Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? Which one is this???
    #7594033 - 11/04/07 10:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I do not usually big deal the whole correct ID thing when it comes to this new bay area species. I consider there to be 2 main ps species in the bay, cyans and our fib/cyclone/friscosa hybrid thing. I usually lump the fibs/cyclone/friscosas together until there is some published work saying that they are different. Which I am sure they are microscopically but this isnt the point of this post.

So these cyanofibrillosa things are popping up everywhere in the bay and in sacramento. They are super adaptive.

Two seasons ago I had a buddy stop by a spot in the bay and check for mushrooms. He came back with a handfull of cyans.
Last season this area was a heavy producer, but they seemed to be fibs. This was one of the reasons we started thinking that these things were taking over.

So I cloned one and made a shit load of spawn. The mycelium on the pettri and spawn would bruise just looking at it. Which kind of kept me thinking that they were the cyanofibrillosa var san francisco.
So now this little project that I started is fruiting heavily and some of the fruits are maturing nicely for 80 degree temps. After picking a mature one today and seeing the cap and looking at all the litle ones with their lumpy caps i am starting to wonder if these are cyans and not cyanofibrillosa var san francisco. These musrooms have a pellicle which I believe cyans and fibs have but the cyanofibrillosa var san francisco do not have. So basically Curecat has me second guessing my patch by getting me interested in microscopic/macroscopic features. What do you folk think???

The so called fib var san franciso which I just may have answered my own question. The pic is just for comparison

The patch from which the clone was made

Same patch

The petri, Nothing got mixed up. 4 Sure

A mature specimen. I will let a few get overly mature to see what the cap does

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Edited by tahoe (11/04/07 02:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: tahoe]
    #7594604 - 11/04/07 01:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

great work . i´becoming interest in all this variant in the pacific North west, so they do grow in all stuff , that is cedar, ha ha ,
i hope i can grow something like that well see, if i´m lucky this winter. i always get to grow the mycelium but not enough to fruit.

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: cactu]
    #7594624 - 11/04/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

its not cedar, its doug fir
Its this stuff. People are using this instead of bark for landscaping. Its just left over doug fir from the mills that is dyed red, black, and brown. Its great news for mushrooms hunters. Sometimes you can find little chunnks of 2x4 mixed in with this stuff.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Edited by tahoe (11/04/07 01:35 PM)

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: tahoe]
    #7594629 - 11/04/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

makes sense

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: cactu]
    #7598288 - 11/05/07 12:19 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i guess I didnt ask the question correctly. What the hell is this thing???

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
    #7598515 - 11/05/07 01:22 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yeah tell me about it, we should do our own taxonomic group when we can name all the specie that are found, regardless of the patience of the great mycologist, that sometime takes year or decades to have an answer, i guess i´m not gonna live that long , we should start a new investigation club  to name all the new species out there , try to cultivate then , and show then  we can do better, is just we can´t name then  that all the difference , but i guess that have to change for good , too many new species or variant , mushrooms are evolving they don´t understand that ,when they are gona begging to use DNA to catch all the evolution, and end all those  missing link  or miss interpretation, that i guess can occur in the microscope sometimes when the collection is scarce or damage, you can´t beat DNA , but  until then we should make our guerrilla studies , and you  know what AS LONG AS YOU KEEP POST IN  I GONNA KEEP LOOKING.:rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #7598611 - 11/05/07 01:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The only way you can get an answer is to look at the microscopic features (and maybe not even then). It looks to be closely related to Psilocybe cyanescens/Cyclone complex. I doubt it is P. cyanofibrillosa.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (11/05/07 02:54 PM)

InvisibleCheezit
Feel like aStranger

#7598685 - 11/05/07 02:24 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

My buddy demolished his house, rented a tub grinder. He ground up all the pine and fir lumber. Then took subaeruginosa and spawned it. Didn't fruit the first year, second season had a couple. From what he told me it didn't get moving till the third year. The mycelium was slow compared to how it grown on fresh hardwood chips.

Offlinefaceofbear
the witch-doctorlife
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: Cheezit]
    #7599372 - 11/05/07 05:28 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

these look a lot what i've been finding next to my (small) cyanescen patch in southern california.

the bluing is very pronounced (in a very psilocybe way), but i can't bring myself to trust them.
they are definitely distinct from the cyans they grow next to, the caps do not flatten/turn wavy at all.

i will post pics when possible!

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Wolf

Edited by faceofbear (11/05/07 05:30 PM)

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: faceofbear]
    #7600033 - 11/05/07 08:00 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

they are getting bigger

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinefaceofbear
the witch-doctorlife
Male User Gallery

#7601254 - 11/06/07 01:23 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

very pretty.

i like the last one especially...they're creeping up to take over!

--------------------
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Wolf

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: faceofbear]
    #7601808 - 11/06/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

pics from this morning i do not think they are cyanescens or fibs now.

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlinemattso
Malcontent
 User Gallery

Loc: Western WA
    #7601978 - 11/06/07 10:35 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

its neato!
dunno the variety spcifics, but it sure looks like a cyanofibrilosa with a wavy-margin growth habit.
That pale margin is not something you'd see on a cyanescens, and the caps seem to want to stay hemispheric...
Sounds funny, but -
Have you eaten them? Their relative potency will tell the story of whether they're cyanescens or cyanofibrilosa... if those are the only two contenders.... (which I suspect they are)

--------------------
"Humanity is entering into a time of consequences" ---
- Winston Churchill

Offlinemattso
Malcontent
 User Gallery

Loc: Western WA
Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: mattso]
    #7601997 - 11/06/07 10:39 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

on the other hand... there is some significant Blueing going on in one of those pics....

Hmmm.

(scratching chin)

Wish I was one of those Sciency types!

--------------------
"Humanity is entering into a time of consequences" ---
- Winston Churchill

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: mattso]
    #7602147 - 11/06/07 11:15 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

The white rhizomorphs that go out in all directions from the base of the stipe are taxonomically significant.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7602156 - 11/06/07 11:17 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
The white rhizomorphs that go out in all directions from the base of the stipe are taxonomically significant.

In which way?

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlineelflord420
bringer of thedawn
Male User Gallery

Loc: washington
    #7602201 - 11/06/07 11:26 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

very interesting, good find!  :rockon:

but, you could probably safely assume that thoes are not P. Cyans...

--------------------
Dont ever eat mushrooms and watch Total Recall

Edited by elflord420 (11/06/07 11:28 AM)

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: elflord420]
    #7602346 - 11/06/07 11:57 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I see a resemblance with the supposed friscosa people have found in the bay area. with the larger size and bulbous caps. they should get a lot bigger too if they are.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7604036 - 11/06/07 06:32 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tahoe said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

In which way?

Last week I read the beginning of Guzman's 1983 monograph The Genus Psilocybe and I thought it was fascinating. Instead of trying to explain what has taxonomic value and what doesn't (its kind of arbitrary), I'll post Guzman's discussion of the issue. Its pretty interesting stuff and a good reminder of how futile it is to try to stick exact names onto something that evolves as quickly as mushrooms.

Since you are in california I bet you can get The Genus Psilocybe from link+ interlibrary loan. In a month when I return it.

The answer to your question is around the middle of the third page.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps cyanofibrillosa vs Ps Cyanescens vs Ps cyanofibrillosa var san francisco???? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7604092 - 11/06/07 06:50 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

can we get a copyright on that??

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags