Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics)
    #433237 - 10/22/01 12:35 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Well, Teonan suggested that they could possibly be Ps. mammillata, and the description does fit fairly well, but without any images of Ps. mammillata to comare to, its impossible to say for sure. I'm taking them to a local university(GA state) to get positively identified.

I found one mushroom today that looks very similar to Ps. semilanceata, of course its not, but it sure did have the liberty cap look. Maybe I'll call these southern Libertys :) Here are a few pics from today, I have lots and lots more, but I don't want to flood this forum with pics and threads about my discovery :) I am documenting them very thoroughly though....

LK,

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (10/22/01 12:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Lizard King]
    #433238 - 10/22/01 12:37 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

LK,

--------------------

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #433430 - 10/22/01 04:41 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Please let us know if any prints are available. Feel free to PM regarding this if you like. Thanks.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #433620 - 10/22/01 07:55 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Erm... that habitat is begining to look more and more like the soil around the creek in my backyard. It also looks like flood planes near the hooch... Do these guys grow in the same spot as your weiliis do?

Just out of curiosity, what is the "Psilocybe look" I've seen you tell a couple of people that mushrooms they find have a "Psilocybe look to them." What are some distinguishing characteristic of psilocybes? Also, how do you seperate a pericle if one is present?

Peace out,
-Gumby

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Gumby]
    #434136 - 10/23/01 11:46 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I let you in on a secret to find these things. You know when your driving around town in a developed area and you see a corner or a lot of land that was going to be developed but never was, and there are usually signs up saying for sale or rent for so many acres. These little plots of land are on every other corner in the most developed places. This is where I have been finding these things, and not in just one paticular plot, in several.

I'd think that creek river areas would be sujest to flood too often, and the soil would probably be a bit on the too sandy side.

The psilocybe look, well its hard to put in words, after you've found or seen so many different active psilocybes, you can spot the general characteristics. When the cap is moist and vicid, when there is a slight umbo, the magin of the cap at the very edge is black/blue. And the cap is also usually striate near the margin. The base of the stem has fibrillose patches in a unique patter, kinda like little lighting bolt shapes of fibrillose if you look close. The smell is very distinct, so is the tase. Purplish gills with whitish edges, etc... You just now when you find one :)

LK,

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #434174 - 10/23/01 12:21 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, and they also give off some kind of signal too! They kinda let you know they are Psilocybian. It's like they're more alive than say a Mycena or Conocybe. They are strong mushrooms. Most other small species of mushrooms will crumble when handled. Many will take massive amounts of pain and show you they're hurt by bruising very badly. It's like they've got some kind of will to grow.
Yeah, and the gills are a dead giveaway, too!
Stay cool!-Levi7.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #434209 - 10/23/01 01:16 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

....im gonna be pissed if you found mammillita before i.. lol :)

keep shroomin bro,
gg

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #434477 - 10/23/01 06:51 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

I hope its a new species so LK can name it :P

LK: Did you take some of them to GA State? If so, what'd they say?

Peace out,
-Gumby

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Gumby]
    #434498 - 10/23/01 07:06 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps he could name it the LK Georgia Liberty psilocybe?

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleNyahbinghi
Stranger

Loc: Mt. Zion
Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Jammer]
    #435374 - 10/24/01 01:39 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Comparing your photographs and the description of P. mammillata (Murr.) Smith in Guzman's monograph would leave one the believe that this is a good tentative identification for your collection.

Even if the collection does not turn out to be a new species and is in fact P. mammillata, you must be heartily congratulated for the discovery of such an obscure species. And if you should disseminate this species after proper identification, then massive respect is your due.

Thank you for sharing your discovery with us.

--------------------
---------------------------
Preservation through dissemination.
When they try to keep me down, [red]J[/red][yellow]A[/yellow][green]H[/green] put I around.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Nyahbinghi]
    #436026 - 10/24/01 11:34 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Mr. Pual Stamets says they don't appear to be Ps. mammillata, he says they appear to be close realitives of Ps. azurescens or Ps. subaeriginosa(sp?). I personally don't think it is related to either. One thing people must keep in mind when viewing this species is that it is VERY SMALL!! Much smaller than any Psilocybe I've ever picked or seen in pictures. The smallest specimen I've picked so far fits on my thumb nail, thats how small they are! There is no doubt in my mind that this is either a new species, or Ps. mammillata, it has to be one or the other, nothing else fits at all.

Just thought I'd update you a bit on how the ID is going. Early next week I have a meeting set up with a professor at the university of GA, he will freeze dry fresh specimens for me to be sent to Guzman for a positive ID. I have started writing an article about these mushrooms, and if they do indeed turn out to be a new species, I will try and publish my article in mycotaxon. I would love nothing more than for my name to be beside this species name in every guide out there. Call me egocentric, but I want to have my name on this species :) If I had access to an electron microscope, I'd do the ID myself :)

Anyways, I have lots of work ahead of me, and probably won't know what this species really is for another 6-12 months, maybe even longer. Which is why I want Guzman to do the ground work, and I will try and publish it myself. Lord knows Guzman has his hands full right now with new species, it'd be years before he got around to publishing my species.

I'm drunk, so I'll end this now, just wanted to update this thread :)

Take care all, and keep shroomin!

LK,

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #436387 - 10/25/01 10:43 AM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Kick Ass Lizard!!!!

DH

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #440623 - 10/29/01 12:11 PM (22 years, 5 months ago)

Im so jealous of this.

Are they still fruiting?

Keep on shroomin,
ggreatone

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #7552754 - 10/23/07 08:59 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Now that I have a proper microscope I've been going through some stored samples. I finally worked my way to this sample from Lizard King. It keys out to a species in Section Mexicanae but it doesn't match any descriptions I currently have.

It seems strange that noone has found these again since 2001

Comparisons with other closely related species in the Section Mexicanae can be found at the Spore Works Microscopy Gallery

Anyone have any follow up on if this species is/was going to be published? I have all of the missing pictures saved if any moderator with the power wants to restore them.

Missing pictures:

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (10/23/07 09:29 PM)

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: Workman]
    #7554437 - 10/24/07 10:48 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Now I just hope that the spores are still viable. It is possible that this is another sclerotia forming species.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleJrsxt
Stranger

#7554540 - 10/24/07 11:19 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

This is amazing. It was from 01 though. Has it been published and named yet? Or is there a possibility this has already been discovered and is some sort of mutation maybe? Maybe mutation isn't the right word. Maybe variation.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #7554588 - 10/24/07 11:32 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Now that I have a proper microscope I've been going through some stored samples. I finally worked my way to this sample from Lizard King. It keys out to a species in Section Mexicanae but it doesn't match any descriptions I currently have.

men those really resembles mexicana  in the picture you use in your microscopic gallery .:eek:
here we have  two species in the mexicanae section ps. galindii and PS jaliscana, i never heard of they found this specie again in jalisco. but in Veracruz, also the main macroscopic feature to differentiate PS. mexicana than PS. galindii is the long pseudorryza in the latter, all this species in the mixicanae section  grow on pastures in grasses close to the woods , only few grow in the woods,or in ravines, is this species a grass land lover , i know lk is in heaven .........well he mention liberty cap and i related to grass too, and he said about the habitat and was felling lot of grass was there and  you mention sclerotia,;)

It seems strange that none has found these again since 2001

me too,  ooh well not so much because no one here is the  kind  of lizard , he can do everything ......
lk said:
I let you in on a secret to find these things. You know when your driving around town in a developed area and you see a corner or a lot of land that was going to be developed but never was, and there are usually signs up saying for sale or rent for so many acres. These little plots of land are on every other corner in the most developed places. This is where I have been finding these things, and not in just one particular plot, in several.

where is the kind ? you don´t need to answer i know .......is just a eyaculation ......

lk said:
I'd think that creek river areas would be sujest to flood too often, and the soil would probably be a bit on the too sandy side.

The psilocybe look, well its hard to put in words, after you've found or seen so many different active psilocybes, you can spot the general characteristics. When the cap is moist and vicid, when there is a slight umbo, the magin of the cap at the very edge is black/blue. And the cap is also usually striate near the margin. The base of the stem has fibrillose patches in a unique patter, kinda like little lighting bolt shapes of fibrillose if you look close. The smell is very distinct, so is the tase. Purplish gills with whitish edges, etc... You just now when you find one :smile:

:yesnod: all my best vibrations to you too.......

lk said:
Mr. Pual Stamets says they don't appear to be Ps. mammillata, he says they appear to be close realitives of Ps. azurescens or Ps. subaeriginosa(sp?). I personally don't think it is related to either. One thing people must keep in mind when viewing this species is that it is VERY SMALL!! Much smaller than any Psilocybe I've ever picked or seen in pictures. The smallest specimen I've picked so far fits on my thumb nail, thats how small they are! There is no doubt in my mind that this is either a new species, or Ps. mammillata, it has to be one or the other, nothing else fits at all.

every one make mystake around here  even the "pro"

lk said:
Anyways, I have lots of work ahead of me, and probably won't know what this species really is for another 6-12 months, maybe even longer. Which is why I want Guzman to do the ground work, and I will try and publish it myself. Lord knows Guzman has his hands full right now with new species, it'd be years before he got around to publishing my species.

this is in the new papers of guzman i bet in the new revision of the genus psilocybe , imaging if he was busy in 2001  how is he right now? , we need to help this  men  there is only with a cooperative work , we gonna do this more fast , he can´t handle it

lk said:
Take care all, and keep shroomin!

i´m gonna do what you said friend
men when i was getting into the shrromery  he was leaving  i  wish  some day i  met  the kind, and show me around ..i know you are in heaven , will met you there ......

Edited by cactu (10/24/07 11:37 AM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7555044 - 10/24/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome. Fucking awesome.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics) [Re: CureCat]
    #7555082 - 10/24/07 01:58 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Oh man, I just looked at the description for Psilocybe atlantis and it looks like that is exactly what this species is. This species was described relatively recently and I had misplaced my copy of Mycotaxon. Now this calls into question the species that I've been cultivating as Psilocybe atlantis. Is it the same or different? I didn't save a specimen to check so now I have to wait until it is regrown.

LK samples spores measured as 8.6-10.7 micrometers in length. Psilocybe atlantis spores (8)9-10(11) micrometers. And with those distinctive branched cheiliocystidia, that pretty much confirms it in my mind. Dammit, I shouldn't have been so eager to post before doing more research.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7555169 - 10/24/07 02:23 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I'm looking forward to the comparison.  :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds