Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: Temperature Question? [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7538365 - 10/20/07 06:34 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry guys I'm still a little confused.

Massage until I cant see any white, but don't smash?

When I spawn my cakes I break them up and mash them as much as possible. I don't want to do it the same when I re-break it?

I don't know If I'm using this word correctly but... When I'm massage it should I be trying to keep all hyphae intact? What I mean by that is should I be actively trying to keep mycelium connections intact?

Later,

-CT

Edited by ChristianTaylor5 (10/20/07 06:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Temperature Question? [Re: ChristianTaylor5]
    #7538457 - 10/20/07 07:55 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

During colonization it helps to break up the existing mini-colonies and redistribute them evenly across the entire container. To do this, you're going to use your hands to move the material around in the bag until it's all relatively evenly distributed. I think the "don't smash" imperative is just implying not to bash the bag against a 2"x4" (which is what you would do with a jar) to get the job done.

Use the bag as a guide, if you're damaging the bag to get the job done, you're being too rough. Otherwise, be as rough as you like, they won't mind. You'll do this one more time in about a week from now after it's about 70% colonized as well.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Temperature Question? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7538578 - 10/20/07 08:52 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

When I'm massage it should I be trying to keep all hyphae intact? What I mean by that is should I be actively trying to keep mycelium connections intact?

No. You want to break it up and mix it around. With grain jars, you bang the hell out of them against a tire to break them up. With bags, it's easier to use your fingers. Break up the chunks of colonized areas and mix them with the uncolonized areas. Simple.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: Temperature Question? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7538659 - 10/20/07 09:25 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Alright. I got it now. Thanks guys for clearing that up.

For the record, I use my hands to break up the cakes, I have never hit them with a 2' by 4' or drove over them or anything like that lol. Im just joking about the driving over them thing RR, I realize that isn't what you said.

I just poke each little broken piece with my thumbs through the bag very aggressively until everything is broken up into little tiny pieces. It takes a shit ton of time but I thought this is what you were supposed to do, I had never heard of these other, more aggressive sounding methods. I was thinking of using a meat grinder next time around, under very sterile conditions of course.

Take it easy guys, and thanks for all the great advice. If you guys got anything to say about the meat grinder idea then please do.

Later,

-CT

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Temperature Question? [Re: ChristianTaylor5]
    #7538670 - 10/20/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

If you guys got anything to say about the meat grinder idea then please do.

Don't do it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineChristianTaylor5
Mammal
Male

Re: Temperature Question? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7539139 - 10/20/07 12:29 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Alright.

Thanks a lot guys.

Take it easy.

-CT

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies