Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMiddleFinger
Is cooler thanyou
Male
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: Phred]
    #7417674 - 09/16/07 07:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Sadly, no I didn't catch the final episode.

The thing is, I live in The Dominican Republic. I have no television. I had heard good things about Six Feet Under so on one of my twice-yearly trips to Canada I rented Season One from a local video shop. My wife and I liked it a lot, so we rented Season Two and got almost all the way through it before we had to return to the Dominican Republic. On our next trip we finished Season Two and started Season Three, but never finished it because we ran out of time. But by then both of us were not as thrilled with it as we first had been, so on the next trip to Canada when I suggested we finish Season Three and my wife declined, I didn't push it.

I agree there are moments of brilliance, but it is too uneven for my taste. More than once at the end of an episode my wife and I would look at each other and say, "Well, that wasn't very good, was it? Maybe the next one will be better." And the thing is, in every case it was BOTH of us saying the same. So I figured it wasn't just me missing something when I came away disappointed.

Having said that, I agree with you that the show delivered a lot of great moments. The thing is, they were just that -- moments. I understand it must be incredibly tough to consistently deliver nothing but excellence with never a slip, but in my opinion The Wire manages to do that to a far higher degree than any other show I've ever seen, and that includes The Sopranos. Every season of The Sopranos, without exception, had at least three (sometimes more) episodes that left my wife and I going, "Meh. Not their best." But the total Sopranos experience is good enough that I can overlook the stumbles. But The Sopranos would have been even better with better editing. It just seems like some of it made it to the screen because they couldn't think of anything that week but had to fill the slot regardless, so "let's go with this and hope we do better next time." Fortunately, they almost always did do better next time.

Maybe if someone were to lend me all five seasons of Six Feet Under and I were to watch it all again from the beginning I might like it more than I do at the moment (for all I know I missed the best parts by just stopping halfway through Season Three), but I'm not going to buy the set in order to do that.

And I agree that it's nice to have a CIVIL discussion about these shows. They're all in the very top echelon of what tv has to offer, so it's no surprise they each have their defenders.

Phred

Very much agreed.

I am surprised, however, that you critiqued the editing on The Sopranos. To me, that show represents an impressive marriage of immense detail and development to perfectly conservative editing.

Actually, that'd be my one critique of The Wire. It gets long-winded and redudant at points. Much more so that The Sopranos.

Maybe it's an age thing. I'm only 19, and have therefore been exposed to a much different sense of media.

--------------------
History says, Don't hope

On this side of the grave.

But then, once in a lifetime

The longed-for tidal wave

Of justice can rise up

And hope and history rhyme.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: MiddleFinger]
    #7417968 - 09/16/07 09:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, our difference in age might have something to do with it. I'm almost three times your age so we look at things differently for sure.

On reflection, my choice of the word "editing" isn't quite right when discussing The Sopranos. It's more that too many of the Sopranos episodes were kind of pointless... they didn't really advance the story line. Although I guess that isn't quite right either... what IS the story line in The Sopranos, anyway?

I can't see how you perceive The as Wire being long-winded and redundant, though. I found it had very little "padding". Much less than The Sopranos. Yeah, I could have lived with less detail about McNulty's marital difficulties. Same with Kima Gregg's home situation -- her life partner is probably my least favorite character. But that's part of the realness of the show -- these characters aren't awesome selfless cops making the world a better place -- they're just people doing their jobs and then going home to deal with the same day to day crap the rest of us deal with.

Again, don't get me wrong here. All of these shows we're discussing are so far above the rest of the pack that any flaw we come across wouldn't even warrant comment in some other normal show. It's BECAUSE they are so excellent that any deviation from perfection is so noticeable.

I'm just glad there is such a thing as HBO. These are shows that would never EVER have made it to network television. And let's face it... without HBO and to a lesser degree, Showtime, breaking new ground with shows like this, there would be no network shows like Lost or Heroes, either.

You had mentioned you might rewatch Season One of The Wire. If you do get around to it, I'd be interested in hearing if the rewatching led you to rank it higher in your list of favorites.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
    #7418050 - 09/16/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's kinda like we're picking apart the Swedish Swimsuit team or comparing the differences between Ferraris and Porsches.

I wanna get into weeds.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: whattheheck]
    #7418051 - 09/16/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The series that is.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: Learyfan]
    #7418063 - 09/16/07 09:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

LearyFan writes:

Quote:

I love it when you and I can agree on something. I to love "The Wire". It's one of the greatest shows ever produced. With the exception of Season 2, it's been extremely entertaining. I have only seen Season 4 up to about episode 5. I need to get on that.

Season 3 was fantastic. It was entertaining as hell and I loved the statement that it made about the war on drugs.

It's funny about fans and Season Two. Some people swear Season Two is better than Season One. Others felt it was a bit of a letdown. The thing is, Season One is just so good, and the whole Barksdale subplot so gripping, that to leave it mostly behind for Season Two is a real jolt. But Season Two has its own feel. It's maybe not as raw and gritty as Season One, but I think it digs a lot deeper into life.

So in my opinion, even though I found the world Season One was set in had more flash, the world of Season Two had more substance. I felt a real connection to those dudes on the docks. And the guy who played Frank Sobotka was just fantastic.

I agree with you about Season Three. It really made you THINK. As I said before, I still find myself thinking about it. They handled all the complex ramifications of "Hamsterdam" -- from the effect on the clockers, the civilians in the blighted neighborhoods, the police hierarchy, the social workers, and the politicos (it was pure joy watching the mayor trying to juggle it so he could leave himself open to either taking credit for it if it worked or distancing himself totally if it bombed) -- just about as perfectly as anyone could handle such a complex scenario. All the moves and counter-moves, threats and counter-threats within the police department and the mayor's office were just pitch-perfect. I mean, they had it NAILED from every angle. Everybody involved in it acted exactly the way you would figure someone would realistically act. No false notes whatsoever. No drama for the sake of drama, no good guys vs bad guys -- even the best of the good guys had some stink on them by the end of the whole mess. I was in awe by time the closing credits of the last episode rolled up. And man... did Bunny Colvin ever get fucked over.

So yeah... if I had to rank them in order of best to worst, I'd say Three, One, Two. But Three couldn't possibly have been as good as it was without One and Two setting things up. And One was operating at a disadvantage because there wasn't any backstory yet to draw on -- no way an opening act can ever top the climax of a well set up closing act.

What gets me so excited is that the general consensus is Season Four is the most powerful one yet. Yeah, there are some who disagree, but the reviews I've read give the nod to Season Four as the best of the bunch. So I'm in for a treat. 78 days and a wakeup left to go!

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

#7418086 - 09/16/07 09:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

From what I'm reading about 4, it seems boring. But I gotta trust ya'll. And inside I know I won't be let down.

--------------------

Offlinenakors_junk_bag
Lobster Bisque
Male User Gallery

Loc: ethereality
    #7418124 - 09/16/07 09:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The Wire is the best written, best producecd, and all around besst fucking show to ever grace t.v, and to think they were going to ixnay it after only three seasons. We started a huge movment over at forums and thank someone they kept it going.

Haven't really had much chance to watch season four, was it as good as the first three?

--------------------
Asshole

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#7418200 - 09/16/07 10:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Check the reviews on the Amazon link I gave in the first post. Every single customer review so far for Season Four is five out of five.

But it was on imdb.com that I first read that most reviewers who have seen all four seasons say Season Four is the best of all of them. As I said... not a unanimous opinion by any stretch, but that seems to be the consensus view.

By the way... any of y'all who like The Wire should pick up the miniseries The Corner. Just six one hour episodes, and it's non-fiction. It's a documentary about a single year in the life of a Baltimore corner with the story played out by actors playing the roles of real people -- some of whom were dead by the time it aired. David Simon and Ed Burns did that one, too. Not a "feel good" movie by any stretch of the imagination, but amazingly gripping and powerful. Just sixteen bucks on Amazon.

Out of 35 customer reviews on Amazon, 34 were five stars out of five and the other was four out of five. It won three Emmy awards, a Peabody award (very prestigious and much harder to win than an Emmy), a Television Critics award, and four more awards on top of that.

As a matter of fact, my wife and I watched The Corner first, before either of us had ever heard of The Wire. We loved it so much we looked around for other stuff by Simon and Burns, and that's how we found out about The Wire.

Well worth the paltry sixteen bucks, believe me. And it's a great way to fill the time between now and December 4.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinenakors_junk_bag
Lobster Bisque
Male User Gallery

Loc: ethereality
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 *DELETED* [Re: Phred]
    #7418307 - 09/16/07 10:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by nakors_junk_bag

Reason for deletion: spoliers?

--------------------
Asshole

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #7418536 - 09/17/07 12:03 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

fucking scarecrow doesnt have it. but they have about 60 god damn series i've never heard of.

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #7418540 - 09/17/07 12:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

whattheheck said:
From what I'm reading about 4, it seems boring. But I gotta trust ya'll. And inside I know I won't be let down.

best tv show i have ever seen. easy.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: moosehead]
    #7418591 - 09/17/07 12:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #7418630 - 09/17/07 12:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Dec 4th is my birthday....

ANyone wanna buy me a cool birthday gift? :laugh:

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7552474 - 10/23/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Can anyone help me find some torrents for season 1 of this show, The Wire?

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
Re: The Wire Fourth Season coming Dec 4 [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7554512 - 10/24/07 11:11 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I just have to drop in and say:  Marlo is a badass.  That is all.

:thumbup:

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds