Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprimal_future
Wizard
BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating?
    #755805 - 07/18/02 08:27 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

My dog was busy innoculating some brf/vermiculite jars yesterday. He innoculated immediately after removing the cool jars from the pc and taking the foil off the jars, one at a time. He sterilized the needle prior to innoculation and did not sterilize thereafter, but did take care that the needle didn't touch anything. After several jars, he noticed that the needle had bits of brf and vermiculite on it from the previous jars. He was wondering if inserting the neelde with this matter on it into the next jar would appreciably increase the chances of contamination due to the possibility of brf bits getting into the top vermiculite layer. Is it necessary that he wipe the needle with an alcohol swab in between each innoculation hole, or is he just paranoid?

primal

--------------------
All pictures posted by me were found on the internet. Moreover, I do not grow mushrooms containing controlled substances nor do I possess any controlled substances.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewalt
?
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: primal_future]
    #755810 - 07/18/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

well that is normal. i usually keep alcohal handy while innoculating.

i wipe the needle between jars.

you will probably be cool.

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: primal_future]
    #756147 - 07/18/02 10:47 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You will increase your chances of contam if you do not practice sterilizing the needle between insertions. Why risk it?

Pour some alcohol on a paper towel and keep it handy to wipe between every insertion. It is not that hard and will only improve your rate of success. People do this for a reason, learn from what the various teks have to offer. Do not vary from the teks until you gain some experience with the basics. Why lose all your jars to contams because you were too lazy to keep a simple paper towel with alcohol nearby. Its just not worth it.

I'm not saying you will definately get contam, just trying to instill good sterile procedures.

Good luck man

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

OfflineElectricGnome
journeyman

Loc: the Mountains.........
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: Terrarium_Guy]
    #756285 - 07/18/02 11:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i just keep a big industrial Propane torch going at a low blue flame the whole time i innoculate. After every jar or every hole even i'll put that under the flame for a few secs. let cool and proceed.

works well so far.

gnome

--------------------
-So, if a duck floats and so does wood then wood must weigh the same as a duck. - Monty Python
.....One way or another....
..........this darknesss has got to give........
-Hunter/Garcia
....there are many who will never evolve in their consciousness and thought....
-Me

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: ElectricGnome]
    #756294 - 07/18/02 11:53 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

i use alcohol between ever jar...

inbetween holes isnt nesesary because if it was contaminated anyway who cares? if its contaminated in one hole it still doesnt matter if all 4 get contaminated its still contaminated...

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: JohnnyR]
    #756321 - 07/18/02 12:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I flamed the needle between each jar and wiped the needle clean/cool with a Clorox Wipe before innoculating the next jar. I had no contams in any of my jars with this method.

Best of luck!

Boppity

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: Boppity604]
    #756337 - 07/18/02 12:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Bop's BACK!! Yea!!!!!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: TM]
    #756368 - 07/18/02 12:27 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"inbetween holes isnt nesesary because if it was contaminated anyway who cares? if its contaminated in one hole it still doesnt matter if all 4 get contaminated its still contaminated..."

That may not be a good idea, what if some contams fall on your needle after the first hole and you put it into the second, there a contam that wouldnt be in the jar if you just would have wiped with alcohol after each hole.

Why are people lazy about these things? Its a simple movement of your arm and can save your jars. I mean it takes like 3 seconds to whipe down a needle, why risk not doing it? I understand for people who weight more than 500 lbs because moveing their are may be a challenge.......

Fd

PS- Good Bop your still postin!

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: BRF/Vermiculite on Needle when innoculating? [Re: ElectricGnome]
    #757543 - 07/18/02 07:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

>After every jar or every hole even i'll put that under the flame for a few secs

Strerilizing after every hole is deffinitely an overkill.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag