Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Issues with the ego
    #752225 - 07/16/02 09:54 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: World Spirit]
    #752605 - 07/17/02 05:29 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

By my own beliefs I have been born and born again. I need to die one more time. My ego needs to be crushed one more time. I?m scared how far I?ll let this go, but in the end, what will I have lost but pride? I may gain a joy and a peace that I was pathetically trying to obtain intellectually or otherwise.

*cheers*

Great post. Attempting to exit the game of ?one-upmanship.? I?m on the same road man. I feel your fear- for me I wonder if losing the ego (acceptance of inherent existence of self and selfishness on many levels) would ultimately alienate me from those about whom I care. Buddhism makes so much intuitive sense though- the less you attach yourself to something (like the self and what you would ideally like it to be) the less you will suffer when you realize you don?t have it.

I recommend ?The Book: The Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are? by Alan Watts to explore these ideas further.

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Offlinedubt
Tao Teh Shroom

Loc: Florida
    #752724 - 07/17/02 06:31 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Tao Teh Ching by Lao Tzu. Try to get "The Complete Works of Lao Tzu." It is the best translation I have read. You can find it online but the translations only uncover the most superficial meanings of the text. The translator of this version, Hua Ching NI, hermits on a mountain and actually practices the art. It is published by Seven Star communications. ISBN 0-937064-00-9. Every Barnes & Noble in my area has one so you may want to go check there. It's definately worth picking up.

--------------------
I'ts all a fucking lie! Everything written by me is fictional. I don't even exist!

Anonymous

#752824 - 07/17/02 07:11 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

For me the issue of the ego abated slowly. From your posts I think I once was were you are now.

The struggle with the ego is a tricky battle. Sometimes when you think you've won you've lost.

Some people address your issue with the maxim, "Let go and let God", if that helps.

It was only when I was much older than you that I started to realize how dependent I was upon the mercy of Providence, if you will. Our lives are truly not our own for we cannot add one inch to our height or change a gray hair to our natural color. Each person has gifts and talents but those things are not the measure of a person. A wise friend once told me that, "How you treat others is who you are."

So relax (easy to say, isn't it) and enjoy these precious moments you have been given. None of us know how many we have.

Peace,

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: dubt]
    #752827 - 07/17/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Just go with the flow. Trying will take longer ;]

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #753162 - 07/17/02 09:19 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

enter-
Yeah, you might as well read the aforementioned Watts book. Chapter 2 is my favorite. Seeing as how you seem to have a very Christian belief system, some of the book may seem like a challenge to you personally (especially his conclusion)... don't take it that way. Watts makes many good points, but they're more like questions.

Some words...:
Many times our initial perception of something (people, situations, books...) is incorrect. The danger lies in running on that initial misperception and expecting a good outcome.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: ]
    #753164 - 07/17/02 09:19 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Anonymous

#753222 - 07/17/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It depends upon how one defines "Christian", not to be elusive. I have had a born-again experience if that is what you mean.

For me the ego is best understood in terms of interaction with the world in general and people in specific around us. It evidences itself in many ways; the addiction to being right; the need to be better than someone; being intensely introspective, etc.

A gauge I use to watch my ego is to notice the internal strife or uneasiness or upsettedness that I have when another person acts in a certain way. I am not talking about when I might see a person being hurt by someone else but by a person talking about something or doing something that causes such a feeling inside me. If a person is derisive in mocking a truth do I become defensive? If so, why? The truth does not need to be defended by me. I might as well defend the sun rising and setting.

I normally do not argue with those who are caught in the ego. They only want to be right. It makes them feel good or superior to others. Of course I was once like that myself but after living a while I began to realize that I have gifts that are superior to others and I have deficits that are worse than others.

The constant striving to "get somewhere" and "do something", to make my mark upon humanity, was a source of enjoyment and a good cause to spend my energies on. These days life is easier because I let others make their mistakes and let the fools of this world argue amongst themselves without "my precious knowledge". If that makes any sense.

All of us need meaning in our lives. But there are good ways to find it and bad ways to find it.

If you wish answers to specific questions that are not categorical you may PM me. I am a somewhat private person and do not like to post in a place where those who weren''t meant to see what I have written will see it.

Does this help at all?

Offlinechemkid
Be excellent toeach other

Loc: Between a rock and a hard...
    #753609 - 07/17/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

This sounds awfully existential to me. There is a difference between not being conceited, bloated with vanity, or letting yourself get close to someone. Baisically it seems like you're saying never get attached and you'll never get hurt. This is definitely a strategy but it is a cop out. "Life is a Risk". The whole point of life is to live, love, hate, happiness, sadness, smiles, cries, etc. Thats how you become a better person. True if you never risk anything you never lose anything but the pitfall is that you also never learn or gain anything which is why we are here.

--------------------
An open mind is the greatest journey of all.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #754367 - 07/17/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Man, you are way, way too hard on yourself. And what's worse, is when someone tries to help you chill, and you can't believe that it's OK to follow their advice. Like...there must be something wrong with this person, 'cause if he realized how things really are, he too would be wringing his hands on the edge of his bed and staring into wide-awake darkness. Like...it's just incomprehensible that God wants us to 'have life, and have it abundantly,' and that we are enjoined to be joyful; and most of all and the most unbelievable thing of it all is that YOU ARE OK THE WAY YOU ARE AND EVERYTHING IS PERFECT THE WAY IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are free to BE ECSTATIC! This is actually what God wants from us and this is the best WAY to manifest the perfection of God's love. In ecstasy, we can much more easily Love. The whole world conspires to bring us down. Don't join their ranks by bringing yourself down.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #755060 - 07/18/02 12:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

markos, you haven't been reading _the lazy man's guide to enlightenment_ again, have you?

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: gnrm23]
    #755142 - 07/18/02 02:34 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Er, uh, no. I haven't read that book. Did I absorb some of it through the aether and say something good?

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: Issues with the ego [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #756729 - 07/18/02 03:20 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

That was the best out of character Markos response that I have ever read, I'm proud of you.

But what's really weird are cycles of 1.) exposing insecurities, misery, asking for help ->. 2.) self-righteous "i'm no beginner at this" defensiveness ->3.) mania satori "i'm enlightened, here's how!" 4.) crash!
i only witness this cycle virtually, never in real life.... most people don't want to get real heavy with their friends and bring them down - healthy friends just become active role models, all they really offer is to share their healthy liveliness. perhaps that's the problem with philosophy forums, it's just too heavy to deal with when essential "don't worry, be happy" receptivity is all out of whack.
love n' blessings, cj

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order