Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery

Saul Williams goes the way of Radiohead.
    #7583048 - 11/01/07 08:41 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It seems that other people are now going over the heads of the RIAA and giving the fans a choice whether to pay for the album or not. This is fucking awesome. I guess some artists are fed up with being taken advantage of by the recording industry, good for them. :rockon:

Quote:

Over the past few weeks, Nine Inch Nails mastermind Trent Reznor announced that he is done with the major label game after fulfilling his Interscope contract, and his cohort Saul Williams revealed that his new record (produced by Reznor) would be availably digitally for free or for $5. Now Reznor has spoken to CNet about this major sea change in music distribution.

"Personally, I would like people to support artists," Reznor said. "After all, we as artists dedicate our lives to producing the best music we can. It's been a painful process for me personally [to see the changes in the music industry]. But should I be angry at the audience that wants to hear music so much, an audience that is so passionate about hearing it they go online to get it two weeks before the music debuts? No, I want them to be that way."

Williams' album, The Inevitable Rise and Liberation Of NiggyTardust, is being released digitally for free, or for $5, fans can acquire the record in a higher quality file format. The concept is similar to Radiohead's recent release of In Rainbows, where consumers chose the price they wanted to pay.

"Radiohead is one of my favorite bands," Reznor told CNet. "When they announced they were releasing that album for free, I got dozens of text messages. It gave me goose bumps. It's such an exciting way to sell a record." However, he adds that the British band "has a built-in audience and they have the luxury of being able to experiment with a new distribution model. I think there were some serious flaws with how they executed but it was a good idea." For smaller acts, Reznor wonders how marketing, sales, promotion and other tasks will be carried out, since most artists are not equipped to handle them alone. Musicane will oversee such aspects of Williams' digital release.

Reznor concludes that he doesn't know what the future will bring with all these new business models. "I don't know what model is going to work. I do know relationships between music labels and artists like myself aren't going well. These days when digital elements come into play, labels have dealt with them generally poorly. It has gotten to a place where it couldn't be worse. Their treatment of artists has less sympathy and it's more like 'What can we get out of you?' My only concern has always been that my audience is treated fairly."

http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=504003

Download the album here: http://niggytardust.com/

---

This isn't very surprising at all considering the comments Trent Reznor has been making as of late regarding his stance on file sharing. He himself was a member of OiNK. Things are getting awful interesting in the recording industry.

Quote:

Following the bust of the OiNK BitTorrent tracker, most of its 180,000 members are keeping their heads down and trying to stay inconspicuous. However, Trent Reznor, frontman of Nine Inch Nails isn’t worried: “I had an account there” he said. “it was like the world’s greatest record store.”

The driving force behind the Nine Inch Nails isn’t frightened of talking about file-sharing. Back in May 2007 he admitted to sharing himself: “I steal music too, I’m not gonna say I don’t” he said.

Now Trent has gone public and admitted where he did a lot of sharing - OiNK.

In an interview with New York Entertainment he sent his clearest pro-sharing stance yet. When asked what he thought about OiNK being shutdown, he had this to say:

“I’ll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world’s greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted.”

Everyone knows that OiNK was free to use and this fact was backed up by Trent: “If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn’t the equivalent of that in the retail space right now.”

Leveling criticism at professionals who are failing to make a better job of music distribution than OiNK and failing to create a brand which people like to be associated with, Trent explained: “iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don’t feel cool when I go there. I’m tired of seeing John Mayer’s face pop up. I feel like I’m being hustled when I visit there, and I don’t think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc.”

Trent says he prefers Amazon to iTunes but says none of them address the issue of pre-release leaks, calling it a ‘difficult puzzle’. “If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it?”

The quality uploaders at OiNK get a mention too: “People on those boards, they’re grateful for the person that uploaded it — they’re the hero. They’re not stealing it because they’re going to make money off of it; they’re stealing it because they love the band.”

Underlining the fact that sometimes people pirate because they aren’t getting what they want from the music labels, Trent finishes up: “I’m not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.”

And what people seem to want is OiNK replacement sites - and that’s what they seem to be getting.

Need any invites Trent?

http://torrentfreak.com/nine-inch-nails-frontman-was-a-member-of-oink-071031/

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (11/01/07 08:55 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Saul Williams goes the way of Radiohead. [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #7583110 - 11/01/07 09:25 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Sweet... I hope it's better than Amethyst Rock Star, though... :\

Also, in the same vein, Collective Soul's latest album is available only through iTunes and Target. Rather than working with the RIAA, they've opted to risk limiting sales and form direct relationships with specific vendors.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #7583111 - 11/01/07 09:28 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Kudos Trent!!! :smile:

I thought Radiohead's idea might catch on...but I had no idea it would be this quick!

FUCK THE RECORD MAN!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery

Re: Saul Williams goes the way of Radiohead. [Re: trendal]
    #7583152 - 11/01/07 10:04 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You guys will probably enjoy this as well from a concert a couple months ago:

"Well you know what that means.. Steal it. Steal, steal, and steal some more."

:rockon:

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #7583158 - 11/01/07 10:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome! :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#7583328 - 11/01/07 11:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i have been listening to it this morning. Some of the songs are pure gold, but some just dont hit me right. I gotta sya, though, the NIN feel behind Saul is a nice fit. once you get through the first few songs, the album really opens up.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineUlcerPentacidis
psilophile

Re: Saul Williams goes the way of Radiohead. [Re: automan]
    #7583470 - 11/01/07 12:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

DNA BABY!

THAT SHIT IS ALL CAPS AL THE WAY!

--------------------
µgrammar

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Saul Williams goes the way of Radiohead. [Re: UlcerPentacidis]
    #7583472 - 11/01/07 12:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

actually stuck mojo did this first but meh.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Community >> The Pub