Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Bill to cut Funding to College Students
    #7621240 - 11/11/07 08:18 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Democrats: Colleges must police copyright, or else:

New federal legislation says universities must agree to provide not just deterrents but also "alternatives" to peer-to-peer piracy, such as paying monthly subscription fees to the music industry for their students, on penalty of losing all financial aid for their students.

The U.S. House of Representatives bill (PDF), which was introduced late Friday by top Democratic politicians, could give the movie and music industries a new revenue stream by pressuring schools into signing up for monthly subscription services such as Ruckus and Napster. Ruckus is advertising-supported, and Napster charges a monthly fee per student.

The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) applauded the proposal, which is embedded in a 747-page spending and financial aid bill. "We very much support the language in the bill, which requires universities to provide evidence that they have a plan for implementing a technology to address illegal file sharing," said Angela Martinez, a spokeswoman for the MPAA.

According to the bill, if universities did not agree to test "technology-based deterrents to prevent such illegal activity," all of their students--even ones who don't own a computer--would lose federal financial aid.

The prospect of losing a combined total of nearly $100 billion a year in federal financial aid, coupled with the possibility of overzealous copyright-bots limiting the sharing of legitimate content, has alarmed university officials.

"Such an extraordinarily inappropriate and punitive outcome would result in all students on that campus losing their federal financial aid--including Pell grants and student loans that are essential to their ability to attend college, advance their education, and acquire the skills necessary to compete in the 21st-century economy," a letter from university officials to Congress written on Wednesday said. "Lower-income students, those most in need of federal financial aid, would be harmed most under the entertainment industry's proposal."

The letter was signed by the chancellor of the University of Maryland system, the president of Stanford University, the general counsel of Yale University, and the president of Penn State.

They stress that the "higher education community recognizes the seriousness of the problem of illegal peer-to-peer file sharing and has long been committed to working with the entertainment industry to find a workable solution to the problem." In addition, the letter says that colleges and universities are responsible for "only a small fraction of illegal file sharing."

The MPAA says the university presidents are overreacting. An MPAA representative sent CNET News.com a list of campuses that have begun filtering files transferred on their networks, including the University of Florida (Red Lambda technology); the University of Utah (network monitoring and Audible Magic); and Ohio's Wittenberg University (Audible Magic).

For each school taking such steps, the MPAA says, copyright complaints dramatically decreased, in some cases going from 50 a month to none.

http://www.news.com/Democrats-Colleges-must-police-copyright%2C-or-else/2100-1028_3-6217943.html?tag=nefd.lede

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: TheCow]
    #7621324 - 11/11/07 09:11 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

this is fucking stupid... Why should college students have to pay for this shit? Civil liability and DMCA provisions allready curtail file sharing and provide a financial disencentive for universities to allow sharring.

The government should not be in the buisness of singleing out certain industries and institutions for special treatment. The law should exist , and parties may privatly prosecute infractions w/ their own money.

Offlineconfusion
ProfessionalNovice
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: johnm214]
    #7621543 - 11/11/07 10:37 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Isn't it enough to just limit downloading? Keep students from downloading, and they will find their own alternative. No reason for college to have to pay for students habits.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #7621560 - 11/11/07 10:41 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

rip out the dorm networks.

anyone can run their comp on a wireless card now.

that or the colleges can just get out of the mini ISP business altogether.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: afoaf]
    #7621604 - 11/11/07 10:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Good idea. They should just let us use internet from the phone and cable companies. The network administrators suck at my school anyways. Well schools should still keep free wifi but let the students use their own ethernet.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

InvisibleLucidDream
Hungry BlueFiend
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet of the Stupid Peop...
    #7621744 - 11/11/07 11:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The bribery is right out in the open these days. If I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd look to see how much money these fucks are getting from the recording industry.

And Harry Reid is as useless as tits on a bull. An idiot, a sellout and a feckless POS.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7622456 - 11/11/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

So either college students have to start paying for music or the entire American economy collapses because suddenly we don't have trained professionals graduating from institutions of higher learning? This is why I steal from you entertainment industry, because you don't deserve a fucking cent

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #7629377 - 11/13/07 08:45 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
So either college students have to start paying for music or the entire American economy collapses because suddenly we don't have trained professionals graduating from institutions of higher learning? This is why I steal from you entertainment industry, because you don't deserve a fucking cent

actually in a sense artists do deserve the money. Art/entertainment is a service. It costs money (lots of it) and time (lots of it) and that has to be reimbursed somewhere along the line, or artists will simply stop doing it because they can't afford to feed themselves. Obviously I am not talking about your Tommy Lees, and Ozzy Osbournes, more so the struggling artists who can't make a real change in the industry because they can't even squeak by monetarily.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: Syle]
    #7629863 - 11/13/07 11:08 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

artists always deserve to be compensated for their work.

a lot of this looks and smells like the death knell of the major labels.

a band can promote and distribute their content almost autonomously these
days through home studios and digital media...maybe all this hemming and
hawing will drive artists away from the major labels and toward a different
mode of doing business.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: Syle]
    #7630694 - 11/13/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't say the artists didn't deserve money, I said that the labels don't deserve money. I'm all for supporting artists, not talantless fucks who want to take away my college money :crankey:

--------------------

LAGM2024

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #7630823 - 11/13/07 02:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

"...such as paying monthly subscription fees to the music industry for their students, on penalty of losing all financial aid for their students."

I LOVE IT!

WELCOME TO THE PARTY!

The colleges will put it on every students bill, whether they use the service or not!

Typical democrat proposal, the honest students are forced to subsidize the activities of the dishonest ones...

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (11/13/07 02:19 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #7631189 - 11/13/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
I didn't say the artists didn't deserve money, I said that the labels don't deserve money. I'm all for supporting artists, not talantless fucks who want to take away my college money :crankey:

Do without.  Radio is still free.  If that's all you can afford then that's all you can afford.

When I was in college everything was vinyl.  There was a student record store on campus that paid no rent.  The record store across the street sued to have it shut down because of unfair competition.  They won.  Rightfully so.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7631254 - 11/13/07 04:01 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

Gastronomicus said:

Do without.  Radio is still free.  If that's all you can afford then that's all you can afford.

When I was in college everything was vinyl.  There was a student record store on campus that paid no rent.  The record store across the street sued to have it shut down because of unfair competition.  They won.  Rightfully so.

that makes no sense, why is that rightfully so?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Bill to cut Funding to College Students [Re: johnm214]
    #7631327 - 11/13/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Because they were competing unfairly against a state subsidized entity

--------------------

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7632481 - 11/13/07 08:14 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Or I could just listen to the music and support the artists via going to shows. I don't have an objection to paying for music, I have an objection to the concept of mandating it; especially when the cost of non-compliance is funding for my education

--------------------

LAGM2024

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#7634074 - 11/14/07 08:32 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

How about food? Do you object to paying for that? Or rent? Or your skateboard? Computer? Internet access?

--------------------

Invisiblewps
Well-PaidScientist
Male

#7634839 - 11/14/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

doesn't this same bill have language in it that would restore financial aid to those that have drug convictions on their record? Or is that a different one?

SSDP sent me an email saying they were about to vote on such a bill... I say if these two bills are one and the same, restoring aid to drug offenders would be well worth the file sharing thing...

--------------------
"America touts itself as the land of the free, but the number one freedom that you and I have is the freedom to enter into a subservient role in the workplace. Once you exercise this freedom you've lost all control over what you do, what is produced, and how it is produced. And in the end, the product doesn't belong to you. The only way you can avoid bosses and jobs is if you don't care about making a living. Which leads to the second freedom: the freedom to starve."

- Tom Morello

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7642946 - 11/16/07 03:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

No.

--------------------

LAGM2024

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#7642978 - 11/16/07 04:36 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
I don't have an objection to paying for music

Also, reading helps

--------------------

LAGM2024

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7643007 - 11/16/07 05:16 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
Quote:

Gastronomicus said:
I don't have an objection to paying for music

Also, reading helps

He made a valid point. You said you don't mind paying for it, but you don't like them to force you to do so.

Why shouldn't you be force to pay for it? You received the benefits of the product, so isn't it reasonable to expect compensation from you?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale