Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone
    #7544355 - 10/21/07 07:57 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

FYI

I haven't read it yet. I did see that they had the picture of Hunter after getting beat up by the Hells Angel. That's cool already.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhishe
Lysergic Bliss
Male User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Learyfan]
    #7544419 - 10/21/07 08:11 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I didn't know he got beat up by the hells angels weren't they friends..?

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#7544421 - 10/21/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Actually, I guess it's not the new Rolling Stone. Close enough though.

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#7544424 - 10/21/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, his wife just wrote a new book about her marriage with him and what was the driving force behind his writing. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I can.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinerazmablues
Biologist
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: OrangeCounty
Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Phishe]
    #7544429 - 10/21/07 08:14 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phishe said:

he had to get beat up to be able to leave them i believe... hell's angels tradition :biker:

--------------------
soft silly music is meaningful, magical :heartpump:

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#7544433 - 10/21/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Phishe said:

They got pissed off at him and demanded he give them the profits for his writings about the hells angels. They beat him pretty severely.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7544437 - 10/21/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You can get a sneak peek from this article on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/12/the.gonzo.way.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch

Quote:

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- It wasn't a reckless obsession with liquor, drugs and gunplay that made the late Hunter S. Thompson the undisputed king of Gonzo journalism, his wife says. Instead, it was old-fashioned principles such as working hard and telling the truth, enlivened by the glee Thompson took from learning and from being right.

"I don't deny his lifestyle, because his lifestyle was pretty extreme," Anita Thompson told The Associated Press, but that lifestyle was made possible by his success as a reporter and writer, not the other way around.

In her new book, "The Gonzo Way: A Celebration of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson," Thompson says her husband built his career with a tireless dedication to the craft of reporting, a keen awareness of his own shortcomings and his personal blend of patriotism: loving his country while mistrusting authority.

And in a wide-ranging interview, she spoke about a rift between her and Hunter Thompson's son and the agonizing doubts that dogged her in the days after her husband's suicide.

Thompson shot himself in the kitchen of his home outside Aspen in February 2005 at age 67.

He had established himself as an original and riveting voice with "Hells Angels," published in 1966, and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" in 1972. It was Gonzo journalism -- irreverent, outlandish and unapologetically personal. The image it projected, coupled with his undisguised love of guns and explosions, gave Thompson a reputation as an unbridled outlaw surfing on a wave of drugs and excess.

After his death, Anita Thompson said, she got stacks of e-mails and letters from young people who thought they could duplicate his success by mimicking his infamous consumption.

"They wrote me these letters about drinking bottles of Wild Turkey and doing grams of cocaine," said Thompson, a tall, outgoing, slender woman with shoulder-length dirty blond hair and a ready smile who munched on a salad during an interview at a Denver hotel. "And I realized, OK, I need to correct that."

Her book, published by Fulcrum Publishing, depicts the man who used the pseudonym Raoul Duke in his famous "Fear and Loathing" as a relentless researcher and a voracious reader. He viewed politics as both worthy and necessary to get things done, the book says, and he believed nothing could be accomplished without friends and allies.

"The Hunter I want people to understand is hardworking, righteous and a patriot -- a bedrock patriot and loyal to his country and loyal to his friends," Anita Thompson said. Even his most savage political commentary was written in hopes of inspiring change: "He believed we were better than what we were electing."

Thompson also knew his faults and either compensated for them or harnessed them, his widow said. He thought he was lazy, so he worked hard. He could be angry and violent, so he poured that energy onto the page.

But not all of it ended up there.

"Sometimes, it felt like the walls of the cabin would come down when we would get into our big fights," she said. "Things would fly, grapefruits and a lamp would fly -- a lot of shouting."

Their marriage worked, she said, because she fought back, and he was never physically violent toward her.

"To me he was a great husband. He could be scary at times ... but so could I," she said, laughing.

The 35-year age difference between them -- she was 32 when he died -- enriched their relationship. Thompson described Hunter as her teacher, boss and best friend, while she sometimes played the role of designated grown-up.

"He was such a child at heart that I was often the adult between the two of us," she said.

Anita Thompson was born in Fort Collins, about 130 miles northeast of Aspen. She attended the University of California at Los Angeles but got so heavily involved with environmental groups on the campus that she burned out. She moved to Aspen in 1994 for what she thought would be a one-semester break, but it stretched into years.

She went snowboarding every day during ski season and was working as a nanny and a ski shop bookkeeper when a friend introduced her to Hunter. They became friends, and he asked her to go to work as his editorial assistant on a book of his letters.

They fell in love. She moved in with him in late 1999 and they married in April 2003.

Writing "The Gonzo Way" has helped her heal from his suicide, she said, but the path has been uneven. The first few weeks were especially dark, complicated by a split with Juan Thompson, Hunter's son from a previous marriage.

Twice before the suicide, Juan and his wife had asked Anita to leave Hunter, said Thompson, who does not know why and refused to consider it.

"I had no intention of leaving him," she said. "He was the love of my life and he was sick at the time." Hunter Thompson had undergone a hip replacement and back surgery, and had suffered a broken leg.

After the suicide, Juan told her his father had wanted to end the marriage, and that a paper found near his body was a divorce document, she said. She didn't believe it, but then recalled a note her husband wrote two weeks earlier saying, "I love you enough to set you free." She had asked what he meant but he didn't want to talk about it.

"So when Juan said that 'My dad wanted a divorce,' I thought maybe Hunter did want me to go," she said. "I had to requestion everything -- my place there, if my being there maybe caused Hunter to do it."

Relief came three weeks later, she said, when she got a photograph taken by investigators that showed the paper found near Thompson's body was not a divorce document but an amendment to his will.

"I know Hunter didn't want a divorce. I know that," she said.

Anita Thompson said Juan won't discuss the document with her.

Juan Thompson declined to discuss the assertions, saying they involved "very personal issues."

"If we're going to talk about Hunter, I think we should talk about Hunter's accomplishments and writing rather than his personal life," he told the AP.

Like many others who knew the writer, Anita Thompson said she was not surprised that he committed suicide, because he had spoken more than once about ending his life on his own terms, when he thought it was time to go.

"I have accepted his decision with an open heart. But I do feel it was a mistake. I believe he did it too soon," she said.

Now 35, Thompson said she is doing her best to move on. She is finishing her undergraduate degree in American studies at Columbia University in New York and is considering graduate school.

She may pursue a career in public education, but, she said, "I will always work for Hunter, or at least for the things he thought were important, because they're important to me, too." One of those causes is working with a marijuana-law reform group.

Her family sometimes worries that she is "still orbiting around Hunter." But that's all right with Thompson.

"It's like Venus -- doesn't want to lose the sun. One day you wake up and the sun is gone. What do you do?" she said with a laugh. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#7544448 - 10/21/07 08:17 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's been a long time since I read the book, but if my memory serves me correctly, he was in need of a good ending to his book "Hells Angels" and saw an opportunity for a dramatic ending when one of the Angels started roughing up his girlfriend which gave Thompson the opportunity to defend the girl and subsequently get beat up by the Angel.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7544460 - 10/21/07 08:21 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Re-read the book, because that is 100% inaccurate.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7544488 - 10/21/07 08:29 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Why don't you just tell me?

--------------------

OfflinePsy Baba
That was zen, This is Tao
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The land of Ports.
    #7544506 - 10/21/07 08:33 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I have a copy of this rolling stone :smile:. I am going to hang it somewhere.  My girls dad actually gave it to me.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
Sit up and meditate, there's no time to contemplate.
-------------------------------------------------
I have an international Hitech Psytrance project with a friend: BioChronic
I make various form of Psytrance as a solo Project Dendriform

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Psy Baba]
    #7544529 - 10/21/07 08:39 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Nice.  :cool:

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7544535 - 10/21/07 08:40 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Its just like someone said earlier...

Some of the Angels had heard he was writing a book and figured he must be getting alot of money for it. He told them he wasn't, they didnt believe him, and they stomped him pretty good.

One of his friends who was an Angel made sure he didn't get hurt too bad and that was that.

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7544541 - 10/21/07 08:41 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Its just like someone said earlier...

Some of the Angels had heard he was writing a book and figured he must be getting alot of money for it.  He told them he wasn't, they didnt believe him, and they stomped him pretty good.

One of his friends who was an Angel made sure he didn't get hurt too bad and that was that.

Oooh, I was right. Sweet sweet satisfaction. :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#7544549 - 10/21/07 08:42 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Fair enough. I wasn't sure. I could have sworn that it had something to do with Thompson taking up for the girlfriend of the Angel who beat him up. But like I said, it's been a while.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (10/21/07 08:43 PM)

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
    #7544720 - 10/21/07 09:26 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
Fair enough. I wasn't sure. I could have sworn that it had something to do with Thompson taking up for the girlfriend of the Angel who beat him up. But like I said, it's been a while.

You are right learyfan, I just watched the hell's angel docu on the history channel, with Hunter in it, and that was the exact story, guy hit his wife, his dog bit him, he hit his dog, and he called him a punk for hitting his wife and dog, and he beat up Hunter.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #7544735 - 10/21/07 09:28 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Motherfuckin G said:
Quote:

Learyfan said:

You are right learyfan, I just watched the hell's angel docu on the history channel, with Hunter in it, and that was the exact story, guy hit his wife, his dog bit him, he hit his dog, and he called him a punk for hitting his wife and dog, and he beat up Hunter.

Ya know, I remember watching that documentary about a year ago and they did say that's what happened.

--------------------

Offlinemoosehead
poop deck
 User Gallery

Loc: pnw
    #7544970 - 10/21/07 10:32 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

It's a pretty bad article. They just like putting his face on the cover cause it sells copy.

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

#7544990 - 10/21/07 10:36 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Whatever, most overrated author EVER

--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #7545061 - 10/21/07 10:54 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

You're the worst gay ever, they just had Hunter on venture bros and he had tits, it was funny.

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

#7545095 - 10/21/07 11:04 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Whatever, most overrated Adventure Bros. episode EVER

--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
 User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #7545123 - 10/21/07 11:12 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

All the venture brothers eps are golden. Like your showers, and anal discharge.

--------------------

Offlinem.v2
Apple-Core
Male

#7545176 - 10/21/07 11:24 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Motherfuckin G said:
All the venture brothers eps are golden. Like your showers, and anal discharge.

ZING!

--------------------

Offlinekriminalelement
"jesus wept."
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ay! los popos estan aqui!
Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: m.v2]
    #7545459 - 10/22/07 12:59 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry madtown, learyfan's right. Thompson went to an annual gathering. One of the leaders of that chapter started beating on his girlfriend. The Hell's Angels were aware that a book was being written about them; in fact, Thompson had ridden with them before to do a small article, and they appreciated the way he wrote and allowed him to continue to ride with them so he could publish a book. Thompson had not finished the book at this time, so there could not be a dispute over publication/ financial rights, especially since.... I can't explain this anymore, it's late, anyway, THEY KNEW HE WAS WRITING THE BOOK. They were fine with that.

So this guy's beating on his girlfriend, and Thompson gets pissed/ sees a chance to be a hero, the dude and his friends pound the shit out of him and out of respect do not kill him. They then escort him out of the conference and tell him he'd better leave.

BTW I just saw an interview the other day about these events, the people in attendance as well as Thompson confirmed this version and didn't say anything about a publication dispute.

--------------------
While there is a lower class, I am in it
While there is a criminal element, I am of it
While there is a soul in prison, I am not free.

Eugene V Debs

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: kriminalelement]
    #7545754 - 10/22/07 04:50 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

I'll be damn.  Thanks guys.  Maybe my brain isn't so pot addled after all.  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7546434 - 10/22/07 11:23 AM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe I am mistaken.

It would not be the first time.

I will have to check the book when I get home.

Will let ya'll know. Maybe what he states in the book is different from his recollection in later years...

--------------------

InvisibledeadHead321
Stranger

#7546784 - 10/22/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

ya check the book..i read it over the summer.

i believe the incidents being discussed were two seperate incidents....
the end of the book when he gets stomped def. had to do with publication of the book and royalties.

--------------------
"They call it a trip because it takes you places"
~TC

All i know is something like a bird within her sang/ All i know she sang a little while and then flew on/Tell me all that you know, i'll show you snow and rain.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: deadHead321]
    #7546790 - 10/22/07 12:51 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

That was my recollection...

--------------------

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#7546834 - 10/22/07 01:03 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

Mine as well...

But I do remember both instances.

--------------------

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hunter S. Thompson on the cover of the new Rolling Stone [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #7547008 - 10/22/07 01:54 PM (16 years, 4 months ago)

is this the issue you're talking about?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale