Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
A Theory of Psychedelics
    #758779 - 07/19/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Theory of Psychedelics:

The Combinatorial Evolution of Human Intelligence via
Symbiotic Catalysis with Entheogenic Molecules

by David Glen Kerr

Humans descended from primates. Charles Darwin enlightened humanity as to where we came from, by proposing that evolution occurred via natural selection. Humans evolved from primate ancestors, and they from mammals, and mammals from reptiles, and so on. Plants and other vegetation, which humans symbiotically depend on for nutrition necessary to live, have been on Earth during every step of our descent. Darwin saw an abstract pattern in nature: immense biological sequences increasing in complexity over time via evolution, feeding and building off each other, leading to organisms with brains that are artistic, creative, and intelligent. Why have primates evolved into man? Our ancestors utilized molecular tools for the mind, and these catalyzed the evolution of their brains.

The greatest divergence between primate and man is the mind, not the body. The human brain is significantly bigger, better, and more complex than the primate brain. In the bodies the differences are primarily of degree; hence, it is our brains that classify our separation from other simians. The brain is made of specialized segments, which are divided into cells, neurons, axons, synapses, and other parts. These are all made of molecular structures and chemicals, founded on atoms, protons, neutrons, fermions, bosons, quarks, etc. It is on the molecular and neuronal level that we are able to turn to today to find answers about our consciousness.

As simian brains increased in spatial volume, they increased in beneficial complexity, by using the additional mass as material with which to transform. The brain was catalyzed to achieve this end, and it used catalysts found in naturally occurring materials. These substances have been termed psychoactive drugs: sugar, nicotine, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, psilocin, cannabanoids, mescaline, morphine, ibogaine, DMT, cocaine, theobromine, LSA, MAOIs, and so on. The brain?s neural network uses these chemicals to provide a physical means to modify and create new thoughts, which enhances reasoning and creativity. It is in the brain of the animal that uses these tools properly, which successfully evolved sentience. Simians were able to evolve adaptations to an environment where mushrooms and other plants around them were literal food for thought.

A conceptual expression for this theory is:

Humans = Primates + Psychedelics

The psychoactive mushroom (Amanitas, p. cubensis, et al) contains psilocybin, which the body purposely converts into psilocin to be used by the synapses in the frontal cortex. A few hours later the body removes psilocin from the blood by releasing anti-tryptamines. In this state psilocin has been termed psychedelic, which etymologically translates to ?mind-manifesting?: psyche, ?mind,? and delic, ?manifesting?. Yet the word has been deeply misused, giving the impression that the mushroom produces psychedelic experiences. It does not. The mushroom simply harbors a molecule, which does not do anything interesting per say. Psilocin is only psychedelic when the brain uses it.

The first higher order simians were born in Africa and were black. They discovered the mushroom on the ground and ate it as food, perhaps as a part of routine vegetation foraging, or perhaps they were starving since the mushroom isn?t pleasant tasting. Their synapses began receiving psilocin, causing neurons to light up like fireworks, which made their brain operate so fast that time appeared to slow down. Intense thoughts occurred, creating beautiful hallucinated visions, overwhelmed by the ecstatic feeling of worldly connection. These simians would have acted in new and bizarre ways that formed social bonding. They had thoughts so complex that they were unable to be held in memory. This behavior created selection pressure on the monkeys, causing evolution of better brains, in order to understand each other?s actions. At some point, they realized the mushroom was causing these experiences, and could regulate their dietary intake.

The serotonin (5-HT) class of synaptic receptors, which accept psilocin and other entheogens, are structures in the frontal cortex that allow us to perform higher cognitive functions. Natural selection favored production of these structures, because the more that the brain had, the better it could use psilocin. Thus the smarter it was, sober or intoxicated. Hangover effects from pure mushroom experiences are soft, especially when compared to hard drugs such as alcohol and cocaine. This is because the brain has evolved to handle psychedelics. The pineal gland, sitting in the center of every human brain, may be the producer of endogenous DMT in humans, the most potent psychedelic tryptamine known.

Mushroom and entheogenic plant consumption has gone on throughout the entire of human history, including today. These plants are not poisonous, but they contain powerful tools, and therefore are dangerous. Use the right tool for the right job! If humans eat these psychedelic plants under improper conditions, their experiences will be terrible and therefore damaging to the psyche. Fortunately, shamans throughout history have provided a proper outlet for these experiences. Humans who are otherwise ignorant to psychedelics have had a means to constructively experience conscious-expanding states.

The smartest and most successful cultures are the ones consuming the most variety of drugs, and are defined and limited, harnessed and hampered by the drugs they do and how they do them. How a drug is used is more important than the drug itself. A society?s history of drug use contributes to their society today. Caffeine and nicotine spread all over the world, as did alcohol and the wisdom to ferment it from plant fruit. The USA has a high array of drug use, including legendary LSD consumption. All these drugs are used to alter the mind in order to gain additional perspectives, new ways to think. Without them, humanity would not be as intelligent as we are today.

Drugs are making humanity smarter. We are already creating new psychedelic tools: MDMA, LSD, 2C-B, 2C-T-7, in addition to pain relievers, anti-depressants, and a long list of other pharmaceutical chemicals and medicines. The true benefits lie in consumption of varieties, not large quantities. It is in precise and responsible use, and in the realization that every drug has unique effects. Each drug has a different use and different purpose. Alcohol enhances socialization, caffeine enhances logic, cannabis enhances abstraction, psilocin enhances creativity, and so on. At the same time, every drug has downsides and negative effects, which can be minimized or eliminated through careful use.

Psychedelics change the way individuals think, and therefore the way individuals act. Their actions, words, and attitudes affect those around them. This process is how psychedelic drugs indirectly affect the minds of those who do not even ingest them or believe in their existence. Howard Bloom?s vision of a global brain provides an excellent framework in which to understand this effect. As one person changes behavior, the people in the social network adjust to adapt. The influence spirals outwards and decreases over distance.

Terrence McKenna proposed the idea of mushrooms affecting human evolution. If true, this theory predicts that when apes are fed a proper diet of mushrooms, they will become smarter. The diet must be considered carefully. It must not be force fed or given in large doses. It must be naturally eaten and not injected, and proper set and setting must be given. Behavioral changes will give rise to increased adaptive intelligence over generations, and will even cause advantage in the first generation. This kind of research has not been conducted yet.

PS. The original formula is "Man=Ape+Mushroom", or "Man=Monkey+Mushroom"

Edited by pattern (01/15/07 03:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: pattern]
    #758850 - 07/19/02 09:40 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

monkey eats shroom...monkey sees bunch of colors and shapes...monkey thinks 'what are these things!?!'..... just one thought provoking experience mushrooms could make on something

Offlineakyouser_oner
unclefuckerextrordinaire

Loc: standing in the shadows a...
Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: ]
    #758870 - 07/19/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

unfortunately, man is NOT decended from ape. they are closely related, but follow totally different evolutionary lines...

yeah, yeah... too much discovery channel i know...

--------------------
-akyouser.oner
<(((((((((((((((@~~~

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: akyouser_oner]
    #758920 - 07/19/02 10:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I assume you deem "ape" to mean "gorilla", which was not my intent.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (07/24/02 05:13 PM)

Anonymous

#758982 - 07/19/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That arguement doesn't even matter because we all know we evolved from something atleast similar to an ape, because apes are not as complex as humans are but share very similar qualities. The primitive 'ape' we evolved from probably no longer exists but if it did I'm sure we would consider it just another damn monkey.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: ]
    #760100 - 07/19/02 07:36 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Are you implying that it wasnt apes that evolved via shrooms, but a more recent ancestor?

I'm proposing it is an expontential evolution: ~8 million years ago, apes began eating a few, then their descendants ate more, and their descendants ate more, and so on, until ~50,000 years ago, shroom consumption per capita reached its peak. Human brain evolution rocketed forward!

If that is true, with the population explosion of the recent 10,000 and 100 years, it will take time for shrooms and other psychedelics to rebalance themselves in the global human diet.

JUST A THEORY !

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
my two cents [Re: pattern]
    #760626 - 07/19/02 10:41 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I've had that same theory for a lot of years now (even before I started taking shrooms) just as I'm sure about a billion other people have. What lead me to this whole theory in the first place though is (oddly enough) a show I once saw on the Discovery Channel about leapords or pumas or some shit like that. Anyways - they had mentioned something about these cats being known to eat certain psychoactive sages in order to increase the amount of light they recieved (pupil dialation) so that they could see prey easier in the night. I thought it was kind of odd that humans weren't the only ones using psychedelics, and that got me thinking about whether or not early man did the same thing. So I did some looking into it and found out that the eating patterns of early human beings (or more specifically whatever the fuck we were called before we became 'according to hoyal' human beings) differed greatly from similar ape-like species from the same time period. Apparently there was a large number of pre-human type apes running around in jungles eating plants and fruits and shit, and there was another group of slightly different pre-human type apes that were much more omnivorous. The omnivorous ones eventually spread out from the jungles and evolved into early man, and the others stayed behind and evolved into gorrilas and chimps and what have you.

Now, obviously the change in diet wasn't what caused the separation of the species, that was a result of something else. What 'else' that specifically is is highly debatable.....but considering the fact that proof exists that psychedelics can assist in hunting, I'd say it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume that these omnivorous apes were doing exactly that (e.g. psychedelics = incresed pupil dialation = more light reaches back of eye = easier to hunt prey at night when most animals are more vulnerable = less dependence on jungle habitat = increased exploration into new terrain types/territories = forced intellectual advancement to cope with new terrain = and so on and so on) I suppose the only real question left would be whether or not these early pre-human ape-like ancestor thing-a-ma-schmucks consciously knew what the hell they were doing when they first initially started learning about the helpful nature of psychoactive plants. My guess would be probably not. I would assume that many of them most likely stumbled upon sage (or something else of that nature) and had some mild trips without even realizing it...or in the very least, not have made the correlation between their increased senses and some unknown plant they had eaten earlier. Mushrooms, on the other hand, are easily recognizable (in the sense that they are not plants) and quite probably more potent in smaller doses. So I would imagine that if one of these 'apes' were to see a patch of mushrooms lying around and then start trippin out after eating em, it wouldn't be too difficult for that particular ape to realize exactly what it was that made him trip so damn hard (especially if it was the first time he had ever eaten any kind of mushroom species) Chances are he wouldn't be using em for hunting or anything else like that right away though, but rather enjoying the experience and wondering what it all meant. Sooner or later he'd figure out exactly what to look for and would be using them as often as possible...this of course would lead to the inevitable discovery that these magikal little shroomies are not only fun but also helpful as well. He'd tell his friends and family about em (and would naturally be looked down upon as a druggie) but would eventually find a few others that were curious enough to try em as well...and this of course leads straight to the greatest discovery of all time - the lava lamp.

Wait a minute
Forget everything I just said...I was way off on a tangent there.
(I guess I got a bit carried away, huh?)

Anyways -
The point is that if apes were to eat psychedelic shrooms and see visions and what not, they'd likely try to recreate the event out of pure curiousity. Sooner or later they'd realize that the shrooms were the cause of these visions and they'd start seeking them out specifically. Over time they'd get a better understanding of the shroom itself and learn about it's usefulness. This would then lead to everything previously mentioned before I got amtracked. So in essence, mankind's seperation from the greater ape family could very well have been a direct result of an ancient species of a very well known (and loved) species of fungus...even if the exact nature of this mankind/mushroon relationship was accidental.

Disclaimer: I'm tired as fuck right now and most likely speaking out of my ass. Take everything I've written in this post as nothing more then psycho-babble produced from severe sleep deprivation. I appologize in advance if it is incoherent, illegible, missplelled, mispunctuated, and/or incomprehensible in any way shape or form.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: my two cents [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #760634 - 07/19/02 10:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If I had to hunt or was being hunted, I would want to be stone cold sober. The negative side-effects of a mushroom intoxication (as relates to extreme physical exertion) far outweigh the increased night vision. This fact alone tends to destroy that whole myth.

As always, I would put money on this as it can be fairly easily tested.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
hhmmm... [Re: Swami]
    #760721 - 07/20/02 12:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps you overlooked this one little detail:
I was trying to point out that shrooms were most likely not used for hunting purposes from the start, but rather early man was drawn to psychedelic shrooms for a different reason and that only after they became more aware of it's usefulness (in small doses) did they start using them for hunting.

You are right about them having negative side-effects though, and I agree that the physical assertion (as well as distortion of reality and other such trademarks of a shroom trip) would in fact become more of a hindrance then an aid...but I also believe that in smaller doses the side-effects would not only be marginal in the sense that they would not effect hunting performance enough to outway the added light being made availible to the beshroomed individual, but also possibly even prove to be helpful in the sense that low doses usually result in a somewhat more alert state of being. As long as these early pre-human apes could learn enough to know when to stop before they took too much, they'd be able to use these shrooms (as well as any other psychedelic plants they might happened to learn about along the way) to better their situation as a whole.

Of course (as I said earlier) this is just a theory of mine...and if you choose to believe I'm full of crap, so be it. I'm basically just responding because I'm thinking I might not have been as clear as I had originally thought I was. I guess I just assumed that most people would realize that large doses would just fuck with a primate's mind, and that they'd have to learn proper dosage before it could become utilized as a constructive tool. But you know what they say about assumptions.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: hhmmm... [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #760725 - 07/20/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The main trouble with a theory like this, is that there is precious little to back it up. It is almost pure conjecture so the discussion cannot go very far. It is a fun idea to play with, but that is about it.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: hhmmm... [Re: Swami]
    #760929 - 07/20/02 04:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The main trouble with a theory like this, is that there is precious little to back it up.

If you only acknowledge the theories that have a large amount of info to back them up then think of everything you're not acknowledging. We don't nearly know everything so when we get something with 'precioues little' backing it up, it should not be ignored.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: hhmmm... [Re: ]
    #761133 - 07/20/02 05:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for these great replies!!!

Mushrooms for hunting! I see why you propose this, and it probably did happen.

Do you think it's possible that they ate the mushrooms BEFORE they went hunting? I mean, after a good trip, you can feel very energetic and alive. That seems the best time to hunt. Perhaps they developed a shamanic ritual for this purpose: shaman distributes shrooms, they get all pumped up and trip out, dance around and pump each other up, and then after the drug wears off the warriors run off to hunt.

Swami: it is only conjecture, but if it is true, or false, then there will be evidence in reality to prove it either way. The problem with theories is they are ahead of evidence; the evidence comes later. IMO, DNA comparisons prove the theory of evolution. A scientific understanding of the brain will reveal the validity of this theory.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Offlineerectronik

Loc: zeitung unter den See
    #761205 - 07/20/02 06:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'd have to say I'm more interested in how already evolved human cultures were affected by their drug use ("how" and not "which") than whether or not shrooms did in fact spur our upward climb. Interesting and inspiring, dude.

--------------------
"Hallucinogens can be like talking to a really talented salesman: beware of what you can sell yourself." - J.L.C.

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Loc: look into a child's eyes,...
Re: hhmmm... [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #764281 - 07/21/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

awesome thread. (bump)

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineAcursedRedDragon
Legacy ofBrutality
Loc: Opium Den
    #767879 - 07/22/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

were u shrooming when u thought of this? thats what it sounds like....

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: AcursedRedDragon]
    #768392 - 07/22/02 04:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I wasnt shrooming at the time! I went on three trips in a period of a week, and in the following six months I created this theory to explain my trips.

I believe that the effects that the shrooms had on my brain made me smarter, and that same effect has happened to others. How can this be? Why would a bunch of molecules make a human smarter? This theory is the best reason I can think of to explain it.

But I could be wrong!!! Maybe the shrooms made me dumber and I cant tell cuz I turned into an idiot

What do you guys think? Is this theory possibly true??

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (07/29/03 01:49 AM)

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#768780 - 07/22/02 06:57 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dude this theory is like an improvement on timothy leary. seriously. i've sent it to every body in my address book.
bravo

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

#768817 - 07/22/02 07:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

one thing though. psycedelic doesn't mean mind enlargening. it means mind manifesting.
psychephoric, mind moving; psychehormic, mind rousing; and psycheplastic, mind molding. Psychezynic, mind fermenting, is indeed appropriate. Psycherhexic, mind bursting forth, though difficult, is memorable. Psychelytic, mind releasing, is satisfactory. My choice, because it is clear, euphonious, and uncontaminated by other associations, is psychedelic, mind manifesting. One of these terms should serve. (the psychedelic library www.druglibrary.org) just uh....fyi.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

OfflineGanja_Farmer
Stranger
Loc: Maryland
Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: whiterastahippie]
    #768883 - 07/22/02 07:35 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In canada it is illegal to sweat lemonade and pile velcro at the same time.

--------------------

Offlinewhiterastahippie
lover

Re: A Theory of Psychedelics [Re: Ganja_Farmer]
    #768957 - 07/22/02 07:56 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dude. um. wow, that's cool. i like your pic too. peace man.

--------------------
Peace and Love to all!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale