Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Life advice
    #7675868 - 11/24/07 08:01 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I need some. 

I currently work at a bar.  It's fun but I can't be doing shit like this when I'm 40.  I would like some kind of career.  It's not like I need the money....it would just be too embarrasing to be working such a low-level job when I'm older.

I just finished an associate's degree from a technical school.  The school was pretty much a scam and I have no interest in pursuing what I went to this school for anyway.

I have enough credits from this technical school and my first foray into the university world (many eons ago) to start in probably the third year of a bachelor's degree program.  If I hustled I could get a degree in about 2 years methinks.  I was thinking of just getting a general science degree.  Basically, I would know math, biology, and chemistry but I wouldn't actually know how to do anything.  :shrug:  However, I know a lot of people who got "general" degrees like Liberal Arts, basic science, etc.. and they work as cashiers and shit.  I don't want to blow $30,000 on going back to school if it means that I won't be able to get a job.

The thing is....I really don't want to learn anything nor can I think of anything that I want to do.  I would totally have to force myself to open my books and learn.  I also dread working a lot.  I see what happens to people who have careers.  All they do is work, get stressed out, gain weight, and it's totally like their lives are over.

I really don't fucking know what to do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHuHEN
I am the Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Highlands Flag
Re: Life advice [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #7675877 - 11/24/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

become famous.

--------------------

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7675892 - 11/24/07 08:07 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

one thing that will help you out when you do figure out what you want to do, is save money. so many things these days rely on money and having a nice amount on hand will help.

try different things until you find something you like. i tried fast food, retail, landscaping, until i found warehousing. i even thought about going to college for computer programming.

take it one day at a time and never stop looking for a better job, better insurance, and a better girlfriend.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #7675902 - 11/24/07 08:10 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Whats wrong with being a 40 year old bartender?  If this housing market gets much worse I might quit construction and become a bartender!  After all, I've got nearly 2 good decades of practice sitting on the other side of the bar.  :grin:

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #7675904 - 11/24/07 08:10 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't pay millions of dollars, but have you ever thought of working for a non-profit that you respect? Believing in your workplace can, at the very least, give your daily toils a backbone and a reason.

:shrug:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Life advice [Re: LayYouIn]
    #7675923 - 11/24/07 08:14 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The sad thing is I'm so damn spoiled. I get a monthly allowance from a trust fund that allows me to live like I'm "lower middle class" and I don't have to do anything. I also have a certain inherited amount in an account that I can draw upon for whatever I want. If I go to school all of my schooling would be paid for probably and I also would get even more money every month from the trust fund (they'd pay my car insurance, etc..etc..). I'd basically have a free ride.

But, for the life of me I can't motivate myself to do anything. I look at my mom and how she works 60 hours a week and I am aghast. Is that what a career entails...working yourself to death?

I guess I want prestige but I don't want to have to do any work. I want to be able to say, "Yeah, I'm a blah blah" and have that garner respect. But, I don't feel like dragging myself out of bed and actually doing any of the work that would be associated with it.

Edited by RandalFlagg (11/24/07 08:20 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Life advice [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #7675930 - 11/24/07 08:16 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ToTheSummit said:
Whats wrong with being a 40 year old bartender?

I dunno. It's ok to do a job like that for a while but I couldn't do it for 30 years. I would feel like a loser. My parents were and are so damn successful and here I am a fucking nobody.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
    #7675931 - 11/24/07 08:16 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, a trust fund.

That's your problem.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

Re: Life advice [Re: lukeboots]
    #7675944 - 11/24/07 08:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
It doesn't pay millions of dollars, but have you ever thought of working for a non-profit that you respect? Believing in your workplace can, at the very least, give your daily toils a backbone and a reason.

I really don't desire to make a charitable difference in this world. All I see in my fellow humans is selfishness and graft. Expect for my family and friends...I tend to dislike people.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #7675948 - 11/24/07 08:20 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

just start trying new things until you find something you like.

OfflineMocha Bear
BHP
Male

Loc: Mississippi
    #7675952 - 11/24/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The one good thing about working at a bar is that you meet alot of new people. Network some and maybe you'll meet someone that has a connection. Just try and get your name out there. Getting a good job right out of college is tough and I know plenty of people that aren't doing what they went to school for because they have to pay the bills and they can't afford to just sit around and look for one.

Being young we still don't know exactly what we want to do, but the one thing I can say is just go where your heart tells you (As cliche as that sounds) The real world sucks but it is what you make it in the long run. Just weigh out your options. Just because you're working in a bar doesn't mean you're going to be there when you're 40...things change but you have to keep an eye out for an opportunity.

If going back to school is what you want just make sure while you're there you're scouting for jobs so you don't have to get the cashier job when you're done. At the same time you do have a degree and do you really want to take out more money? I can tell that you don't want to be the 'typical' American who life becomes repetitive and you're stuck in a job you don't like for 20+ years.

I guess what you really have to do is decide what will be best for you...right now. If you're happy at the bar than stay but if you're tired leave. Don't worry to much about where you're going to be when you're 40 because that'll just have you worrying everyday. Everything will be cool dude :thumbup:

--------------------
The love you take is equal to the love you make....

Edited by tclsc03 (11/24/07 08:23 PM)

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
    #7675955 - 11/24/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I don't agree, but alright. I hear ya.

I know a few kids/people with trust funds. They all seem to have the same problem as you. A free ride isn't living. I don't know what to tell you, except that I'm not a fan of your lifestyle. Constantly doing things that don't please you, and complaining at the same time.. it's a waste and you know what you're doing. Find a cure. Something in the world has to matter to you.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7675957 - 11/24/07 08:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Come be my roommate when I head off to grad school. That doesn't help you with your job problem, but at least we could have some fun.

Invisibleadrug

#7675958 - 11/24/07 08:23 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
The sad thing is I'm so damn spoiled. I get a monthly allowance from a trust fund that allows me to live like I'm "lower middle class" and I don't have to do anything. I also have a certain inherited amount in an account that I can draw upon for whatever I want. If I go to school all of my schooling would be paid for probably and I also would get even more money every month from the trust fund (they'd pay my car insurance, etc..etc..). I'd basically have a free ride.

Free college? Fucking go. Don't make me come over there and smack you upside your trust fund head!

Offlinecube428
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: A-TX
    #7675969 - 11/24/07 08:27 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

something Ive learned a long time ago when it comes to working in the real world- enjoy your job/ have Fun with it, if your not happy then find something else that will better suit you. Whether its being a bartender, doctor, digging ditches, whatever etc....

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #7675971 - 11/24/07 08:27 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

No matter what you do, just try to relax and have some fun.  Will working a career make you happy?  :shrug:  Who cares about expectations.  Just have a good time.

OfflineMocha Bear
BHP
Male

Loc: Mississippi
    #7675975 - 11/24/07 08:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

But, for the life of me I can't motivate myself to do anything. I look at my mom and how she works 60 hours a week and I am aghast. Is that what a career entails...working yourself to death?

I guess I want prestige but I don't want to have to do any work. I want to be able to say, "Yeah, I'm a blah blah" and have that garner respect. But, I don't feel like dragging myself out of bed and actually doing any of the work that would be associated with it.

Heh well you need some kind of work ethic unfortunately. I mean yeah it'll be awesome to get this amazing job with an amazing title and making amazing money but you wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much if you didn't work for it a little.

You're lucky that you have access to money and the fact that you want to do something even though you really don't have to is great but you have to find something you really want to do (Something that you actually would WANT to get out of bed in the morning to do) and just go for it. What do you have to lose?

--------------------
The love you take is equal to the love you make....

Edited by tclsc03 (11/24/07 08:29 PM)

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7675979 - 11/24/07 08:29 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
I don't know what to tell you, except that I'm not a fan of your lifestyle. Constantly doing things that don't please you, and complaining at the same time.. it's a waste and you know what you're doing. Find a cure. Something in the world has to matter to you.

True. I haven't had to work in years and this has made me mentally lazy. I can barely even focus when reading a paragraph anymore. I'm not an idiot, but I'm definately not in top "intellectual shape" at the moment.

I dunno man...it's like nothing is good enough for me. I can't imagine starting at the bottom somewhere and sitting in a cubicle or some shit. I want prestige, renown, and wealth and I don't want to have to work to get it.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Re: Life advice [Re: cube428]
    #7675980 - 11/24/07 08:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Go to Canada, or Russia, and mine asbestos. Now that's a career.

--------------------

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos Flag
    #7675984 - 11/24/07 08:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

whatever happened to the out-doorsy career path you were considering?

you know what you should do, since you have all that disposable income? extreme sports. go traveling the world surfing or skydiving or basejumping. or at least the traveling part. maybe you need to get out and see the world a bit to help set you on your path.

also, if you do decide to do those extreme sports, make sure you write me into your will... simply because.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder