Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Pan Caster Find (pics)
    #738956 - 07/11/02 09:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Found last night growing exclusively in Bermuda Grass.
Notice the blueing of the mycelium.

Peace to Everyone ~

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: Peaceful_Nomad]
    #738996 - 07/11/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Very nice find...casters will do you no harm, enjoy.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Offlinedigital_olive
Stranger
Loc: Gulf Coast
    #739177 - 07/11/02 10:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Nomad, I think we live close by. We should get together and hunt. I have a field that has copious amounts of cubes and I'm sure there are copes and pans as well but I'm not adept at identifying them. email me and let's meet up.

D. O.

OfflineSporz
journeyman
    #750409 - 07/16/02 08:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Nice pan casters.

Notice how the stems are a shiny bronze faded twisty color..

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Peaceful_Nomad]
    #750715 - 07/16/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

InvisiblePeaceful_Nomad
On the Path ofthe Feather
 User Gallery

Loc: Sometimes Kansas - Maybe ...
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: Macey Howard]
    #750751 - 07/16/02 10:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Post some pics of your find if you can.
As StInvetroThomas and GGreatOne have
stated, this is a much under rated mushroom!

Happy Hunting

Peace to Everyone,

Peaceful Nomad

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #750858 - 07/16/02 11:03 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

GG...I think that you might be the resident expert on these...my fresh shroom experience has been much mor moving than dried...how much of the dried would one take, and how would one ingest them for a level 4 experience. Even the lower doses seem very nice...just not quite there for a dream quest kinda journey...like I have had when they are fresh.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineSporz
journeyman
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #753950 - 07/17/02 02:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey StInvetro,

With these casters i believe that they loose a good deal of their potency once dried,
The fresh ones really seem to be more potent.
As far as dosages, i would say that it varies quite considerably throughout the season.. and also depending on how robust the mushrooms are, and if they blue at the base of the stems. I would say an average dose of fresh casters is about a half ounce fresh, or 3 grams dry.

The problems with people harvesting castaneifolius lies within the other look-a-likes out there.
Here in florida, i do not think i have ever found the inactive shroom panaeolus foenisecii, of which is a lawn mushrooms and also looks very much similar to the castaneifolius. Along with foenisecii we have, strangely enough, the inactive dung inhabiting Panaeolus mushroom pan campanultus. Pan Camps are also growing in peoples lawns. And those can be hard to tell apart from castaneifolius.
Never before have i found Panaeolus antillarum in lawns, only dung.

Castaneifolius bruises blue at the base of the stems mycelium.
And i would say that only 1 out of every 4 or 5 casters i find displays the blue color. I would also say that the percentages of the bluing ones is actually higher than that, due to the fact that some of the stem bases will break off when picking, leaving no base of a stem to see blue.

Ive eaten pan casters about a dozen times...usually only eating around a dozen or two caps at a time.
I would however test the limits with this shroom and eat over a hundred fresh if i could get my hands on that many again.

Our cats best tenant and landlords sister of our friends,
have been trying to cultivate these suckers for a couple months now,
The mycelium does great in agar plates but those people have yet to get beyond that point.
They are now trying to clone wild specimens and performing various tests.

Anyways, Shrooms is shrooms,
Keep shroomin,
GG

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: Sporz]
    #754146 - 07/17/02 04:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That is what I thought...they certainly are casters, and subbs and other active panns I have been finding...of course I do get the odd foenescii in there too...usually the biggest fastest ones...I don't bother to get rid of them as they do contain some mood enhancing 5htp...but they are only like 5 percent of what I find.

How many have you eaten dry for a good experience? I ask because it has been dry here lately...and I have a good few ounces dried of these.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=726278&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Here is a mix of some castaneifolius and subbs...and a few strain variations I believe.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

#754316 - 07/17/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: ]
    #755508 - 07/18/02 06:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That picture is from Mitchnasts site, I think the site is a little old...but still has relevant info and pictures. The problem with these active panns is that there are so many variations, and possibly sub species and different strains. Then there are the environmental factors, and geographical factors that maker a difference too. Example I live in Ottawa, Mitchnast lives in Nova Scotia, GG and this guy live in Florida...then you have people finding subbs in GA, and on the west coast. Growing out of different substrates, different fertilizers and climates. There are so many variables, and variables in potency as well...even from lawn, to different lawn to hay stack, to lawn clippings etc. I go mostly on look and feel, and smell and of course spore print color. After a while you don't print them much any more...you just know what they are...or at least that they are a part of an active pann group...and you occasionally print the odd one out of each grouping.

I found Mitchnast's site very informative, but have also found discrepancies too...I know what he means though and have made the same mistakes as him...good thing those mistakes are only the difference between active panns and active panns or between active panns and foenescii. Which of course I would not have let happen if it was any different. Yes there are still many questions to be answered about these mushrooms, and possibly I or Mitch have even found new ones...I have never seen any that resembled my conic ones...and they are certainly not campanulatus group...the mycelium also bruised blue, spore print jet balck...but the cap did not have that hard pellicule like sphinctrinus or other similar...and I tripped off of them.

There are several active panns that grow on the east coast or eastern N. America like subbs, olivacious, microsporius, castaneifolius, papilonacious (possibly just variant of subbalteaus, and even more I suspect.

I don't have the equipment to do a lot of work on these...maybe I should send some of the more interesting specimens I find to Mr. Mushrooms, MJ or Workman to see what they think.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

#756885 - 07/18/02 04:40 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #757597 - 07/18/02 07:54 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here, here...I have been pondering this for some time now...I am also not content to just let LBM's stay as such, there are so many of them. Last fall I found over 20 that I could not ID...based on guide books and my own knowledge...some I came close on, but before I could snap a picture they dried up. being the relentless hunter I am, I come accross countless mushrooms...I don't have a microscope, but I would be willing to be involved in a project to help id these forgotten mushrooms...maybe we will find a new one or two.
I also think that amount of psilocybin, or psilicin or any other compound is secondary...it is the science and the unknown and wanting to know without a doubt that drives me too.

Cheers

Hey Plato how about you see if you can ID a few mushrooms from my older threads

They can be found at:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=492247&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=512102&Forum=All_Forums&Words=SThomas&Match=Username&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=509615&Search=true#Post512102

And here

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum3&Number=495781&Forum=All_Forums&Words=SThomas&Match=Username&Searchpage=4&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=492411&Search=true#Post495781

Would be greatly helpful.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #758412 - 07/19/02 06:33 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

looks more like pan microsporus to me
or subbs

OfflineSporz
journeyman
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #761252 - 07/20/02 06:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

microsporus contains no psychoactive chemicals, nor does it stain blue as these do.

I have never found microsporus before, this is florida.

Subbs do not grow in grass lawns.

Those are castaniefolius.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Pan Caster Find (pics) [Re: Sporz]
    #762540 - 07/20/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Allthough I think you are pretty cool and very knowledgable GG...subbs do in fact grow in grass lawns. Here in eastern Canada that is, and Michigan if I am not mistaken. In fact that is the only place I have ever found them...did not have access to a car this year...so I could not go visit the numerous farms in the area.

So that left me to use what I had available...my feet and a bicycle. After reading some of Mitchnast's older threads and checking out his website I was amazed to find out that they do grow in lawns, but not just any lawn will do...I usually only find them in newly sodded lawns that are well watered and contain a base of manure. The other place I find them are "expensive lawns" I call them that becaue they have built in sprinkler systems, are well cared for, well fertilized and are pesticide, herbicide and funguscide free. As we have not had a good rain in a few weeks this is usually where I find them lately...but not as plentiful or as large as on the newly sodded lawns..and always mixed with a few what I would like to think are casters and some other panns or subb variations.

Hope this cleared some thing up.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Edited by StInvetroThomas (07/20/02 03:17 PM)

Anonymous

#762555 - 07/20/02 03:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #762583 - 07/20/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Any good mushroom hunter will tell you it is important to pay attention to all details big and small...I would not have been so successful if I hadn't...especially living in the north east of North America..where we have to work our asses of to find hallucinagenic mushrooms...not like on the west coast or in the south...hehe. Just clownin yall...lol. And thanks for that Plato...did you hear that kids...pay attention.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

#762646 - 07/20/02 03:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #762771 - 07/20/02 04:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am all for all kinds of mushies...especially edibles...mmmm...oysters...but yeah the morels are plentiful out west...did not get out to find any this year at all...and withall the rain I bet we had our share here too...mmm mushies, I love all kinds.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale