Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYeagerBomb
I have a big dick
Male

Loc: USA
Talking to local farmer
    #7547515 - 10/22/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

There's about 3 local farmers with horse stables around my area.

I can walk along the fences and see a certain distance, but I'd have a way better chance of finding some good shrooms if I could get over the fence.

Anyways, should I talk to the farmers themselves, or should I go at night with a flashlight? What do you all recommend?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehooksbooks
Fun Guy
Male

Loc: Central, TX
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: YeagerBomb]
    #7547524 - 10/22/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

drfinately dont go in there with a flashlight. You have a good chance of being spotted when the only thing to be seen is the flashlight. Early mornings or right around sunset work best, that is if you are not going to ask the farmer. As far as asking, its worth a try, but if you get a negative reponse, that kinda serves as a warning, although asscheeks full of rocksalt serve as a warning as well. The way i look at it is this, pick the right time to go (a day or so after good rains have stopped) and be as quick and stealthy as you can. If you keep going time and time again while the field is dry, you are going to be wasting your time and putting too much exposure on yourself.

OfflineYeagerBomb
I have a big dick
Male

Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: hooksbooks]
    #7547534 - 10/22/07 04:18 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
    #7547712 - 10/22/07 05:10 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

its a good idea to have something to offer the farmer as a gift for letting you search his pastures. like a fifth of bourbon, beef jerky or whatever you think of

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: casgoodie]
    #7547880 - 10/22/07 05:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

once u have identified a good location:
approach the landowner and say u are looking for edibles, or a mycology student, something like that...
take him an offering and assure him that u will respect his property if he lets u have a look around...

if he tells u to fuck off wot have u lost?
u can still go back after dark with the flashlight :yesnod:

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #7547888 - 10/22/07 05:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

That, or having the horses run you out. They don't like strangers in there, they'll probably all come running out the stable as soon as they spot you.
Asking the farmer is ify, he knows what you're up to.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
    #7548295 - 10/22/07 06:48 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

If you come up with a good excuse as to be looking through horse and cow shit, I'd ask the farmer. Otherwise, go into the fields and if he sees you say you got really lost or something.

If he sees you picking mushrooms, you are fucked though. Just go to the farmer's door with a backpack, ask him if you can go to his fields and take samples of mushroom growth for information regarding scientific species-variation in the area. Tell him that you've done it on a few other farms in the area to ease his mind a bit possibly. Make it sound as scientific as possible. Throw big words at him every once in a while. Tell him its for a college project for your major, and you will do something in exchange for him.

Most farmers are extremely nice people from the one's I've met. And if one turns you down, there will be one that won't.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

OfflineYeagerBomb
I have a big dick
Male

Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7548336 - 10/22/07 06:56 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Drewwyann said:
If you come up with a good excuse as to be looking through horse and cow shit, I'd ask the farmer. Otherwise, go into the fields and if he sees you say you got really lost or something.

If he sees you picking mushrooms, you are fucked though. Just go to the farmer's door with a backpack, ask him if you can go to his fields and take samples of mushroom growth for information regarding scientific species-variation in the area. Tell him that you've done it on a few other farms in the area to ease his mind a bit possibly. Make it sound as scientific as possible. Throw big words at him every once in a while. Tell him its for a college project for your major, and you will do something in exchange for him.

Most farmers are extremely nice people from the one's I've met. And if one turns you down, there will be one that won't.

Hmmmm.. Have you ever done that yourself? If I was a farmer, even without the knowledge of mushrooms I have now, I'd be suspicious. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
    #7548421 - 10/22/07 07:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

never done it myself, because cubes don't grow in my area, but the worst thats gonna happen is they will turn you down. They can't call the cops on you for asking permission to do something.

Try a little of each method. Ask a farmer, and then go to another farm and stealth-mushroom-hunt.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Offlinejohnnyfacker
Stranger
Male

#7548729 - 10/22/07 08:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Definately the best answer:

uarewatueat said:
once u have identified a good location:
approach the landowner and say u are looking for edibles, or a mycology student, something like that...
take him an offering and assure him that u will respect his property if he lets u have a look around...

I know farmers who would come out with a rifle or even shoot at someone sneaking around with a flashlight at night. Easier to have him say no than risk a negative confrontation.

Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: johnnyfacker]
    #7548754 - 10/22/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

a lot of people know about actives hunting but just dont care, they even recommend going to the coast or a cow pasture "they grow in the shit" hahaha

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

OfflineYeagerBomb
I have a big dick
Male

#7548895 - 10/22/07 08:44 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

"Hello, *shakes hand* I'm fakenamehere Nice to meet you uhm, sorry to bother you but I'm enrolled at U of L and we're doing a study on mycro organisms, specifically mushrooms."

"My teacher recommended I could find the most interesting and beneficial learning experience from studying mushrooms that grow pastures. If you don't mind, could I have a quick look and see if I can find some in your field?"

How's that

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #7548987 - 10/22/07 09:00 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

This topic has been discussed here over one-hundred times. Most good Cube fields do not even have a house on them, so trespassing is the only option. And if a farmer is smart enough, he would not grant you any access to the field due to liability issues. If you flash a few bucks in their face they might reconsider. Farmers in southeastern United States know just as good as you that shrooms grow on their property. They are very aware of the fungus on their property so many land owners are in cahoots with the coppers and try to bust trespassers like a game of cat and mouse. And all the farmers I have asked absolutely do not want shroomers on their land. If they are dickwads to you about it, do what the Shroom_Wizard taught me. Fuel their fire just for the kicks of it. Tell them "Well there are shrooms on your property and I am going to get them whether you like it or not. I will come at night in camoflauge and you will never see me or catch me. We are coming for the shrooms whether you like it or not."

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #7549518 - 10/22/07 11:07 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

casgoodie said:
its a good idea to have something to offer the farmer as a gift for letting you search his pastures. like a fifth of bourbon, beef jerky or whatever you think of

Fruit basket?  :rasta:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: scout24]
    #7549626 - 10/22/07 11:46 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Alright... I dont know how stupid farmers from other states are, but if you ask a texas farmer you want to go on his field for edible mushrooms, your gunna get a gun pulled on you... Farmers here arent stupid...

Ide also like to ask how many of you have tryed the mycology student/edible mushroom thing? Probably none... Find a field that doesnt have a farmer on it...

OfflineJaymes
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Puget Sound, WA
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: implee]
    #7549725 - 10/23/07 12:47 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I asked this lady who owns a horse ranch down the road and she said no 'cause she wouldn't want to be liable for anything if I got hurt or some shit like that.

--------------------

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: Jaymes]
    #7549734 - 10/23/07 12:53 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

hahaha...yeah.

I've had alot of succes hunting for woodlovers. Here in WA, some of the best spots (heresay) are in very busy areas, but I'm pretty paranoid, and have stayed away from the busy areas. Nonetheless, I've found success in the more quiet and non-urbanized areas of the PNW.

I don't know what I would do if I had to jump a fence every time I wanted to hunt for actives. Sorry about your luck down south.

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: jet li]
    #7549825 - 10/23/07 01:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

What do you mean "Sorry about your luck down south." down south is the place to be! atleast in texas/florida we get mushrooms year round with the weak winters we have!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #7549973 - 10/23/07 05:28 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

what you have got to keep in mind is tht even if the farmer knows what you are up to, does he/she care? if they believe you will be respectful, they may let you hunt anyway. several of the fields in which i have standing permission to hunt are owned by old trippers, either current or former.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Talking to local farmer [Re: canid]
    #7550290 - 10/23/07 08:51 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

what you have got to keep in mind is tht even if the farmer knows what you are up to, does he/she care? if they believe you will be respectful, they may let you hunt anyway.

this is the way i see it too...
all the farmer said to me was:

"i dont mind u being in my fields so long as u respect my property, dont climb on the dry stone walls. its easier for me to get my animals off the hill come winter if they have got used to having a few people around, so i dont mind."

of course this is the view of a british sheep farmer, not a gun toting redneck texan...

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale