Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: Socrates is an asshole [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7682820 - 11/26/07 05:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what a joke...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Re: Socrates is an asshole [Re: Noetical]
    #7682906 - 11/26/07 06:11 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Heheh, Socrates is kind of a jerk. Remember when he told that young guy that he was repelled by him because he was attractive? Sometimes it seems like he was putting himself up on a pedestal.

On the other hand, I would say Socrates was the reason why Aristotle ended up creating formal logic (that's a wild speculation :yesnod:). Socrates wanted to get to the ground of everything, he didn't want to simply accept what sounded good (popular opinion). I think he was a genuine seeker of truth and not just a person who thought he had the answers and mocked those who didn't.

In the Euthyphro chapter, I had pictured Socrates with a big smirk and "this guy is a fool" kind of attitude when he was saying how he wished he could know the nature of piety if Euthyphro only could clarify his position. I now think Socrates is more humble than that... Euthyphro ran away like a coward by the way, and not much has changed in the realm of philosophy since those ancient days.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Socrates is an asshole [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7683016 - 11/26/07 06:45 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Why? :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: Socrates is an asshole [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #7683049 - 11/26/07 06:58 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

EternalCowabunga said:
Heheh, Socrates is kind of a jerk. Remember when he told that young guy that he was repelled by him because he was attractive? Sometimes it seems like he was putting himself up on a pedestal.

On the other hand, I would say Socrates was the reason why Aristotle ended up creating formal logic (that's a wild speculation :yesnod:). Socrates wanted to get to the ground of everything, he didn't want to simply accept what sounded good (popular opinion). I think he was a genuine seeker of truth and not just a person who thought he had the answers and mocked those who didn't.

In the Euthyphro chapter, I had pictured Socrates with a big smirk and "this guy is a fool" kind of attitude when he was saying how he wished he could know the nature of piety if Euthyphro only could clarify his position. I now think Socrates is more humble than that... Euthyphro ran away like a coward by the way, and not much has changed in the realm of philosophy since those ancient days.

When I first read the Euthyphro I had the same feelin' that he was jerking him around.

Now I'm of the opinion that S was very genuine in his attempt to define piety with Euth. And though it ends inconclusively you can salvage a conception of what Socrates possibly believed piety was.

More to follow I have to finish a paper.... on Socrates

Offlinefaceofbear
the witch-doctorlife
Male User Gallery

#7684103 - 11/27/07 12:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i just wanted to add....

one must remember to take the literalness of the Socratic dialogues with a pinch of salt. no-one really knows where Socrates ends and Plato begins, if you will. much as i love the character of Socrates as portrayed in the dialogues (and just as i have noticed his tendency to come off as a little bit of a jerk), i have to admit to myself that there's no way i could really know what he was like other than to have met him and talked to him for myself.

except, of course, that he was an OG. that goes without saying.
:bigjoint:

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Wolf

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7685257 - 11/27/07 09:52 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

This thread sucks. I wanted to talk about Socrates and Plato. Instead its filled with garbage.

Poor guy. :hissyfit:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom