Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewB_Grower
El Guapo
Male User Gallery

No pinning
    #7666180 - 11/22/07 08:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Ok so this is my first time growing shrooms. I followed the instructions on this site, and so far so good maybe i think????

My incubation setup is set at 80f. Now some of my jars colonized quicker than others, but at this point they are all pretty much colonized like the one in the picture, but the ones that colonized first have been like that for 4 or 5 days now and im wondering why there is no pinning? according to the instructions im supposed to wait untill they start pinning in the jars before i transfer them into the fruiting chamber, but im worried that if i wait too long they will start dying off.

I have read in other instructions that you should transfer them whenever they are fully colonized and im wondering what i should do.

For my fruiting chamber i have the wet perlite layer on bottom (which i sprinkled with a little hydrogen peroxide) and that brings the humidity level between 90-95% and the temp 71f and i included an aerator going through the water jar (with a little heater to help evaporation) which keeps the levels around 96-97% humidity and 73f. Im hoping the aerator will help eliminate the co2 buildup, Should i still fan it a couple times a day, or is this good enough???? the air pump is for a 60 gallon tank.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroominScooby
Hemp Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: No pinning [Re: NewB_Grower]
    #7666202 - 11/22/07 08:58 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

yea dude
take em out the jars after they are fully colonized for a good couple of days to a week(everyone says different).
you just want to make sure that they colonized the full way through the cake before popping the lid.

This looks like the PF tek(so im assuming it is).

Why do you have the Aluminum foil still on?
If you have the dry verm layer right under the lid pop that aluminum foil off.
You should have holes poked in the lid and the aluminum is blocking them.
You need FAE (fresh air exchange) inorder to continue the growth of the myc.
You may even want to flip the jars over to get some more fresh o2 up in the jars.
Your FC setup is fine.
yes you should still fan them a few times a day.

do you have some water at the bottom of your FC?
I dont' use perlite in my FC i use hydroton (so im not 100% sure but im like 98% sure that with perlite its the same idea and that) you should have a nice thick layer of it on the bottom of your FC and then H20 with it so that the perlite isn't under water but the water level should be a good half inch to an inch below the top of the perlite and your air pump should be pumping air into this water to raise humidity but i mean, if what you got is working then keeping going!
also, for your incubator you may want to raise the temp up a few degrees. optimum temp is like between 83-85 with nothing inthere and the heat generated from the myc growing should put it up to about 86 or 87 degrees F.

And now the answer to your question:
Your jars aren't pinning because the myc. hasn't been "given the okay" to start that stage in its life yet. Pinning is initiated by a drop in temp and exposure to light (as well as other things) that is why your FC is about a whole 10 degrees colder then your incubator and that is also why you need the high humidity and the light for your FC.

(once critical thing tho, your incubator, its a tub-in-tub incubator right? do you have a lid on that top tub? or is it just coverd with a blanket? haha sorry just wondering b/c of your pic.)

KEEP GOING!!! you got it on the right track. thumbs up
-SS

--------------------
Everything posted above is simply to the best of my knowledge. Please feel free to contest or correct what I say.
Knowledge is built upon what we have gathered through research and past experiences and that nothing one person says is set in stone without the general acceptance from the society.

Edited by ShroominScooby (11/22/07 09:11 AM)

OfflineFunkatron9000
Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sector Zed: Region 6: Sol...
Re: No pinning [Re: ShroominScooby]
    #7666284 - 11/22/07 09:24 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The main trigger to start pinning is FEA. lol, I dont think they are getting any of that in the jars :rolleyes:

--------------------
You cannot yet touch my daughters awesome boobage
:jiggly:
You must fight to the death in the Breastriary of Nippopolis.

I thought Gene Wilder was cool BEFORE he was dead.

Invisibleblackfir
Seer
 User Gallery

#7666400 - 11/22/07 09:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You probably won't see pinning for at least a week, once they're in the FC. Also, a lot of people recommend leaving them in the jars for a week after full colonization so the myc can consolidate its hold on the substrate.

Edited by blackfir (11/22/07 09:55 AM)

OfflineShroominScooby
Hemp Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Re: No pinning [Re: blackfir]
    #7666737 - 11/22/07 11:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the repeat.
thanks for the repeat.
(sorry, high on turkey and weed)
-SS

--------------------
Everything posted above is simply to the best of my knowledge. Please feel free to contest or correct what I say.
Knowledge is built upon what we have gathered through research and past experiences and that nothing one person says is set in stone without the general acceptance from the society.

OfflineShroominScooby
Hemp Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

#7666766 - 11/22/07 12:02 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

oh shit but for serious this time,
you may want to consider dunk/CS/and Roll b4 hooking em up in the FC.
ive only fruited cakes a handful of times (caseings are much more bountiful :-) )
but if you cold shock/dunk&roll (debatable-->) you may get larger flushes(<--debatable) (i got some better flushes) or you could do what i have done:  case it. :grin:
-SS

--------------------

OfflineNewB_Grower
El Guapo
Male User Gallery

#7666787 - 11/22/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet, you guys responded quick, thanks alot.

Yea i just have the incubator covered with a sheet. I didnt know i was suppose to take the foil off, i was just following the pictures in the instructions, and they showed the jars with foil in the incubator, but maybe they didnt have the lid.

well i dont know much about casings and all that, cakes seemed easiest so i went with that. I thought dunking was for after the first flush? and whats rolling?

Cool, i took the foil off, and i'll wait another couple days and then go ahead and put them in the fruiting chamber. thanks for the advice

Edited by NewB_Grower (11/22/07 12:22 PM)

OfflineShroominScooby
Hemp Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

#7667275 - 11/22/07 03:13 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

no
dude you got to wait until
the cakes are FULLY COLONIZED for at least a few days
just because the out side it fully colonized doesn't mean the center is.

dunking is just to rehydrate the cake. your first flush maybe larger due to the dunk because it fills it up with more h20 so it doesnt dehydrate while fruiting. most everyone dunks after the first flush but some dunk before the first and a cold shock in the fridge at the same time to initiate the fruit cycle.

uhh, don't worry about casings. get the cakes down first then worry about stepping it up.

-SS

--------------------

Invisibleblackfir
Seer
 User Gallery

#7668012 - 11/22/07 07:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Rolling, is covering in a layer of vermiculite. Youtube RR's let's grow mushrooms, very informative.

--------------------
Tell me, I pray thee, where the seer's house is.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: No pinning [Re: blackfir]
    #7669306 - 11/23/07 07:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

They are not pinning becuase they are still colinising + they are not exposed to the pinning triggers.

First of let me make a few corrections.

Temperature drop is not a pinning triger.
Incubating jars do not need FAE, the need gas exchange.

Flipping jars doesnt introduce o2, but is thought that the c02 filters down reducing the c02 at the uncolinised part. c02 in high concentration can halt growth (and i think some co2 is benificial when colinising) this has never realy been proved to work.

Once they look 100% colinisation, leave them for 5-7 days, take them out the jar, rinse under cold water and remove the dry verm layer, then submerge in pot of cold water for 24 hours. Rinse again under cold water and roll in dry verm. Then you can put it in your FC. Leave for a few hours bofore moisting the verm on the cakes with misting.

Now FAE comes into play, fan your FC out 6 or more times a day, giving a brief mist to help bring rh back up quickly.

12/12 light cycle aswell.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinec0_hush
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: No pinning [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7669341 - 11/23/07 07:26 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I think light + FEA is what triggers pinning, from the pics they look close to 100% colonized, specially if no myc is growing anymore. If I were you, I would birth them ASAP, dunk and roll is optional, but if you're gonna go that route, you basically take the cakes out of jar and run them under running water for a min and then roll them in dry verm, place them in terrarium and mist the verm layer.

Another variation is to fully submerge the cake(s) in still water and put in a cool place for 12-16 hours and then repeat the runnig them under running water for a min and then roll them in dry verm, place them in terrarium and mist the verm layer technique again.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale