Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefuhkengroovin
New Old Guy
Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID
    #7578451 - 10/30/07 09:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Good Evening,

I have looked for a site like this for a long time. I hope someone can help me because I am very confused. I tried the spores thing, but I guess I just don't get it because I didn't see anything on that white piece of paper?

I've lived between Bellingham and Everett most of my adult life, so I have seen a lot of mushrooms. I went to college in B'ham and in the late 70's mushroom hunting was quite a pasttime. I was never a very successful hunter, but I did have the good fortune to be given a few dried out ones and obviously at that point, it's difficult to distinguish what they looked like before they have dried into the tiniest of blackish dots with threads hanging off them.

I have lived in the same house since the early 80's. I'm on 1.25 acres of land about 12 miles inland from Puget Sound and at about 200' of altitude. My property has tons of alders, firs, hemlocks and the cedars. About 1/4 of the property is in grass that is surrounded by trees on 3 sides. It's not a clearcut, but the loggers came through about 50 years ago and took all the big cedars. I am not crazy about the alders (they die too quickly), but I love the conifers.

Every year, about this time of year, the cinnamon colored mushrooms come out. They are a darker brown near the nipple and fade to a lighter color near the edges. They are always cone shaped when mature, but when they are tiny (< 1" tall) they are less conical and more rounded. When they are mature, they are still only about 2.5" tall with the tops no larger than the average person's thumbnail - usually much smaller because I pick them all no matter what phase of growth they are in! As they mature they definitely have a striated appearance as you move further away from the center. The stems are very white, the gills are very proportionally spaced and are the color of mocha shake.

They "appear" no earlier than late September, and then very infrequently. Then in mid to late October, there are hundreds of them in my yard. The grass is not fertilized too often and, unfortunately, with all the trees, there is a good deal of moss mixed in with the grass. I find them in loose groupings, between 1 and 5 inches apart, always in the same places in the yard and 20 feet away there won't be a one. Seem to grow best in mossy patches, but can be seen just amongst the grass. Often the patches are best near where the yard transitions into the woods. After the first hard frost, they are gone for good. Rarely, very rarely, I will see a few in the spring as we move between spring and summer.

The confusing part is that I don't detect this "bluing" behavior that supposedly all the active ones share. They are always moist when I pick them, but not necessarily viscous as the pictures seem to indicate. The pictures also tend to show this strain of mushroom growing in tight bunches, but as I stated, mine are found in loose clumps as though someone had tossed little mushrooms seeds out in handfuls in different directions. When I look at the pictures here and elsewhere, I somtimes am absolutely convinced that they must be Psilocybe pelliculosa and other times I am convinced they are not.

Of course, being somewhat reckless, I have eaten a few of them over the years. Sometimes while I'm picking them (disposing of the evidence I guess you would say) and they have a very pleasant nutty like flavor. Nice texture - sort of melt in your mouth. I've also eaten them dried after a few months of leaving them in a loose fitting box. In the latter case, I have eaten maybe 8 to 10, in the former usually around 2 to 4. I don't know if they're doing anything because I am sort of scared to eat many more until I know for sure. I am pretty sure though that there is something of a kick to them - I always have lots of extra energy and my mind is racing. On the other hand, maybe it's the placebo affect?

I know it's hard without pictures, but could it be that they are some kind of a lookalike that is non toxic but not necessarily active? If they are active, I guess the proper dosage would be about 40 of them?

--------------------
I'm not a Gynecologist, but I'll take a look!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: fuhkengroovin]
    #7578709 - 10/30/07 10:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like a Conocybe.

What color is the spore print?

Please post some pictures of them.

It could also be Panaeolus foenisecii or something else.

Please don't eat any more until we figure out what they are. They might kill you if you eat 40 at once.

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
    #7578745 - 10/30/07 10:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Don't eat them. They very well could be lawn conocybes, which could poison you. Picture and a spore would help alot.

Offlinefuhkengroovin
New Old Guy

#7579695 - 10/31/07 08:03 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a few pictures....

--------------------

InvisibleMontanahunter420
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

#7580018 - 10/31/07 10:05 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

They are not Psilocybe pelliculosa! Do not eat anymore unless a postive id is made.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: Montanahunter420]
    #7580512 - 10/31/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

They are not active, for sure.

If they have a brown spore print they could be Conocybe or Galerina. If they have a white spore print they could be Mycena. Either way, they are likely to be toxic.

Offlinefuhkengroovin
New Old Guy

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7595168 - 11/04/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'm going to check the spore print if I can figure it out.

It's like they're calling out to me. Their little brown nipples beckon to me - try me!!! I don't see these mushrooms ANYWHERE, so it just seems like they myst be "special". But if they're not Liberty Caps or some other active species caused by the conifers, then I'm not going to eat any more. I did find some posts that said that some conocybes were mildly active, but they also looked a lot like some really deadly ones.

What is puzzling to me is that I had eaten them on many occasions - usually 1 or 2 fresh or maybe eight or so after they had dried out for quite awhile. I swear I was catching a buzz from them, but then it was probaby from exhaust of the lawnmower while it was idling nearby....

What I love most about America is that education is free!

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7595278 - 11/04/07 04:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Eating those mushrooms was idiotic of you. Idiotic.. do you understand that now?

InvisibleCheezit
Feel like aStranger

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #7595290 - 11/04/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

GGreatOne234 said:
Eating those mushrooms was idiotic of you. Idiotic.. do you understand that now?

Offlinebearmtn
Stranger
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: Cheezit]
    #7595545 - 11/04/07 05:47 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Confirm the puple brown spore print and the definite easily removable pellicle first. Should be some bark mulch where they are growing. Out of a large patch you should be able to find a few with mild bluing at the stem base after pinching them and waiting a while.

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: bearmtn]
    #7596796 - 11/04/07 10:39 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Someone needs to lock this thread and confirm for the 10th time that those are not active, and probably harmful.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
    #7596809 - 11/04/07 10:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fuhkengroovin said:
I'm going to check the spore print if I can figure it out.

It's like they're calling out to me. Their little brown nipples beckon to me - try me!!! I don't see these mushrooms ANYWHERE, so it just seems like they myst be "special". But if they're not Liberty Caps or some other active species caused by the conifers, then I'm not going to eat any more. I did find some posts that said that some conocybes were mildly active, but they also looked a lot like some really deadly ones.

What is puzzling to me is that I had eaten them on many occasions - usually 1 or 2 fresh or maybe eight or so after they had dried out for quite awhile. I swear I was catching a buzz from them, but then it was probaby from exhaust of the lawnmower while it was idling nearby....

What I love most about America is that education is free!

wow
that was a whole lot of dumb to try to take in
please read a book or some posts and come back in a year.
you should know better
dumb

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: notapillow]
    #7596939 - 11/04/07 11:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think this needs to be locked.

Yes, it was a stupid move. Don't make the same mistake again, or you may end up paying for it with your life.

--------------------

OfflineSomatic
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: CureCat]
    #7598172 - 11/05/07 11:43 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

you dumb

--------------------
All posts made by this user are purley hypothetical, more over they are totally works of fiction as I am currently resaerching a novel on the subject

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Psilocybe pelliculosa - Help with ID [Re: Somatic]
    #7598730 - 11/05/07 02:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

the stupidity of some people who grace this forum never ceases to amaze me... :foreheadslap:

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract