Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLi Fei
Stranger
Questions about a dormant crop
    #7611234 - 11/08/07 03:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hello Shroomery, this is my first posting here.

I've been working on my second attempt at growing fungi - I nursed a handful of jars that came to be jam-packed with mycelium, and then I emptied it all out into trays, cased it, and they're now sitting in a bin.

But it's now been over a whole week and there's no sign of growth. No mycelium spreading, nothing. Looks exactly the same as when I laid it all down. I am almost certain that it's a temperature problem - I've kept the heating in the room above 70, but I'm thinking that the cold snaps that my area has been going through has had enough effect to halt the growth (my first attempt was in the summer, and everything worked beautifully). I've now installed an aquarium heater in the bin, as I perhaps should have done in the first place, to control the heating issue even further. But what I'm wondering is, is it too late? Is it more likely that the mycelium has just been shocked by the cold snaps and is just dormant, or could it actually just be dead? I've still a couple more jars of mycelium waiting in the wings, but I would like to know whether these dormant cased trays of mine still have any hope for them.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinec0_hush
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Questions about a dormant crop [Re: Li Fei]
    #7611726 - 11/08/07 05:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Is it getting enough indirect light @ 12 hours and humidity @~95%? Steady temp @ low 70's; does the tub have holes for FEA and/or are you fanning a few times a day to dissipate the co2 buildup that sinks on the bottom?

These are things I'm putting on my checklist as I get ready to grow my own batch pretty soon...

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Questions about a dormant crop [Re: c0_hush]
    #7611819 - 11/08/07 05:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They don't get shocked into dormancy at 70F, or even 60F for that matter even though growth will be slow.

However, to get any kind of answer, the term 'jars' only refers to glass containers. It matters a great deal what was IN the jars the mycelium was colonizing. It also matters the casing material, pasteurization method, depth of casing, moisture content of casing, and type of covering.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineLi Fei
Stranger
Re: Questions about a dormant crop [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7613113 - 11/09/07 12:36 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mmkay, well here's the details on what else I'm using:

The mycelium was colonizing pressure-cooked parakeet seed (white millet), the casing material is a microwaved 60/40 mix of coco coir and vermiculite, and the mix was moist enough that a bit of liquid dripped out when I squeezed it. They were cased in loaf pans, and the mycelium was about a couple inches thick and the casing was about a half-inch thick or so. They were then put into a big plastic bin, and I'd been spraying the air in the bin periodically with hydrogen peroxide-laced water.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Questions about a dormant crop [Re: Li Fei]
    #7613861 - 11/09/07 08:11 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

H202 is un nessesary and could possibly kill other things in ur casing layer that is benificial to mycelium , and could give other contams a better chance at the casing layer.

h202 is only usefull to fight a cobweb infection, its no good at preventing in the long term.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation