Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics
    #7551640 - 10/23/07 04:30 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Almost 80 here in NY on Sunday!!! Took a short hike to an old abandoned ore mine (1800's)Cool place with just dwarf birch, mushroom and mosses growing. On the way I also too some pics of some fungi, one was throwing off so many spores it looked like it was smoking. Another weird moss growing on a slab of mine tilling. Just an awesome day to be out. I don't get out much, and with winter approaching it was needed. I'm sure some people can ID these. here are some of my pics.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: LoWgRoW]
    #7551771 - 10/23/07 04:52 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

i can almost id some of the mushrooms you have there, nice walk .
but to do so i need you to read the forum rules that will xplaing how to give a proper description of the mushrooms , i will reserve mi id until then i guess you like to learn about mushrooms by doing so , you will learn a lot, also you may try a few shots with the macro mode if you can , that will give a better view of the mushroom. happy hunting

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: LoWgRoW]
    #7551805 - 10/23/07 04:56 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

1) Probably Laccaria
2) Tremella or its non-stereum eating lookalike
3) polypore
4) polypore
5) fungi

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7551868 - 10/23/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

:rofl:    that was the word stereum  haha

1) Probably Laccaria but if it had rusty spores all change
2) Tremella or its non-stereum eating lookalike :rolleyes:
3) polypore you could suget ganoderma,fomitopsis,or depend of the under side view too.
4) polypore    ganoderma     
5) fungi  that not a fungi  if that is a rock  to survive that circunstances a mushrooms with have to make a symbiosis  with a plant  an algae to be correct and  form a lichen  that a lichen
well only if you put a real mushrooms in top of that rock
i see that if you give more detaild will be the best

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: cactu]
    #7552196 - 10/23/07 06:46 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Catu the spores where rusty!! When I first touch them I thought it was from grabbing rocks on the ground, but then I noticed it again right after touching. I left them alone after that point. A pic of the area . The little reddish guys where everywhere once I became "aware" that they existed. Kind of weird to suddenly realize your surrounded.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
    #7552489 - 10/23/07 07:45 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

so the one in the first picture are rusty spore weird i was hopping to be  white , not familiar with that type of mushrroms ,..

The little reddish guys where everywhere once I became "aware" that they existed. Kind of weird to suddenly realize your surrounded.

i know what you mean :grin:

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: cactu]
    #7552857 - 10/23/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The first picture is a Tubaria.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7552894 - 10/23/07 09:31 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The polypore in the 3rd looks like an Inonotus , but it looks like an old one.

Edited by falcon (10/23/07 10:15 PM)

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: falcon]
    #7553932 - 10/24/07 07:26 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks folks!!! I was checking some pics of Tubaria, and does look a lot like it. Although pics I saw where all in Cali(I'm in NY). Its odd how it grows in such toxic ground! The fungi in the 3rd pic was old, the dark spots seem to be where something was nibbling on it.
Again thanks, by far the best people on any forum!

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7554131 - 10/24/07 08:46 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm.... yeah, I would have said Laccaria or Tubaria as well....

Lowgrow, what kind of trees were growing nearby these small mushrooms??

You should take a spore print, just to be sure...

--------------------

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: CureCat]
    #7554218 - 10/24/07 09:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Hey CureCat, the trees are dwarfed white birch(see landscape pic above) the ground was very iron inriched as it was in the tilings of an old mine(last used in early 1800's). The ground was cover in rust in some spots. It seemed the only vegetation growing where the dwarf birch, those mushrooms and weird mosses and such(at this time of year). I didn't pick anything as I rather leave things as I find them. Of course I did touch them as explained above and did get what seemed like rusty spores. I posted a second pic of what I believe is a more mature specimens. All and all it was a beautiful day. I really wish there was a class or an organized hunt group in the area, if not to hunt at least to learn how to pronounce some Latin names. LOL I'm grammatically horrible and completely uneducated.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7554257 - 10/24/07 09:37 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Might be Laccaria pumila, which grows mycorrhizal with birch.
http://www.fieldmuseum.org/research_collections/botany/botany_sites/fungi/species/L.pumila/mushroom.html

It could still very well be Tubaria, but without seeing the underside of the cap, and fore most, the spore colour, I'm going with Laccaria.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Trusted Identifier
    #7554263 - 10/24/07 09:40 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

yeah  i´m not familiar with tubaria , maybe is a good spot to bring spores of cyanescens or any other wood lovers;).those tubaria most be feeding of some burieg log´s.but i´m confuse is was spores  what got in your hands or rust dust of the ground .

I didn't pick anything as I rather leave things as I find them:yesnod:

I'm grammatically horrible and completely uneducated.
you are doing good  keep up ..

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #7554932 - 10/24/07 01:09 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

#2 may also be Dacryopinax spathularia... it is kinda hard to make out the details necessary to be certain. Little yellow jelly like fungi are pretty neat.
Regarding your Lichens... buy this book... and let all of us borrow it, you can cover the shipping fees right? It's for the community, you are an altruistic guy aren't you.

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: georgeM]
    #7555083 - 10/24/07 01:58 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

The rust was from the spores..

George- I have to work with my camera a bit more. Cool book, too expensive.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7555155 - 10/24/07 02:20 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Can't you just pick one and take a good spore print?? I won't be settled until I know the spore colour!

--------------------

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Went for a walk the other day tested out my new camera. Mush and fungi pics [Re: CureCat]
    #7555575 - 10/24/07 03:49 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

wish I could but with work and that place is a good 45min away and a trek. By the time I get home it's dark already. I will try and get out there next weekend if the weather holds out. I'm pretty sure it was rust color, because it was on my fingers. I understand that you can't ever really be sure until an actually print is taken. It is rainy out, temps have dropped slightly. Hope they hold out. Here a bunch more pics

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7555604 - 10/24/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Great!  The gills look much more like Tubaria:smile:

--------------------

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

#7555670 - 10/24/07 04:10 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

cool!! I'm glad that picture helped!!

Hey is there a way to collect spores with minimum disturbance to the mushroom? Is there a tek and I missed it?

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7555702 - 10/24/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Sorta, but it wouldn't be worth it. Just pick one! There is no damage done to the organism, if anything, you are helping by carrying the mushroom along and dispersing its spores. But it's cool, i agree with Tubaria now. But in the future, don't be afraid to pick full grown mushrooms!

--------------------

OfflineLoWgRoW
Strange
Male User Gallery

#7556832 - 10/24/07 08:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

OK will do, I'll be prepared. Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
Avoid negative people.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds