Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Save My Salvia (update 03/07)
    #7517709 - 10/14/07 10:11 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I recently transplanted this cutting, thinking it's growing too slow (if at all) due to being root bound. It's been about a week now and I don't see any changes.

The leaves are rough and one is drooping. It was growing a new node in the center but that seems to be stunted (turned black at the tip and stopped growing).

It is in a humidity tent and gets misted daily. ~18 hours of fluorescent lighting daily, but the light is weak and probably too far away.

Edited by Quake3 (03/07/08 07:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: Quake3]
    #7517835 - 10/14/07 10:38 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

ok first that small cutting could be in a 10 ml vial and still have enough roots to grow,i have had some salvia get 4 plus feet and be in a little 3-4 inch pot before, maybe you are overwatering?

when growing salvia, if you change to a bigger pot and you dont have a nice root system it can hold/keep the water in the pot, not letting it dry out and causing root rot.

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#7517868 - 10/14/07 10:44 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

my hps burned the tip, its got a gnarly root system though, they can easily drop all their leafs and have enough energy in the 2" stem to grow new shoots.

the tip will die back and two new shoots should pop out, it might look something like this guy

this wasson specimen arrived from a vendor with a dead tip, and sprouted two new branches a few days later after the droop faded.
its the same plant cloned over again (and again, and again etc) that you have there.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: CptnGarden]
    #7518364 - 10/15/07 04:05 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

ive had lots of salvia plants in a much worse state than that which recovered fine...

salvia doesnt need much light so i doubt that is the problem...
u are probably over watering and misting too much... if its in high humidity there is no need to mist it daily at all...

let the soil dry out between waterings...

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #7518823 - 10/15/07 09:47 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.

Smaller pot, let soil dry between watering, keep humidity high, ~70F temp and indirect light. The only thing I have a problem with is fresh air. Air in the grow room is stagnant, and a humidity tent makes things worse.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#7519052 - 10/15/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i havent misted my sallies in a year or two, sorry i should have mentioned b4.
heres how theyve been treated:

they are in around 50% humidity, in an outdoor greenhouse thats in the shade, sometimes they get 1hr of intense sunlight.
i dont mist them anymore.
these particular ones survived being in 28deg weather last winter, and came out purple cause the cold stopped an uptake of nutrients, and smelling freezerburnt(yes that smell, yuck)
come spring they were normal, and started growing the thickest leafs ive ever seen.

I think this is a very hardy strain with good genetics and you should be ok if you give it "just" what it needs.
my first sally cutting dropped all its leafs when it first arrived, i pampered the poodle out of it and things only got worse, then i said "hey, fuck you" and put it outside without a humidity tent or anything, just against the side of my house. the damn thing grew a foot tall in the following month. not that u should follow my steps lol, maybe stop misting it, just air out the container twice a day with FRESH air, and mist when it looks like its getting dry in there.

that "rough" feeling of the leafs might just be its thickness, it does make the texture seem more profound.

its definitely going to need some fresh air, moist soil isolated from nature with stagnant air = mold.

70deg-74deg was the most productive temp range ive ever seen for salvia.

should be good to go, update us as she grows.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: CptnGarden]
    #7799273 - 12/25/07 08:30 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. Here's an update:

Humidity is around 50-55%
Only light source are two fluorescents. One "plant light" I picked up at Home Depot, and the other a regular standalone fluorescent (much better than the one designed for plants). I'm looking for a cheap upgrade to this. Can't switch to HID yet. On a budget. Any suggestions?

After your replies in the OP, I transplanted to a smaller pot. The plant is doing fantastic, but the brown spots have been appearing on the leaves lately, and the two largest shoots are half-brown. This was likely due to an abrupt change in misting - I stopped cold turkey. I have now began misting again, gradually decreasing the frequency. Hopefully that'll eliminate this browning problem.

(Sorry! There's nothing I hate worse than blurry pics. I kept delaying writing an update for this thread just because I procrastinated taking better pics.)

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7833623 - 01/04/08 09:10 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I've noticed no change at all in the past 4 days. There are two tiny shoots at the top of the plant that have not grown at all.

The plant was wilting so I watered it, a few hours later it sprang back to life.. that was 4 days ago, and there is still no change. Nothing negative nor positive, and no change in the environment.

Any ideas?

Offlinegilrand
wannabesomething
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sub Arctic
    #7834742 - 01/05/08 08:49 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Patience :smile:

--------------------
//Gilrand

Invisibleplaywithguns
Sporophore

Re: Save My Salvia [Re: gilrand]
    #7834778 - 01/05/08 09:09 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

It really is a tough plant. If you look at mine you'll see it has always looked kinda ragged but it still grows in the end. When the leaves drop, I collect and press them.

The best advice is to water it once the soil dries. It's fail safe. Once you learn your plants a little more you will be able to spot exactly when it starts to droop once the soil dries out. Then you will know to give it a nice thorough watering. I prefer less frequent, thorough watering as opposed to frequent small waterings.

And above all
what gilrand said^^^

--------------------
My Garden

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: gilrand]
    #7836727 - 01/05/08 06:09 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'm patient. The thing that alarmed me was that it was growing at a constant rate for two months, but seems 90% slower (if it isn't stagnant) now.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, they're positive. I was probably alarmed over nothing.

I ordered a 400W HPS (not hortilux, unfortunately). How is this for Salvia? I know it prefers MH, but I didn't get the light for Salvia. I'll do a test run by shading the plant and monitoring it closely, making sure it doesn't burn (chrome reflector).

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #7837364 - 01/05/08 09:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

my Salvia almost died on me. it sent up a few shoots at soil level just as it was about to die. at the time I wasnt keeping it moist enough and when it sent up the shoots I put a clear plastic cup over it for humidity. now it is doing great and it outgrew the cup so I use a plastic bag. in the pics you can see the big brown dead stem....

oh and Quake... It was worse off than your pics in your first post

Edited by cpw1971 (01/05/08 09:39 PM)

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia [Re: cpw1971]
    #7897926 - 01/18/08 03:47 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Your plant looks great. I like the color and leafage near the bottom.

Starting a few hours ago, I put my plant beneath a 400 watt MH. It should flourish, as I had it ONLY on two 23 watt fluorescents. It's not directly under the HID, I have it shaded by a houseplant.

I'll continue posting updates.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia (update 01/23) [Re: Quake3]
    #7917796 - 01/22/08 10:37 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Update as of 01/23/08
Bag with holes in it over plant to keep in humidity. Stays about 3 feet away from being directly beneath a 400w MH (18hr on, 6hr off). Temp is ~70-75F

The browning on those older leaves is getting worse.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7968024 - 02/02/08 09:57 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

@ 02/02:

I have the plant "shaded" by a paper towel underneath a 400w MH. Problem is that growth is VERY slow. It gets slower as the plant gets older.

Overwatering? Fert? Humidity? Heat? Should I unshade it?

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #7968131 - 02/02/08 10:34 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I think Sally KNOWS  it's really winter up there in Canada, and she's waiting 'till spring to flourish, regardless of what you do with her environment:smirk:.At least thats what my sally told me...That plant looks fine. My sallys and cuttings share the living room with me this time of year, 14 hrs 100W HPS, inside temp between 50 and 70 F, very low humidity, and their growth has slowed down some. I'm with Sally on this one, I can't wait till Spring...

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
Re: Save My Salvia (update 01/23) [Re: vinsue]
    #7968195 - 02/02/08 11:05 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

it looks like your leaves have dirt all over them, which can carry fungi,deasies, and bugs.
also your soil looks super wet, it seems like your drowning it with water. its good to let them dry out but not to were they are wilting before you water them, also water when the lights are just coming on NOT when there off this can creat fungal problems

remeber RH 65-70%+ temps in the 70'sF+ NOT overfertilizing+ leting them dry out +addaquip ventalation =

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
Re: Save My Salvia (update 01/23) [Re: flushme]
    #7968277 - 02/02/08 11:28 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Flush, your plant is growing sideways...:smirk:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
Re: Save My Salvia (update 01/23) [Re: vinsue]
    #7968315 - 02/02/08 11:43 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

lol my bad

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Save My Salvia (update 03/07) [Re: Quake3]
    #8117414 - 03/07/08 07:27 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

Update as of 03/07/08:

Plant was repotted and humidity bumped up to 100% via perlite and a bag. It's doing great.

Root growing through the perlite

You might think the plant looked better before, but this is how it looked a few weeks ago:

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: Save My Salvia (update 03/07) [Re: Quake3]
    #8117469 - 03/07/08 07:45 PM (16 years, 25 days ago)

mhhm shes got some good new growth

you slowly acclimating her now that she healthier

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order