Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
legal status of kava in canada... wtf??
    #7548259 - 10/22/07 06:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I just tried ordering some kava products from IAS, and apparently it's illegeal here in canada... I think they made the law in 2002?, yet I recently bought some off a different company without a problem, wtf?... Does it maybe have something to do with the company that sold it to me being based in canada or something?...:shrug:

That sucks, I really enjoyed that stuff.

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: legal status of kava in canada... wtf?? [Re: LuSiD9]
    #7548361 - 10/22/07 07:01 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

KAVA BAN (Canada)

In August 2002 Health Canada issued a stop-sale order for kava (Piper methysticum) products in Canada. Citing a handful of reports of liver damage associated with prolonged kava use, the Canadian regulatory agency decided to remove all kava-containing products, including the raw herb, from the Canadian market.

To many the claim that kava causes liver damage does not square with the fact that kava has been in use for centuries as a traditional ceremonial beverage in the South Pacific Islands. The typical quantities consumed in the South Pacific far exceed normal doses of kava products sold in Canadian stores before the ban. If kava were damaging to the liver then it stands to reason to expect that evidence of liver damage would be widespread in the South Pacific were kava is consumed; but no evidence of unusual rates of liver damage where kava is traditionally used has surfaced.

Why kava products suddenly became suspect as a liver toxin is a matter of speculation. Some argue that the manufactured products are concentrated in a manner that differs greatly from the traditional practice. Commercial kava products are extracted using organic solvents such as benzene, while the traditional extraction involves a process of oral mastication and fermentation in water.

The aim of manufacturers is to maximize the kavalactones content in their products because kavalactones are presumed to be the active constituents in kava. But the use of a completely different solvent in the manufacture of kava products carries the risk that other active compounds besides kavalactones are either excluded or included, thereby changing the fundamental properties of the extract. Little is known about this effect and its possible role in reported cases of liver damage associated with kava use.

University of Hawaii researchers think that a substance found in stem peelings and leaves may be the culprit. The stem peelings and leaves contain an alkaloid called pipermethystine which is not found in the roots traditionally used in the Pacific. Tests show that pipermethystine causes a "strong negative effect" on liver cell cultures. According to an April 2003 report in The Honolulu Advertiser, stem peelings are a waste product normally discarded by users in the Pacific. However the peelings were found to contain high levels of kavalactones and pharmaceutical companies eagerly bought them from traders. But even if the UH researchers are right, it could take years and millions of dollars before kava is accepted as safe by the regulatory authorities.

Even with the use of manufactured kava products the risk of liver damage may actually be far less than that of other commonly ingested compounds. The Canadian Health Food Association (CHFA) has pointed out that acetaminophen, the widely consumed analgesic found in over-the-counter drugs such as Advil and Tylenol, is also damaging to the liver. As the CHFA says in its March 2003 release, there are over 200 deaths in the United States each year from acute liver failure associated with acetaminophen overdose. Yet, Health Canada has chosen only to issue an advisory on acetaminophen use, while its ban of kava is far more harsh. So far only a potential risk of liver damage has been associated with kava use, and although three deaths worldwide have been linked to kava use, those deaths were not proven to have been caused by kava.

The CHFA argues that any risk of kava use should be managed the same way that acetaminophen use is managed: by appropriate labelling so consumers can make an informed choice about the use of kava. The CHFA goes on to suggest that alcohol and even grapefruit are more damaging to the liver than kava may be; yet these products remain on the market. Because alcohol and grapefruit consumption is so widespread Health Canada's ban is out of proportion to the greater overall risk that these products present to the public.

Health Canada's ban of kava means that a valuable herb clinically proven to provide short-term relief from anxiety and depression is now unavailable to professional herbalists and to the public. Herbalists believe that, at the very least, the raw herb, unaltered by any manufacturing process, should be remain on the market.

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=Issues/issues.html&cart_id=778875.25722

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: legal status of kava in canada... wtf?? [Re: LuSiD9]
    #7549085 - 10/22/07 09:14 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

wow... weird.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: legal status of kava in canada... wtf?? [Re: Locus]
    #7552435 - 10/23/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Odd to see the Canadians behind the US on things like this. The US reacted similarly, except research has been completed that has debunked the concerns enough to have the US ban lifted.

I'll find sources later if you like, but I've got a half-pound in my cupboard less than a month old.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Re: legal status of kava in canada... wtf?? [Re: toastandjam]
    #7579086 - 10/31/07 12:17 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

toastandjam said:

I'll find sources later if you like, but I've got a half-pound in my cupboard less than a month old.

hmmm, you should pm me

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates