Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepmsskg
Horticulturalist

question about silica gel dessicants? open or no
    #7542010 - 10/21/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Do I open the bag of silica gel or do i leave it in the bag. and what if I keep it in a shoe box in the back with a hole cut out on one end of it and a fan blowing in the shoe box. Mushrooms between fan and silica gel?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
Re: question about silica gel dessicants? open or no [Re: pmsskg]
    #7542028 - 10/21/07 09:46 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Fan drying works decent, but it will take a lot longer. A dehydrator is much better than drying using a fan and desiccant. However, to answer your question, you could use your setup as described. You basically need to have air moving the moisture to a device that will absorb it.

In your setup, the moist air will be moved away from the mushrooms with a fan and captured by the desiccant. Should work fine. As far as the bag is concerned, I'm not sure what you mean by opening it. If you have those little bags of desiccant they will have perforated holes in them, but you really need an open source if you have any appreciable amount.

I suggest you get down to Home Depot/Lowes and pick up a small cup of Damp Rid. Theses have enough desiccant in them to do the job and the cups are small enough to fit inside a tub. Shouldn't cost more than $3.00 for a cup and they will last for months.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
Re: question about silica gel dessicants? open or no *DELETED* [Re: pmsskg]
    #7542034 - 10/21/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Chemy

Reason for deletion: Reason for deletion:

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
Re: question about silica gel dessicants? open or no [Re: Chemy]
    #7542159 - 10/21/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chemy said:
You could just use the fan to blow air over the material you're drying.

In that scenario you would definitely need open air to aid in evaporation. It's very hard to fan dry mushrooms in open air without desiccant to aid in absorption. I use fan drying to shrink them down for placement in the dehydrator, but I very rarely get 100% cracker dry without my dehydrator.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: question about silica gel dessicants? open or no [Re: Wronguy]
    #7542254 - 10/21/07 10:55 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

what you'll want to do is goto a crafts store and buy a bag of silica gel desiccant, preferably the kind with indicator crystals so you can reuse it over and over and over, cuz you deff will when you get a good many mushies and still haven't gotten a dehydrator xD
people use it for drying flowers and such

then you'll want to fan dry your mushies for a day or two until they shrivel up, then put them into any sort of sealed container with an open desiccant well
i suggest a bucket with a dish of desiccant in it and some sort of grate (tinfoil works wonders)
then press'n'seal the top

:smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract