Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekenneld
Stranger
first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions
    #7629792 - 11/13/07 10:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

hello. long time reader first time poster.

i started my fisrt attempt at growing mushrooms about 2 weeks ago and things seem to be going prety well. i'm using the pf tek. i just had a couple questions i thought maybe someone here could answer for me.

first, what is "fully colonized"? does it just mean there is mycelium throughout the jar, or does it mean there is a LOT of mycelium throughout the jar, such that you can't see any of the substrate anymore? i ask because my jars seemed to have sort of stalled out. i'm not sure if they're done. here is a pic of the side and bottom of one of the jars in question:

and then my other question is one of the jars looks really dry and kind of "cobwebby". does this look ok?

thanks in advance for any help. i've noticed that this board is very tolerant of stupid newbie questions like mine, which is really nice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinec0_hush
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions [Re: kenneld]
    #7629809 - 11/13/07 10:57 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

That looks fully colonized to me, specially if it stalled like you said, I'd say it's time to dunk & roll and birth those cakes! But then again, I'm pretty new too so wait for others' opinion as well.

--------------------

OfflineDave Bowman
Albert Hoffmans Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Your Imagination
Re: first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions [Re: c0_hush]
    #7629820 - 11/13/07 11:00 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Lots of people say to wait a week before birthing it after it appears to be fully colonized, myself included. I just tried this on my jars and I got a pretty spectacular pinset and amazing first flush.

From what I can see, you can birth them now. But, if you wait a week or so with them still in the jar, they will fruit faster and more impressive.

OfflineMarlboroMan
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Tx
Re: first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions [Re: Dave Bowman]
    #7629834 - 11/13/07 11:03 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I'd wait another week if possible. If not, at least a few days. It will really help your pinset. Good job on the cakes though, they are looking great. Do you have anything covering the holes in the top of the jar? :rockon:

--------------------
I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl..

Offlinepxlgod
wizard
Male

Re: first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions [Re: c0_hush]
    #7629842 - 11/13/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I think you could wait a bit longer, maybe 5 days? Turn the jars upside down and slap them down on the palm of your hand. This will loosen the cake from the sides/bottom of the jar and they should finish colonizing the bottom. The best scenario would be to have no visible subrate showing + a few days more to wrap it up. If you've got uncolonized anything, even if its not visible (center of cake), I believe risk of a contaminant goes up. You can't really go wrong by letting them colonize too long from what I gather. If you exposed them to light and you see some pins in the jar a few days later, you can dunk/roll/birth

Offlinekenneld
Stranger
Re: first crack at growing - stupid newbie questions [Re: pxlgod]
    #7629941 - 11/13/07 11:21 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

ok thanks you guys. i'll give them another week. i wasn't sure about waiting for them to pin invitro since some things i've read say to wait and others say not to bother. i'm not in a rush, so i'll wait. thanks again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies