Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events
    #7628962 - 11/13/07 05:36 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

A little more dishonesty?

So common is can be overlooked?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/us/politics/12clinton.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Quote:

At two campaign events in Iowa this year, aides to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton encouraged audience members to ask her specific questions, a tactic that drew criticism from an opponent for the Democratic presidential nomination and led her yesterday to promise that it would not happen again.

Mrs. Clinton, speaking to reporters in Iowa, said she was unaware that her aides had ever planted questions.

“It was news to me,” said Mrs. Clinton, of New York, “and neither I nor my campaign approve of that, and it will certainly not be tolerated.”

Staff members have been told to avoid doing so in the future, advisers said.

Planting questions with audience members, while not unheard of in political campaigns, is generally avoided because of the embarrassing image it suggests when the tactic becomes public: that a candidate is uncomfortable facing tough questions or campaigning in unpredictable settings.

Iowa’s presidential caucuses are less than two months away, and Mrs. Clinton is in a tight race there with Senator Barack Obama of Illinois and John Edwards, a former senator from North Carolina.

Political analysts said that while planting questions is not the worst sin of a campaign operation, the practice could reinforce negative opinions about Mrs. Clinton.

“The problem for Hillary Clinton is the whole spin that’s going to happen — that she and her campaign are manipulative and scheming and that she is essentially trying to bend the rules to maintain her lead in the polls,” said Steffen W. Schmidt, a political science professor at Iowa State University.

The practice came to light late last week when a student at Grinnell College in Iowa, Muriel Gallo-Chasanoff, told her campus newspaper that a Clinton aide had asked her to pose a question to Mrs. Clinton about global warming.

The request came during an event Tuesday in Newton, Iowa, where Mrs. Clinton outlined her plan to create five million jobs in renewable energy sectors.

In a question-and-answer session with the audience, Mrs. Clinton called on several people with raised hands; some of them asked friendly questions about policy, and one man pressed her on trade issues.

At one point Mrs. Clinton called on Ms. Gallo-Chasanoff, who asked for the senator’s ideas for combating global warming.

Ms. Gallo-Chasanoff did not return phone messages over the weekend seeking comment. But the Grinnell College newspaper reported her as saying that the Clinton aide told her the campaign wanted a question from a college student, and that campaign staff members had prompted Mrs. Clinton to call on her.

A Clinton spokesman, Mo Elleithee, denied that Mrs. Clinton was aware of the planted question or that she was directed to call on Ms. Gallo-Chasanoff. But he confirmed that the campaign aide planted the question.

“It’s not something we do; it’s not an official campaign policy,” Mr. Elleithee said yesterday. “But it is now an official campaign policy that we will not do this moving forward.”

One of Mrs. Clinton’s opponents in the Democratic presidential race, Mr. Edwards, used the incident to chide her, telling reporters yesterday that voters at campaign events “expect you to stand in front of them and answer their hard questions, and they expect it to be an honest process.”

“What George Bush does is plant questions and exclude people from events, and I don’t think that’s what Democrats want to see,” Mr. Edwards said in Iowa.

In response, Mr. Elleithee said: “Senator Clinton has taken hundreds of questions here in Iowa and across the country from voters and reporters, and she will continue to. What George Bush does is attack the Democrats and divide the country, and John Edwards’s campaign is resembling that more and more every day.”

Last spring, an Iowa Democrat, Geoffrey Mitchell, said that a different Clinton aide encouraged him to ask Mrs. Clinton about Iraq policy during a campaign event, according to a news account at the time and a report Saturday on Fox News.

Mr. Mitchell could not be reached for comment yesterday. He is supporting Mr. Obama, according to Fox.

Mr. Elleithee said yesterday that this second instance was not an example of a planted question. Rather, he said, the aide and Mr. Mitchell were loosely familiar with each other and they were talking about Iraq, and the aide suggested that Mr. Mitchell ask a question.

“We often encourage people who have questions about the senator’s policies to ask her questions about them,” Mr. Elleithee said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #7628989 - 11/13/07 05:56 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I've read three different accounts now of her campaign managers planting questions in the audience of three different campaign stops. In all three cases, her campaign workers acknowledged that they did so. When FEMA did this a few weeks ago, several people lost their jobs because of it. Somehow, I don't see Hillary worrying about misleading the public. If Cheney is Darth Vader, then Hillary is the evil Emperor Palpatine.

...8 years of Bush as VP, 4 years of Bush a Pres, 8 years of Clinton as Pres, 8 more years of Bush as Pres... do we really want another 4 to 8 years of Clinton as Pres? Hmmm... 4 more years would put us at 2012; maybe the tinfoil hat wearing end-of-the-world brigade is on to something...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events [Re: Seuss]
    #7629487 - 11/13/07 09:20 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
  When FEMA did this a few weeks ago, several people lost their jobs because of it.  Somehow, I don't see Hillary worrying about misleading the public.

"Well it was news to me" Clinton said. "And neither I nor my campaign approve of that. And it will certainly not be tolerated." :rofl2:

I,m surprised the msm is even talking about it. I guess the they have become disappointed in Hillary.

Hillary Lacks Bill's Talent, The MSM wants to be able to hear a lie delivered flawlessly.....

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events [Re: lonestar2004]
    #7630738 - 11/13/07 01:58 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hillary challenging someone who asked her a question by suggesting that he was a plant....:thumbdown:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events [Re: lonestar2004]
    #7631166 - 11/13/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I just heard this girl on the radio. Here's a print copy of most of what she said.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/13/clinton.planted/index.html

Quote:

She said a senior Clinton staffer asked if she'd like to ask the senator a question after an energy speech the Democratic presidential hopeful gave in Newton, Iowa, on November 6.

"I sort of thought about it, and I said 'Yeah, can I ask how her energy plan compares to the other candidates' energy plans?'" Gallo-Chasanoff said Monday night.

According to Gallo-Chasanoff, the staffer said, " 'I don't think that's a good idea, because I don't know how familiar she is with their plans.' " Video Watch the student describe how she was approached »

He then opened a binder to a page that, according to Gallo-Chasanoff, had about eight questions on it.

"The top one was planned specifically for a college student," she added. "It said 'college student' in brackets and then the question."
Don't Miss

* Clinton camp: Edwards acting like Bush
* Clinton pledges caution on Social Security changes
* Election Center 2008
* Local coverage: Scarlet & Black

Topping that sheet of paper was the following: "As a young person, I'm worried about the long-term effects of global warming. How does your plan combat climate change?" Video Watch the student ask the planted question »

And while she said she would have rather used her own question, Gallo-Chasanoff said she didn't have a problem asking the campaign's because she "likes to be agreeable," adding that since she told the staffer she'd ask their pre-typed question she "didn't want to go back on my word."

Clinton campaign spokesman Mo Elleithee said, "This is not acceptable campaign process moving forward. We've taken steps to ensure that it never happens again." Elleithee said Clinton had "no idea who she was calling on."

Gallo-Chasanoff wasn't so sure.

"I don't know whether Hillary knew what my question was going to be, but it seemed like she knew to call on me because there were so many people, and ... I was the only college student in that area," she said.

What I heard on the radio was slightly different. The young lady said that there were hundreds of people there and only 4 questions were taken. Not likely random that she was one. Hillary is definitely lacking in skills. I can't wait until Bill says this girl is part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Clinton Aides Prompted Queries at Events [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7631169 - 11/13/07 03:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Unless she'll suck his dick, of course.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom