Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
30yr continuas power laptop
    #7546969 - 10/22/07 01:45 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-betavoltaic-10.1.html

Scientists Invent 30 Year Continuous Power Laptop Battery

Your next laptop could have a continuous power battery that lasts for 30 years without a single recharge thanks to work being funded by the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory. The breakthrough betavoltaic power cells are constructed from semiconductors and use radioisotopes as the energy source. As the radioactive material decays it emits beta particles that transform into electric power capable of fueling an electrical device like a laptop for years.

Although betavoltaic batteries sound Nuclear they’re not, they neither use fission/fusion or chemical processes to produce energy and so (do not produce any radioactive or hazardous waste). Betavoltaics generate power when an electron strikes a particular interface between two layers of material. The Process uses beta electron emissions that occur when a neutron decays into a proton which causes a forward bias in the semiconductor. This makes the betavoltaic cell a forward bias diode of sorts, similar in some respects to a photovoltaic (solar) cell. Electrons scatter out of their normal orbits in the semiconductor and into the circuit creating a usable electric current.

The profile of the batteries can be quite small and thin, a porous silicon material is used to collect the hydrogen isotope tritium which is generated in the process. The reaction is non-thermal which means laptops and other small devices like mobile phones will run much cooler than with traditional lithium-ion power batteries. The reason the battery lasts so long is that neutron beta-decay into protons is the world's most concentrated source of electricity, truly demonstrating Einstein’s theory E=MC2.

The best part about these cells are when they eventually run out of power they are totally inert and non-toxic, so environmentalists need not fear these high tech scientific wonder batteries. If all goes well plans are for these cells to reach store shelves in about 2 to 3 years.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: 30yr continuas power laptop [Re: Idiot]
    #7547054 - 10/22/07 02:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Woah woah woah...so now we call items "non-nuclear" as long as they don't use "fission/fusion" in them? What about all the nuclear devices laying around from the Soviet Union? Many of them do not use fission or fusion in their process, but they still contain enough radioactive material to kill many humans.

And the part about these things being "non-toxic" is baloney. Might be true as long as the device remains structurally sound...but we know how well that works, don't we? How about asking the 200 or so people who were irradiated from an old medical device that someone smashed open (you can't, they're dead). The article even mentions that tritium will be produced in the process...non-toxic my ass.

What do they use as their source of electrons?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #7547633 - 10/22/07 04:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Here's an interesting article which talks about why this is rather unrealistic.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #7548936 - 10/22/07 08:51 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

One thing I learned at a young age that rarely fails me..."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!"

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: 30yr continuas power laptop [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #7551153 - 10/23/07 02:41 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

as soon as i read tritium i knew there was a problem. i can see this being used for military applications but letting the general public have it would be wholy irresponsible and probably non profitable after a few lawsiuts.

fucking tritium, they have the old reactors from the manhattan project burried not 30 miles from my friends house in the sw suburbs of chicago, in a public forest preserve called red gate woods. its actually the worlds only public nuclear waste dump...

anyhow, they had 3 reactors burried there, 2 of which they had to remove because tritium was leaking into the ground water and local water supply.

non toxic my ass.

btw CP-1 critical pile 1 one of the reactors from the manhattan project is still out there, leaking tritium into the ground water at "safe" levels

[endrant

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: 30yr continuas power laptop [Re: ZippoZ]
    #7560355 - 10/25/07 07:05 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I just thought it was interesting. I knew something was wrong, I figured posting it here would explain a few things to me.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies