Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJalruza
Boot Lover
Male User Gallery

I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain
    #7617716 - 11/10/07 06:41 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=11&Number=7614145&page=0&fpart=1

Any idea which clinic / scientific school i should approach to deliver my findings????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: Jalruza]
    #7617788 - 11/10/07 07:41 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Findings? :lol:

Everyone uses 100% of their brain. The only time they don't use it all is if they have brain damage.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: Jalruza]
    #7618116 - 11/10/07 10:18 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

they use the 10% at a time.
did you think the brain was just a big sponge that sometimes works?

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: vampirism]
    #7618487 - 11/10/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to spread a myth like this :rolleyes:

It is a myth that people only use 10% of their brains, or only use 10% "at a time".

For proof, should you need it, try and find me one scientific journal or article where it says this is true.

There aren't any.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: trendal]
    #7619423 - 11/10/07 04:19 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Well the 10% figure is probably off, but he right in a sense.

You are only ever using parts of your brain at a time. If you were to use all 100% you'd likely go into a seizure. Every one of your neurons firing at once would not a fun experience make.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #7619485 - 11/10/07 04:36 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I just read the links, so I feel like I need to clarify my statement.

I understand the myth and that we actually use all of our brain. I'm just saying that different regions of the brain are responsible for different processes and functions. Even a simple task could involve 100% use. It's just that it isn't happening simultaneously, but rather in a cascade.

If every pathway were active at once, I think a seizure would be the result.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #7619520 - 11/10/07 04:48 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

A neuron that it not firing is not unused. It is in a refractory state which is as important to neural function as the firing of neurons.

We use our entire brain all the time.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: Diploid]
    #7620184 - 11/10/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I can see how these things get started though. It's probably true that the average joe only uses ten percent of his potential. That doesn't mean he only uses ten percent of the actual cells.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7620438 - 11/10/07 10:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

All i can say is that it is preposterous for the original poster to claim that he is using 100% of his brain yet fubar the basic grammar in this thread's subject line in the manner that he did.

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Loc: CT
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: debianlinux]
    #7620460 - 11/10/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You use 100% of your brain all the time, or we would only have 10% of our brains in our head. if your body doesn't use something, it goes away (appendix, anyone?)

like diploid said, the neurons state becomes refractory. thats like saying you aren't driving a car for the mere fact that its in reverse.

and id like to agree with RogerRabbit on his theory, of course it may be that only ten percent of your brain is actually used for thinking, whilst the rest is used for involuntary things like face recognition or memory. the brain is a very mysterious thing, so whos to say.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: nobhdy]
    #7620957 - 11/11/07 01:32 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

> if your body doesn't use something, it goes away (appendix, anyone?)

Actually, they just figured out that that the appendix is not useless. Turns out that it is an "incubator" to bootstrap good bacteria in the digestive track. There was a good medical journal paper discussing this about a month ago.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: nobhdy]
    #7621083 - 11/11/07 04:29 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It looks like we do use a much greater portion of our brains than 10%.

But, you can lose parts of the brain.

Quote:

Finally, the saying "Use it or Lose It" seems to apply to the nervous system. During development many new synapses are formed. In fact, some synapses are eliminated later on in development. This period of synaptic development and elimination goes on to "fine tune" the wiring of the nervous system. Many studies have shown that if the input to a particular neural system is eliminated, then neurons in this system will not function properly. This has been shown quite dramatically in the visual system: complete loss of vision will occur if visual information is prevented from stimulating the eyes (and brain) early in development. It seems reasonable to suggest that if 90% of the brain was not used, then many neural pathways would degenerate. However, this does not seem to be the case. On the other hand, the brains of young children are quite adaptable. The function of a damaged brain area in a young brain can be taken over by remaining brain tissue. There are incredible examples of such recovery in young children who have had large portions of their brains removed to control seizures. Such miraculous recovery after extensive brain surgery is very unusual in adults.

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #7624470 - 11/12/07 03:30 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I use 100% of my heart....

Awwww... im so cute.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: Seuss]
    #7624824 - 11/12/07 08:38 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> if your body doesn't use something, it goes away (appendix, anyone?)

Actually, they just figured out that that the appendix is not useless. Turns out that it is an "incubator" to bootstrap good bacteria in the digestive track. There was a good medical journal paper discussing this about a month ago.

i always thought that it used to create enzymes for digesting raw meat, a dying relic hailing from prehistory.

but that makes sense, too.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #7624858 - 11/12/07 08:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: Seuss]
    #7624871 - 11/12/07 09:02 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Wow thanx:grin:

Quite interesting. seems rather than "use or lose" its "use or adapt it so can be used in another way"

man, the human body certainly is a wonder, eh?

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

Edited by nobhdy (11/12/07 09:06 AM)

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: trendal]
    #7624925 - 11/12/07 09:29 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to spread a myth like this :rolleyes:

It is a myth that people only use 10% of their brains, or only use 10% "at a time".

For proof, should you need it, try and find me one scientific journal or article where it says this is true.

There aren't any.

This one pisses me off too.

If we only used 10% of our brains we would only be able to breath (ie: a vegetable). And thats only if you were using the hindbrain, otherwise you'd be dead.

Offlinea_guy_named_ai
Stranger
Male
    #7625261 - 11/12/07 11:19 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

What do you mean they just found out? They've known the appendix has had a use for years.

Quote:

Evidence of function

Today, the appendix is recognized as a highly specialized organ with a rich blood supply. This is not what we would expect from a degenerate, useless structure.

The appendix contains a high concentration of lymphoid follicles. These are highly specialized structures which are a part of the immune system. The clue to the appendix’s function is found in its strategic position right where the small bowel meets the large bowel or colon. The colon is loaded with bacteria which are useful there, but which must be kept away from other areas such as the small bowel and the bloodstream.

Through the cells in these lymphoid follicles, and the antibodies they make (see box below), the appendix is ‘involved in the control of which essential bacteria come to reside in the caecum and colon in neonatal life’.6 Like the very important thymus gland in our chest, it is likely that the appendix plays its major role in early childhood. It is also probably involved in helping the body recognize early in life that certain foodstuffs, bacterially derived substances, and even some of the body’s own gut enzymes, need to be tolerated and not seen as ‘foreign’ substances needing attack.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v20/i1/appendix.asp

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I want to talk to a brain scientists becuase i use 100% of my brain [Re: a_guy_named_ai]
    #7625288 - 11/12/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

> What do you mean they just found out?

Poor choice of words.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #7626660 - 11/12/07 04:37 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Depends upon what time scale is being used....  :wink:

:tongue:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder