Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

pins only growing underneath my cakes
    #7539446 - 10/20/07 02:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I went to check on my cakes today and I was sad to see that yet another day had passed without them growing any pins. I decided to throw them out and start again, but when I picked up the first one i noticed a ton of pins growing underneath it, with mycelium starting to colonize the perlite. I use an ultrasonic humidifier along with damp perlite. on my first grow i had the humidifier pumping directly into the FC for an hour on and then an hour off. This made it too wet inside the FC so I changed it to an hour on and 2 hours off (on a timer).

My first 2 cakes got contaminated so I had to toss them. About this time I found a large water container thing that you're supposed to put into the fridge. I poked 2 holes in the top of it and ran tubing into and out of it, so that the humidified air could condense in there before being sent to the FC. I had a cheap humidity gauge (5 bucks) that always read 95% (the highest reading that the package said the gauge could read) then one day it stopped working. I replaced the batteries, still didn't work.

I am pretty confused, I am assuming that there wasn't enough humidity in the FC with the hour on/2 off + condensation chamber and thats why the mycelium is growing down into the perlite (to get to the water) I have also been putting in an ice pack every night for the past 4 days. Today I changed the timer to 1 on/1 off, kept the condensation chamber the same, flipped the cakes, and put them on tin foil squares. Do you think I made the correct diagnosis and took the proper steps to alleviate the problem? What happened to my humidity gauge? Was it just a cheap piece of shit that broke because it was too humid? It didn't even have a probe on it, it was just a little plastic box with an LCD display. Sorry for the long, rambling post but this is my third failed attempt at growing and I wanted to be as specific as possible because obviously I want success. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: Psilocin Dreams]
    #7539620 - 10/20/07 03:17 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

If it was a cheap digital meter, there not designed to operate in such high humidity, moisture had gotten into the electronics, it might dry out and start working again.

As for pins forming on the bottom, u dont happen to have your cakes sitting on tinfoil, with your light source coming for the side.

My first cake seemed to take ages to pin, then i discoverd shrooms were coming from the bottom,i just jeft it as they started go get pretty big, i got 18 grams wet first flush.

Did you dunk then roll your cake in dry verm??, when i done that to my cakes, they started pinning from the sides and i got slightly better flushes.

Are your cakes sitting on tinfoil??? Try and have light coming from above pointing directly into the chamber if your using a light bulb/tube as light source, i had shrooms growing downward and soon after i move light to up above pointing down, shrooms grow up.

I picture of your set up would be helpfull too.

I have only used perlite in a 30 litre container and have had good results so far. Im have 3 cakes waiting to pin at the moment.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7539846 - 10/20/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Low humidity is the most likely cause of only pinning on the bottom. Get rid of the ultrasonic, drill a few holes in all six sides of the fruiting chamber, and add four to five inches of rinsed, and then well drained perlite. This will give you the upper 90's humidity you need. Don't complicate cakes/terrariums. They don't need or want technical stuff.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7539984 - 10/20/07 04:54 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

#7539988 - 10/20/07 04:55 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe I just have a really shitty light source? It isn't shining directly down onto the cakes.

Edited by Psilocin Dreams (10/20/07 05:00 PM)

Offlinesyntroniks
Stranger Danger
Loc: Assen, Holland
    #7540142 - 10/20/07 05:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Needs more humidity, needs more fresh air, might need more light. I dont know how bright it is with the lid on

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: syntroniks]
    #7540215 - 10/20/07 05:51 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Why would it need more air? The humidifier is running for an hour at a time, every other hour. Can you explain your response please? I'm having trouble understanding how you came to these conclusions.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #7540270 - 10/20/07 06:06 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

your running an ultrasonic for an hr at a time in that little fc? way overkill dude! like RR said dont over complicate cakes.

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: blood4blood]
    #7540278 - 10/20/07 06:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

ok but i have the condensation chamber, my timer only lets it go for 1 hour intervals, so i can't have it on for less than an hour at a time.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#7540297 - 10/20/07 06:12 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

for just 4 cakes just do what RR said it works great. and if you can see the cakes then they are getting plenty of light. i had alot of pins uder my cakes on my last flush it prob because thats where the optiaml growing conditions are but they will find they're way out.

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: blood4blood]
    #7540319 - 10/20/07 06:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I flipped them over so the pins are on top, is that ok? I need to use the humidifier because I am out of the house for most of the day and have no other way of watering or fanning them.

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#7540328 - 10/20/07 06:24 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod

try this out. completly automated. and im not sure about flipping your cakes someone else will have to chime in on that.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #7540331 - 10/20/07 06:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Im out of the house most of the day too, i make up for it by fanning every hour when i get up, then when i get home from work, i must fan and mist about 10 times each day. And thats with being left to there own devices for a good 10 hours.

for 4 cakes, i would just use a 30 litre plastic storage container, with 4 inches of damp perlite and some holes to allow it to breath. U could attach a fan and run that on a timer for fresh air exchanges with a filter over it.

Then just mist every now and then when you about.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinesyntroniks
Stranger Danger
Loc: Assen, Holland
Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7540390 - 10/20/07 06:51 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

well since CO2 sinks, you want to have an air exchange at the bottom of the FC to let out CO2 while your good humid air is coming in on top

Invisibleorchidfanatic
retiree
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: where the wild things are
    #7540521 - 10/20/07 07:28 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

syntroniks said:
well since CO2 sinks, you want to have an air exchange at the bottom of the FC to let out CO2 while your good humid air is coming in on top

this is a myth CO2 doesn't run out of the hole, it just needs FAE to lower CO2 levels..

Invisibleorchidfanatic
retiree
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: orchidfanatic]
    #7540526 - 10/20/07 07:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

just the perlite will be fine with cakes . fan when you can and they will be fine if they are already pinning ..

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

#7540535 - 10/20/07 07:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What's the best setup to use with an ultrasonic humidifier? I really want to use it because I went out and spent 40 bucks on the damned thing just for this. The FC I am using is a cheapo styrofoam cooler, so I would have no problems with buying something bigger and better as long as it was more durable. I read a lot before setting this up and got the impression that the ultrasonic humidifier was the best way to go, is that not the case?

EDIT: Should I put holes in my styrofoam cooler? If so, should I cover them with tyvek or something? Would they be OK just being open holes?

SECOND EDIT: Should I buy a Martha and set it up that way since I already have the expensive equipment? (Humidifier and pressure cooker)

Edited by Psilocin Dreams (10/20/07 07:35 PM)

Invisibleorchidfanatic
retiree
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7540563 - 10/20/07 07:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

the humidifier works great for a martha or a large tool box or large tub
a small cooler like what you have is fine for cakes with perlite in the bottom .. I would put a couple of holes about 1 inch round on 4 sides of the Styrofoam cooler and stick polyfill in the holes.. and put a small compact florescent light on top , save the humidifier for a martha and bulk grow.. like at least 2 trays in a martha like this one

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

Re: pins only growing underneath my cakes [Re: orchidfanatic]
    #7540573 - 10/20/07 07:45 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What is polyfill? Is that like synthetic cotton batting?

OfflinePsilocin Dreams
PerpetuallyContaminated

#7544769 - 10/21/07 09:35 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Update: I upped the humidity and began fanning the box (4 or 5 times so far), it has only been ONE day but I can already see noticeable results.

Edited by Psilocin Dreams (10/21/07 09:36 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies