Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

mushrooms and rabbits
    #763500 - 07/20/02 09:39 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i recently found a bag of rabbit food in my house.
it contains all sorts of vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, salt, magnesium, manganese, iron, zinc, copper, iodine, and a ton of amino acids including tryptophan (.12%). it is primarily composed of alfalfa meal, corn, soybeans, oat groats, barley, sunflower seeds, wheat middlings, carrots, green split peas, oatmeal, apples, pineapple, molasses, potatoes, onions, parsley flakes, celery flakes, a bunch of other veggie flakes, ground limestone, dicalcium phosphate, choline chloride, red 40 and a bunch of other stuff.
very healthy for rabbits, but i am wondering if it would be suitable as a substrate for growing mycelia. would it contaminate easily? is it ph balanced? it is called Super Premium Rabbit Blend by Wild Harvest.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: mushrooms and rabbits [Re: ]
    #763799 - 07/21/02 04:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was looking at some rabbit food like that yesterday. I decided to buy the Alfalfa/Timothy's Hay pellets because it didn't have all the vitamins added. I don't know that they are a problem but for me simple is better. The Alfalfa/hay pellets when soaked swell up a lot and break up into fine chopped hay. I added some to my experimental compost to try it. All I can find so far is composted cattle manurer with added forest products. It seems that this doesn't work according to some who tried it. I have made my own mix which looks absolutely fantastic:

1/3 Composted cattle manurer
1/3 worm castings
1/6 shredded coir
1/6 Alfalfa/hay pellets expanded

It is so nice and black and the texture with the coir is absolutely perfect. I stir it several times a day and is so light and airy and yet when you squeeze it, it sticks together. The PH is perfect and is holding steady through many readings at 7.2. I have a few other things to add if I get inspired but my instinct tells me this is a good mix. I'm just worried about whether the Alfalfa will contaminate. If I see it is behaving itself, I will try to add more hay to the mix. I want it for my Pan subs but I think cubensis should like it as well. I haven't tried this mix yet so it is all speculative.

I actually bought the Timothy's Hay in a bale before but cutting it up is a pain. These blocks are all chopped up into 1/4 to 3/4 inch little pieces. They are pretty expensive at $5cdn for 1lb, but they swell up like crazy when you wet them, and when used in addition to the mix the price goes down as the manurer is $2 for a large bag. I am just trying to goose up the manurer to the point where it will work. I am thinking about using my parrot guano as they eat mostly seeds and grains and a bit of fruit. I tried feeding the soaked Alfalfa/hay to them and the Rosellas both loved it. The Amazon picked at it a bit. If I can get them to eat the alfalfa which is a recommended food, then I will have my indoor cows. I think their guano will then be very nutritious for the shrooms.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

InvisibleWe_come_in_peace
old hand

Loc: Alpha Centauri
Re: mushrooms and rabbits [Re: ]
    #764445 - 07/21/02 10:57 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Im currently growing Creepers on rabbit food as we speak. The mycelium love it, and I have found it runs through it faster when the rabbit food is ground down into a fine dust and not the whole chunks.

BUT! I have also found that it is a contamination invite festival. I have 1 casing and 1 cake that has survived. These two were the only ones that I pc'd the rabbit food for over an hour. The others, like an idiot, I pasturized. So be very clean cause its a breading grounds for any contam.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate