Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineknotty
n00b
Male

Loc: DEE EFF DUB
another stupid coir question
    #7606442 - 11/07/07 01:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

for my 3rd grow i decided i was wasting a ton of time and supplies by not using a substrate. So last night i got some coir, added a gallon of hot water and then let it cool before mixing spawn. i dont have a comp at my grow place, so i couldnt check to see if i missed a step or anything..after cooling i just mixed it in 1/4 ratio. i checked a coir tek this morming and it says to squeeze the water out of the coir before mixing.. which i didnt do. is this going to be a probem?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: knotty]
    #7606460 - 11/07/07 01:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

• too wet and the mycelium cannot colonize it
  • unpasteurized it can/will contaminate quickly
  • common "too wet" contaminates are bacterial and smell like ass...

let your nose be your guide...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineButterWeasels
Forum Lurker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Saskatchewan
    #7606469 - 11/07/07 01:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

only if u added too much or not enough water. you squeeze it to check its moisture level. I did up some coir yesterday and didn't squeeze I'm sure yours will be fine as long as you pasteurized it.

--------------------
-==Classic Cakes Log==-

Offlineknotty
n00b
Male

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: ButterWeasels]
    #7606491 - 11/07/07 01:19 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i heated the h20 to 170 then put it in the coir, i used 1gal for 1 brick. i noticed the coir was a little darker than i wnted but i figures it was ok. i just did it last night...should i go and squeeze some water out just to be safe, or just leave it alone??

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
    #7606520 - 11/07/07 01:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

RR recommends using a half gallon of water per brick and then dunking after it's fully colonized. He says that it will colonize faster and you won't have to worry about too much moisture.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

Offlineknotty
n00b
Male

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: trippindad82]
    #7606577 - 11/07/07 01:39 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

ok so should i go and squeeze out some water? i mean its beary been 12 hrs since i did it.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: trippindad82]
    #7606759 - 11/07/07 02:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

trippindad82 said:
RR recommends using a half gallon of water per brick and then dunking after it's fully colonized. He says that it will colonize faster and you won't have to worry about too much moisture.

Personally, I recommend taking that a little further...

I expand my coir using nearly boiling water - simply because it's faster and for no other reason - pouring it in slowly and stopping to mix it in thoroughly so as to use the least amount of water possible to hydrate the coir.

Using a 13 gallon "mud-mixing tub" - your local hardware store sells them for less than $5.00 USD and they make mixing up substrates so much easier than buckets - I spread out the coco-coir evenly along one side and then prop the tub up on a couple bricks so that it's angled down away from the coir. Leave that like that for 12-24 hours, draining out the water as necessary, and you'll end up with nearly dry, expanded coco-coir.

The reason I go through all that trouble is two-fold...
1. When mixing the garden gypsum (5% by volume) it is infinitely easier when the substrate is relatively dry. The wetter it is, the more easily the gypsum will clump into little balls of a "plaster" like substance and you won't be able to get a true even distribution of the gypsum in your substrate.

2. Between the 5% (by volume) of garden gypsum and the 30% (by volume again) of used coffee grounds that we're going to amend the coco-coir with we've now got an additional 35% more material that was dry. If you've set your field-capacity moisture level before you've added these amendments you're going to throw off your moisture content. Rather than doing this once and then having to tweak it at the very end, it's less work on my part just to ensure that i'm working with all dry ingredients and then hydrate them all at one time.

(I didn't include vermiculite (15-25% by volume) in that equation because it's hydrated to field capacity before it's mixed in with the coco-coir and therefore doesn't effect the moisture content of the substrate.)

You can find a pictorial (tek) on how I prepare my coco-coir in the link below within my sig...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlineknotty
n00b
Male

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: mycocurious]
    #7607182 - 11/07/07 04:30 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

thats helps. i plan on making the substrate more complex next time around. does make a lot of sense though what your saying for the future grows. but do you think it will be a problem now. but for the tubs that ive already done, do you think squeezing excess h2o out now will help at at?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7607249 - 11/07/07 04:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

at this point it's a toss-up, I don't put a lot of effort into rectifying mistakes and often let them finish themselves out to find out what would happen...

if it's sopping wet, I suppose so, but you're going to stress the hell out of the mycelium and only further increase the risk of contamination.  Do whatever you feel is best.  Could be that it's only moderately over-hydrated and will recover just fine, at an albeit slower pace.  :shrug:

Just don't know on that one...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Offlineknotty
n00b
Male

Re: another stupid coir question [Re: mycocurious]
    #7607405 - 11/07/07 05:24 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

werd thanks bro. ill just let it go and see what it does. i didnt even expect anything from the jars, and i ended up getting 2qts so i was already happy about that. ill let ya know what happends....

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7607433 - 11/07/07 05:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

perhaps provide some drainage holes in your container?
Mycellium has to put up with becoming completely saturated in nature. As long as the substrate returns to field capacity quickly, it should be fine.
And I also find that when you have a 'toss up' scenario, it can be best served as a good learning tool.

A similar thing happened to me once and I tossed a soggy saturated pan of myc/substrate into a 5 gallon bucket where it sat in the garage until it was time to take out the garbage, and when I went to dump it out, I had a full flush on the surface.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes "Life will find a way"

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation