Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblethatamatt
reaching for the secret
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pangaea
mixture of green and white crap
    #7642179 - 11/15/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hello there, ladies and germs!
I love my new Hobie !, I've done my research here on the Shroomery forums and dove right in. One major problem though(so far).
First let me tell you what I've done. PF-Tek(word for word),except using 12, 1 pint jars, 4 inoculate holes. I put the brf-vem substrate up to the threads of the jars, through cleaned the glass and filled the rest up with vermiculite(fairly course verm.) covered top with foil. I don't have a PC so I steamed them(as described pf-tek) for one hour. The next day I inoculated, (open oven-tek) red hot syringe. and stored at about 72 F in the dark. About 9 days later I saw the patches of mycelium appearing first and then with in the next couple of days greenish mold was appearing first at the verm/substrate border. Then the green crap kept spreading down the injection sights and so on. Well, two of them turned out perfect with no signs of infections and are 100% colonized. The rest are a mixture of green and white crap(bye bye ).
Should the verm. at the top between the lid and the substrate be more fine like course sand? Steamed longer? or what?

--------------------
i cry for the moon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEnothe
Proliferater
Male User Gallery

Re: mixture of green and white crap [Re: thatamatt]
    #7642833 - 11/16/07 02:22 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i dont think finer verm would change much.

did you wipe excess water from the rim before applying the dry verm layer? if not it could have traveled using that bit of moisture.
this seems like the cause since it started at that point. either way make sure to get that rim really dry before adding dry verm and be as sterile as possible while inoculating.

if it wasnt sterile it would pop up randomly, so you probly PCed it fine, but going longer cant hurt.

--------------------
"Never Knows Best"

Invisiblethatamatt
reaching for the secret
Male User Gallery

Re: mixture of green and white crap [Re: Enothe]
    #7642894 - 11/16/07 03:10 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I did dry the rims. But I just realized I did not tape the holes after inoculation. Could that be it? My next batch I will try that and remove the tape after I see some mycelium. Also an extra 1/2 hour in the steam. Before all that of course.
Thanks for the feed back.

--------------------
i cry for the moon

OfflineTurntableJunky
Ethno Grower
Male

Loc: Sydney
Re: mixture of green and white crap [Re: thatamatt]
    #7643098 - 11/16/07 06:35 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

yup

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mixture of green and white crap [Re: TurntableJunky]
    #7643559 - 11/16/07 10:16 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Fine verm works far better than course for the filter, and for that matter, it works better for the brf mix as well.

NEVER use the oven tek. It's totally bogus and ruins more crops than any other. If I could remove that bogus tek, I would. The convection caused by the hot oven creates airflow and turbulence that makes it the worst possible place to inoculate in. Build a still-air glovebox, or work in a plastic trash bag or something that will contain drafts.

If you PC your 1/2 pint jars, 45 minutes is probably enough. Pints should be PC'd for an hour, and if steaming, they need to go for 90 to 120 minutes after the steam begins to escape from the lid of the pot.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblethatamatt
reaching for the secret
Male User Gallery

Re: mixture of green and white crap [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7646425 - 11/17/07 12:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Wow RR! That bogus Oven-tek info has to go. I've read references to it all over the Forums. Well thanks for rest of the Real useful tips I can use.

--------------------
i cry for the moon

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder