Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecaptainbonkers
Stranger
h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS??
    #7605923 - 11/07/07 08:32 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Visited a horse stable today.  Was looking for some turds.  The place was pretty upscale so they sent me around back to talk to grandpa who takes care of the shit.  They dispose of the stable waste in 50kilo bags.  Ol' Pappy was happy enough to give one away, the challenge was fitting the damned thing in the car!

No way I need 50 kilos of the stuff so I found a quiet area to try and get some real turds sorted out of the mix.  After being in the car for a while (nighttime) that shit was hot!  When I opened the bag it was steaming like an iron. 

Was hard to get all turds, lots had already broken down into the semi-decomposed hay.  I think I may have stumbled on THE perfect spawn medium. 

First is a pic of the turds I picked out:

Like I said most of the clumps were busted up, so I also brought home around 20 kilos of this:

Can I use either of them to grow?  I've got basically an unlimited supply of the second kind.  If only solid turds can be used it will be a bit more tricky.  I don't see any reason NOT to be able to use the fluffy stuff, as it's just shit and broken down hay.  Would really appreciate some experienced opinions on that.. my house is stinking up already as I've begun the drying process.

Now onto the fun part..  Went to visit a big mush farm (in Asia).  They supply many asian countries with these spacebags:

Inside is a combination of a bunch of things.  Inside is a mixture of fermented wood chips ground from broad-leafed trees, rice chaff, wheat bran, a small amount of lime powder and water.  They're autoclaved for 8 hours @ 980C, cooled for 12hours, then inoculated with spawn.  They produce around 10000 of these bags every day and will sell them for around a buck a piece.

I got the full tour from the boss himself.  He took me into many walk in fridges, where various species were incubating at temps anywhere from 18C ~ 23C.  Seemed freakeshly cool in the rooms, but things were definitely growing.

He said that depending on species, sometimes the mycilium grows right on through the cotton plug at the top, and for others the bag is opened up.  The spawn is always placed on top of the medium, and it only grows from the top surface.  I asked him if he'd ever used poo as a substrate, in trays, allowing a much greater surface area.  He basically said that that way is a huge pain in the ass, and that after doing it for forty years this was the most effective way.  He also said that many japanese companies buy his bags (100000 at a time), as do all the other local growers, if they're not making the same bags themselves.

He had the most gigantic awesome industrial strength ultrasonic humidifier things I've ever seen.  These things pumped out fog like you wouldn't believe.  He said he could introduce me to the people who make them.  Anywhere from 200USD ~ 1000USD depending on size.  Didn't get a shot of one, but in the following pic, he had turned it on to show me, and all that mist was produced in around 5 seconds as we were walking out.

We also walked  through the rooms where they do their agar experients and incubation.  This is going to come to a shock to some, but at NO TIME during my tour did we wear masks, gloves, spray bleach or anything like that!!  We walked in on an employee inoculating some agar test tubes and I asked him about contamination and wearing a mask.. He laughed at me and told me to look around, the way they do things are obviously working!  I was a little embarrased and confused at the same time.  He said that in a room of a couple thousand spacebags, there'd usually be around 5 ~ 10 contaminated bags, mostly from flies getting in. 

Could have taken lots more pics, they had LOTS going on there, and many more wacky species of mushrooms growing. 

On my way out he have me tray (dozen) of the spacebags to try out.  He said that if they work alright I can go back and buy them in greater quantity.  All in all a great find, and a wonderful day.  It would be spectacular if I can get these bags to work.  He said it would be no problem o inoculate them with rye. 

Oh yea and plaese help me out with my poo question from above :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVegan
using the searchbutton
Male User Gallery

Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: captainbonkers]
    #7605965 - 11/07/07 08:45 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

umm sorry to tell ay this but in the second pic it lloks like you have some wood shavings in yer poo. Im guessing cedar..IMO what you have there is some grade A garden fertilizer ,,no good for mushies

dont ask me how I know:rolleyes:

should have bought the space bags!!

--------------------
I came, I saw , I came back

Offlinesublimemushhead
researcher
Male

Loc: New Mimzy Galaxy
Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: captainbonkers]
    #7605971 - 11/07/07 08:49 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

This is how i do my myco bags since I don't haqve an impulse sealer.

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#7605982 - 11/07/07 08:52 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it sounds like you've been enjoying yourself; it's amazing that you actually got to check out a mushroom factory. I've always wanted to check out a place like that. You know that a place like that is most likely doing things as efficiently as possible especially given so much experience.

As far as the horsepoo goes it sounds like you've got yourself a solid connect there. So long as it consists of organic matter such as hay, silage, poo, and other things such as this it should be fine.

Was there something special about those bags? I know that you called them spacebags but it looks like a mylar bag that has been fed through a collar of some sort and stuffed w/ cotton. That's cool if that's what it is but I'm just wondering if there's some little bit of engineering that I should be picking up on and taking note of. Little things like these can be useful and sometimes even key.

--------------------
This and all posts are the work of an imaginary character known as psilopod. Don't believe this rambling drivel, none of it's real, it's fake, it's an illusion, strictly for entertainment purposes. With that being said, enjoy.

Turning Dreams Into Reality

Offlineurayasan
Stranger

#7605987 - 11/07/07 08:53 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Those pictures are amazing, very very nice post! Always interesting to see how the industrial scale goes. Thank you

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: Vegan]
    #7605996 - 11/07/07 08:55 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'm a complete newbie but I was figuring that since mushrooms can be grown on sawdust/woodchips that having such organic matter within the substrate wouldn't matter. In some cases depending on the proportions I would actually think it might help. Now I don't know what kind of wood that would be (cedar, etc...)and whether that might effect it, but none the less I'd be willing to bet that mushrooms would grow on it.

--------------------
This and all posts are the work of an imaginary character known as psilopod. Don't believe this rambling drivel, none of it's real, it's fake, it's an illusion, strictly for entertainment purposes. With that being said, enjoy.

OfflineChi Ro
Jive Ass Turkey
Male

Loc: Right hurr!
Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: psilopod]
    #7606008 - 11/07/07 09:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'd do a small test run on a tiny bit of the poo to see if the chips are cedar or not. Cedar has anti-fungal properties that soak into whatever it's mixed with, rendering your poo useless if it is in fact cedar chips.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: Chi Ro]
    #7606051 - 11/07/07 09:24 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Go back and ask grandpa if the wood is cedar. If it is, you either have to pick it out or look for another source.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #7606058 - 11/07/07 09:27 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

that commercial operation is fucking awesome.

yos-

Offlinecaptainbonkers
Stranger
Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: Yoschie99]
    #7606132 - 11/07/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Dang I was about to curse Vegan for saying that, but there are indeed some thin wood shavings in there. I'll have to take RR's advice and talk to the old shit collector. He only speaks in some dialect I don't really know, and I everyone else there drives Benzes and seem like giving me the time of day is a huge inconvenience. Sheesh, back o the drawing board.

Psilopod the owner was surprisingly upfront. In my region they've begun to cater much more to the tourist industry, as it's a viable source of income. While he was leading me around there were many other visitors freely picking and putting into a basket whatever they wanted, in the public area of course.

I had brought a few shots of my (half-assed) experiments on my cell phone, so he opened up pretty quickly.

Their op was very tight. I could have taken more pictures but it would have just been racks and racks of the same thing. As well as many fridge rooms all at different temps. Oh yea and HUGE mountains of raw spacebag materials. He said if I wanted he'd just give me around 10kils of every ingrediant so I could play, for free! The rack of bags he gave me was also for free! Small potatoes to an operation that size.

In terms of the bags... They're called 'outer space bags', because compared to their predecessors they look quite high-tech, such that they could be used to grow in space stations. That's what the people here say anyway. No tyvek involved. Just a clear plastic bag the size of a football stuffed with the magic combination of ingrediants (THAT's where the 40 years of exp comes in), and fed through a plastic gromet type thin g on top. Drop in some spore and watch it grow. When I asked him why not jam the spawn into the middle, he said that the lower medium's function was to provide a core for hydration, not to grow mycelium.

urayasan thanks for the kind words. I was in awe the whole time I was there and I think he could tell, so that's why he flipped his skirt for me.

Chi Ro I will definitely be doing some tests. Got my fingerscrossed.

Yoschie I agree. Given all this feedback I guess I'll make another trip if those bags work out.

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#7606156 - 11/07/07 09:59 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Was this "super medium" a universal mushroom substrate or was it a strain specific type deal? If it's a universal mushroom substrate I would be interested in knowing a few more specifics about its ingredients if you happen to know them. I know you listed the ingredients but I'm talking about proportions and what not. Also, the fermented wood thing; is it fermented to soften the wood or is there some type of chemical/biological process going on there(decomposing)?

--------------------

Offlinecaptainbonkers
Stranger
Re: h/poo question AND pic of my visit to a HUGE mushroom factory! ever heard of SPACEBAGS?? [Re: psilopod]
    #7606169 - 11/07/07 10:03 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

psilopod sorry I don't have that info. Wouldn't even want to ask either, although knowing would be a great asset. Kind of like asking the iltalian restaurant for their cream sauce recipie..

They've definitely got a pungent odor, very pleasant.

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#7606210 - 11/07/07 10:13 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

That's cool man, I just figured that there was no harm in asking. Did you happen to notice whether the different types of mushrooms were grown on the same substrate?

--------------------

Offlinecaptainbonkers
Stranger
    #7606359 - 11/07/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, everything on the same substrate. The only variant was temp.

Everything from 18C ~ 23C, and at no time in the entire life cycle RH above 80!

The thing that blew me away the most was the 'open air' work spaces. No bleach, alcohol, laminar hoods, hepa filters . . . Makes a guy wonder.

OfflineAncientBeing
Local Shaman

#7606409 - 11/07/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting to note that they don't put the spawn bags in the dark to colonize.

--------------------
"If you have not love you have nothing"

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#7606430 - 11/07/07 11:09 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I've been thinking alot about that lately. Mushrooms are a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature when the conditions are right. The only thing that's different is that the world has an almost infinite number of micro-environments/climates so the numbers are in the world's favor. If we can learn to hit these ideal conditions I think that one would be able to work under such conditions as you described for the simple fact that the mycelium just dominates and thrives.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate