right proportion to others. Like with THC. THC has many great benefits, but it has to be taken with CBD to prevent neurological damage. I find it beyond coincidental that wild marijuana just so happens to have this perfect balance where you get all the benefits of THC with the perfect blend of other CBs to provide neuroprotective elements. And of course that's only two out of at least a hundred CBs, so you can imagine what else we don't know about.

you are very informed about marijuana, i suggest you partake to finalize your studies.

--------------------

OfflineEnkidu
"No-Such-Person"
Male

#25567166 - 10/25/18 06:03 PM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
There is no re-wiring going on, but until I read that bit, I kinda liked where you were going.

The long and the short of it is, Cannabis can be strong, and if you develop a habit of use and dependency you, have to stop the habitual behavior in order to get back to your normal way of being.

I recommend use in moderation and without operating machinery.

What do you consider moderation? As far as weed

--------------------
Within You , Without You

:mushroom2::levitate::mushroom2:

OfflinePlantStudy
Researcher

Loc: USA -West Flag
Re: Long term effects of marijuana? [Re: Caribou_Lou]
    #25568119 - 10/26/18 12:11 AM (5 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Caribou_Lou said:
The whole bronchitis thing is such bullshit, so is the cough and tar. Marijauana tar is not like tobacco tar where it sticks to your lungs and clogs your alveoli, you cough up marijauna tar with mucous shortly after smoking.. even if you don't realize it. I don't even cough when I smoke weed..

Psychosis is really the only thing to worry about, after awhile it doesn't affect your memory as much as you think.

Use a vaporizer I personally think they are much safer and better for your health

--------------------
A healthy attitude is contagious but don't wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.

OfflineShroomsandstuff
Stranger
    #25574503 - 10/28/18 05:34 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

You have some good ideas here, but I think a few things need a bit of clarification. To preface this, I'd like to say that I'm not one of the people who thinks Cannabis has no negatives, or that it's some kind of "miracle" plant. I do, however, feel like some of the negatives are slightly exaggerated by some people.

Quote:

kaptanjak said:
First of all, one has to define what marijuana is. Because naturally occurring, wild marijuana is an entirely different animal from what people smoke to get high. Wild marijuana always has high CBD relative to THC, which prevents any psychoactive effect. That's why wild strains are prized for breeding medical marijuana, because it produces the famous high CBD strains you hear about that are responsible for the various medical miracles.

Then you have hemp and psychoactive marijuana, which have both been selectively bread over many thousands of years. Hemp was bread to have very low to zero THC, whereas marijuana was bread to have high THC levels. When the amount of THC exceeds the amount of CBD, that's when it starts becoming psychoactive.

Having 1:! CBD:THC ratios doesn't automatically mean you don't get high. CBD does alter the effects of THC, but it isn't as simple as CBD negates THC. THC also does have some medical benefits. Increased appetite, and a feeling of calmness and well-being are both commonly felt when one consumes THC. These are great for people who have a hard time eating (ie. chemo patients) or high stress levels. THC also helps people get sleep, which in itself is a huge benefit. Lack of sleep is detrimental to well-being and if a few puffs of high THC bud can help someone get a full night of rest, there is potential for it to help them function better, overall.

Quote:

kaptanjak said:
As far as long term effects, it depresses your endocannabinoid system. It "burns out" your cannabinoid receptors. This causes sluggish gut. It also causes your body to produce less of the feel-good endocannabinoids, so your mood isn't real great when you come off of it, and it can take years for things to get back to normal. This is why people who smoke weed for a long time can't eat without it, because they're no longer capable of digestion without outside cannabinoids to stimulate their gut. I imagine that's also the culprit in cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome; those people have probably just totally screwed up their CB receptors to the point that their body doesn't know if it's coming or going anymore.

Not everyone who uses Cannabis, even on a daily basis, loses their sober appetite, or ability to enjoy life. If you abuse it, and are stoned all day, every day, you may very well experience some of those negatives, but I wouldn't say Cannabis just ruins your ability to function while sober. I would just advise caution when using any chemical substance. Too much of anything can be harmful. Cannabis is no exception.

Quote:

kaptanjak said:
There's also a reduction in gray matter in the brain and a sympathetic increase in neural connections to make up for the loss. Essentially it's the same coping mechanism the brain uses to overcome brain damage. However, CBD has neuroprotective effects, so high CBD strains (which unfortunately have no feel-good effects, but are medically useful) don't cause that loss of gray matter or the associated rewiring. With that said, CBD even on its own does down regulate the endocannabinoid system and reduces gut motility, which makes it an effective and time honored treatment for diarrhea.

Maybe the most dangerous aspect of marijuana is its impact on IQ. It's as close to medical fact as a theory can get that psychoactive marijuana lowers IQ, and it's orders of magnitude more dangerous for young people. BTW, there is a longitudinal study that rules out the possibility of low IQ individuals being more likely to take up the bong; the opposite seems to be true in many cases. The scary part is that this reduction in IQ only requires occasional use by teenagers. It's one thing for adults to occasionally indulge, but quite another for young people, which seems to be a common theme with everything, including alcohol.

The changes in brain matter mass/percentages are interesting. THC seems to be the biggest culprit here, out of the currently tested cannabinoids (based on my research). CBD is reported to minimize these negative effects.

As for IQ, the studies don't seem to be extremely definitive, as there are a range of other factors that can contribute to lowered IQ scores, including things that can also predispose people to start/continue drug use in the first place. More studies need to be done to clearly measure the extent of brain damage and IQ loss caused solely by Cannabis consumption.

Another thing to consider in regards to brain effects, is the fact that a lot of Cannabis studies utilize smoking as a means of consumption. Smoke in general is harmful, and can interfere with the data. Precisely measured edibles or even Cannabis vapor would be better for future experiments.

I agree 100% that people should not be using drugs for recreational purposes (including Cannabis, alcohol, psychedelics, etc.) until they are >21 (>25 would be even better). Studies show that changes caused by Cannabis in minors tend to be longer lasting and more damaging than those noticed in adults.

Quote:

kaptanjak said:
With all that said, I think marijuana could easily replace the majority of OTCs and many prescriptions, and with less side effects and less damage. If people could self regulate and only use marijuana for the occasional headache or upset stomach I don't see how it could be any more harmful than the OTCs, and goodness knows it's WAY more effective.

The bottom line for me is that psychoactive marijuana is a very contrived substance. There's a very pronounced pattern in genetically modified foods being harmful, and I think that's the biggest thing marijuana has going against it. For example, things like corn and wheat, being selectively bread over thousands of years, have some unwanted side effects compared to less contrived foods. This is very unscientific, but I'm a creationist, and therefore believe that God designed everything, and that human departure from those designs is going to have negative consequences.

And again, very unscientific, but marijuana was disparaged by ancient healing systems like traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine. They saw it as a poison with no medical uses. They recognized of course that it alleviated symptoms, but those systems were focused on treating root causes of illness, not masking symptoms at the expense of further compromising the body.

One thing I wholeheartedly believe is that if you're going to use marijuana you should be using the naturally occurring strains that grow wild. They have a perfect balance of cannabinoids. I think it's dangerous to use marijuana with artificially altered CB ratios. There's no such thing as a "bad" CB. It's all a matter of the right amount in the right proportion to others. Like with THC. THC has many great benefits, but it has to be taken with CBD to prevent neurological damage. I find it beyond coincidental that wild marijuana just so happens to have this perfect balance where you get all the benefits of THC with the perfect blend of other CBs to provide neuroprotective elements. And of course that's only two out of at least a hundred CBs, so you can imagine what else we don't know about.

I would avoid automatically assuming that selectively bred plants are more dangerous for us. Nature wasn't "designed" for humans. Every species has evolved to suit its own needs. Who's to say that some modifications can't make "natural" things more useful for us humans? Look at snake venom. If you let a venomous snake bite you, you'd be lucky to live, but the same venom can be modified to treat human illnesses.

In the case of Cannabis, it may very well be the case, that strains bred for high THC and low CBD levels are more harmful than those found in nature, but there are other tings to consider as well. If you are consuming any negative byproducts when you smoke/vape, having Cannabis with higher THC levels would allow you to inhale less of those, since you would need to use less of it. It would be interesting to the differences between someone who smokes lets say 3x as much wild Cannabis and someone who takes a few hits off of some selectively bred, indoor grown, high THC bud. Surely, the first person would be inhaling significantly more ash, benzine, etc.. How would the higher THC levels compare? We need more studies!

Also, ancient Chinese medicine included cannabis use.(Brand, E. J., & Zhao, Z. (2017). Cannabis in Chinese Medicine: Are Some Traditional Indications Referenced in Ancient Literature Related to Cannabinoids?. Frontiers in pharmacology, 8, 108. doi:10.3389/fphar.2017.00108)

Edited by Shroomsandstuff (10/28/18 05:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order