Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
Neck-Ties: What the hell?
    #7513866 - 10/13/07 10:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Has anyone given a second thought as to what a neck-tie simply is? Its a piece of clothe you put around your neck that dangles down to your belt loop. I've thought about this while tripping, and i just could not for the life of me, understand how a neck-tie became a socially accepted thing. How did the neck-tie evolve into what it is? Did some guy with a scarf hang it down from his neck one day and go "whoa! this would look great with a blazer!"

Some one please explain to me how this came to be.

It just baffles me. Is anyone else here on the same page as me?

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Drewwyann]
    #7513870 - 10/13/07 10:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah man.. it just doesn't make sense.

--------------------

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Shroomism]
    #7513896 - 10/13/07 10:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

is there sarcasm in there? :snub:

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
    #7513932 - 10/13/07 10:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

First off, both of your avatars are great. 2nd, I've wondered the same thing, although I do like to wear one from time to time.

Great question.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibleCaptainH13
Scum
 User Gallery

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: whattheheck]
    #7513941 - 10/13/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinekosmic_charlie
Truckin' in style
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep Elem
    #7513960 - 10/13/07 10:46 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's no coincidence that they resemble a noose. Thank God I never have to wear one to work.

--------------------

Goin' where the water tastes like wine.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
    #7513972 - 10/13/07 10:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i've always assumed they were a left-over from the days when collars had to be attached to your shirt?

--------------------

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: CaptainH13]
    #7515640 - 10/14/07 12:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thank ya!!!!

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #7515779 - 10/14/07 01:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

I've often thought the same thing about getting pieces of metal put through various body parts...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinenolongerinuse
Male User Gallery

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #7515788 - 10/14/07 01:18 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

neck ties are there to tell if someone is drunk or not. Those of us with a bit of the creature in us will have a loose distressed necktie. While those of us ready for a funeral will have a clean dressed one.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7515822 - 10/14/07 01:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

I've often thought the same thing about getting pieces of metal put through various body parts...

True enough I guess. Except that body piercing... dates back thousands of years in cultures around the world for a variety of reasons. The ancient Egyptians were pierced. The Mayas and Aztecs pierced themselves to make themselves look more fierce to their enemies. In South America woman pierced their lips to look more attractive. In the Middle East nose piercings were common in woman. Roman's pierced their nipples to signify their strength and virility. Gladitorial slaves had the heads of the penis pierced to prevent injury and to prevent them from having sex without the owner's consent. Tribes all throughout the world have used piercings for thousands of years as part of their magickal ceremonies.

Neckties... however... are a very recent phenomena, a product of corporate America, (with many similarities to a noose) and serve no purpose (imo) except to cut off circulation to the neck and make you look like a tool.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7515854 - 10/14/07 01:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Regardless of whatever mystical properties you assign to your pieces of metal, both piercings and neck-ties are still 100% physically useless social identifiers people use.

Its just a way to mark your "tribe", whether it be tattooed non-conformists or money-making Wall St. types...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
    #7515875 - 10/14/07 01:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

After a long hard day at the office you can use the Neck Tie to hang yourself in the closet. Its the buisness option for some.

--------------------
Retiro Equipaje. Mas uno por favor Cerveza, es mas fina. Psalm 706:6

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7515876 - 10/14/07 01:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Suppose you're right about that. 'sept one tribe lives in harmony with the Earth and the others ravage it for selfish reasons.

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7515887 - 10/14/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Your opinion, obviously.

I'm sure most of the people who run environmental cleanups and ecological organizations all over the planet wear neck-ties. That doesnt make them bad people.

And conversely, there are plenty of tattooed and pierced meth freaks pouring drano and anhydrous ammonia into the crik behind their trailer.

Bad people come in all shapes, colors, and yes, even clothing preferences.

Dont be so close minded.

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
    #7515888 - 10/14/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I dunno but I have this black suit, I wear a black shirt under it, and I have two bright ass yellow ties.

I got laid by some Canadian bitch on vacation because of that suit.

Ties make me fucking adorable.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7515889 - 10/14/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I just hate neck ties, so I don't wear them.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio Flag
    #7515899 - 10/14/07 01:51 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, it's weird that neck ties are worn, but I still dig 'em.
So what if there's no purpose to them, doesn't mean I shouldn't wear them. Seems like a foolish reason to portray them in a negative light.

--------------------
!

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#7515928 - 10/14/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
The ancient Egyptians were pierced. The Mayas and Aztecs pierced themselves to make themselves look more fierce to their enemies. In South America woman pierced their lips to look more attractive. In the Middle East nose piercings were common in woman. Roman's pierced their nipples to signify their strength and virility. Gladitorial slaves had the heads of the penis pierced to prevent injury and to prevent them from having sex without the owner's consent. Tribes all throughout the world have used piercings for thousands of years as part of their magickal ceremonies.

Neckties... however... are a very recent phenomena, a product of corporate America, (with many similarities to a noose) and serve no purpose (imo) except to cut off circulation to the neck and make you look like a tool.

Do you have any idea how batshit nuts you are?

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: TheCow]
    #7515951 - 10/14/07 02:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:
The ancient Egyptians were pierced. The Mayas and Aztecs pierced themselves to make themselves look more fierce to their enemies. In South America woman pierced their lips to look more attractive. In the Middle East nose piercings were common in woman. Roman's pierced their nipples to signify their strength and virility. Gladitorial slaves had the heads of the penis pierced to prevent injury and to prevent them from having sex without the owner's consent. Tribes all throughout the world have used piercings for thousands of years as part of their magickal ceremonies.

QFT

Anyone with piercings except a female with two on the ear is a tool.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7515954 - 10/14/07 02:10 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Not to mention about half of the things he mentioned about piercings were purely aesthetic or status reasons, no different than what a neck tie is for. It's an extremely flawed argument he's put forth.

--------------------
!

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: jewunit]
    #7515982 - 10/14/07 02:18 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

He's just hating because he can't pull it off like we can when he's a peirced up punk. :tongue2:

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery

#7515994 - 10/14/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:
Quote:

Shroomism said:

:handth:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7515995 - 10/14/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TheCow said:

Yes. I like it that way thankyouverymuch. Thank you for the astute observation.

--------------------

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #7516076 - 10/14/07 02:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ties look suave. Thats it.

Shoulder length hair + suit 'n tie = super suave. :grin:

Also, if you have a cheap tie, you can stash a small amount of bud in the end of it, at the bottom, theres a convenient little pocket thing (used to stash bud up there in school :laugh: .. as we had to wear blazers and a tie)

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineJunkFood
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: NYC
    #7516110 - 10/14/07 02:54 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
Not to mention about half of the things he mentioned about piercings were purely aesthetic or status reasons, no different than what a neck tie is for. It's an extremely flawed argument he's put forth.

Yup.

OfflineJunkFood
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7516127 - 10/14/07 03:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

They look stupid when they reach down to the belt — then they look like they're just dangling from your neck; they should look prominent: They should stop at like your belly-button.

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: JunkFood]
    #7516178 - 10/14/07 03:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JunkFood said:
They look stupid when they reach down to the belt — then they look like they're just dangling from your neck; they should look prominent: They should stop at like your belly-button.

Uh, what the fuck do you sag your pants when you wear a suit? Your pants should be worn just below the belly button, not on the hips like a pair of jeans.

OfflineJunkFood
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Rustifer]
    #7516195 - 10/14/07 03:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

My hips are just below my belly-button; and I wear every pair of pants the same way. And how high or low your pants are is irrelevant, because all I'm saying is that no matter how high or low your pants are, I don't think your tie should dangle down to your belt.

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

#7516203 - 10/14/07 03:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I dont see neckties in a positive or negetive light really. They are just kinda there, and they confuse me is all.

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: JunkFood]
    #7516229 - 10/14/07 03:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JunkFood said:
My hips are just below my belly-button; and I wear every pair of pants the same way. And how high or low your pants are is irrelevant, because all I'm saying is that no matter how high or low your pants are, I don't think your tie should dangle down to your belt.

I think you are incorrect, and need to pull your pants up if you ever wear a suit. Or you could just look like Dilbert, your tie shouldn't be more than a couple inches above the belt.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #7516624 - 10/14/07 04:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

That, or he thinks short ties look good, which they do not. You look like a fucking factory foreman piece of trash when you wear them like that.
I wouldn't put it past JunkFood, he has some odd (in my mind) opinions on things, especially aesthetic things.

--------------------
!

OfflineEssen
Vagina
Male User Gallery

#7516750 - 10/14/07 05:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've always thought that same thing, among other useless things we have. Lawns come up most often. Why does everyone need a perfect fucking lawn. It's just grass. There are people that purposely don't walk on their lawns so it doesn't get messed up. I'm just guessing but I'd bet that we waste enough fresh water on our lawns annually to keep a few small countries hydrated for years. While there are people in countries that have to walk miles to get dirty water, we pour ours on the ground for no real reason, and in some cases, play in it. That's pretty fucked if you think about it.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Essen]
    #7516778 - 10/14/07 05:37 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, and wearing clothes you like, and driving cars that are visually appealing, and listening to music, and using air freshener, and buying nice sheets, and I could go on forever, are all useless too, right?
People do things to appeal their senses, I don't see why everyone always is so against that kinda shit.

--------------------
!

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: Essen]
    #7516805 - 10/14/07 05:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Essen said:
I've always thought that same thing, among other useless things we have. Lawns come up most often. Why does everyone need a perfect fucking lawn. It's just grass. There are people that purposely don't walk on their lawns so it doesn't get messed up. I'm just guessing but I'd bet that we waste enough fresh water on our lawns annually to keep a few small countries hydrated for years. While there are people in countries that have to walk miles to get dirty water, we pour ours on the ground for no real reason, and in some cases, play in it. That's pretty fucked if you think about it.

I can't stand people like this. Do you honestly thing badly about someone because they like to enjoy nice things?

OfflineJunkFood
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7516975 - 10/14/07 06:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:
That, or he thinks short ties look good, which they do not. You look like a fucking factory foreman piece of trash when you wear them like that.
I wouldn't put it past JunkFood, he has some odd (in my mind) opinions on things, especially aesthetic things.

:piratebattle:

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

#7517330 - 10/14/07 08:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jewunit said:

:lol:

OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

#7517340 - 10/14/07 08:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rustifer said:
Quote:

Essen said:

I can't stand people like this. Do you honestly thing badly about someone because they like to enjoy nice things?

A past neighbor of mine used to mow his lawn twice a day so he could have the proper perpendicular lines.

OfflineSampaJasli
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #7517462 - 10/14/07 08:59 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

most social customs are arbitrary..
or obsolete vestiges from our past

--------------------

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

#7517479 - 10/14/07 09:04 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Fuck suits, fuck neckties, such WEIRD, UNCOMFORTABLE, DULL clothing !

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: SampaJasli]
    #7517486 - 10/14/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Holy crap this thread took a turn.

There used to be quite a few old folks in the neighborhood who would jump all over us if we stepped on their lawns when we were growing up. Maybe this was the point of lawns? To look at?

I don't know, I love the feeling and smell of grass. Especially fresh cut.

--------------------

OfflineHybridFlash
I never lie.
    #7517494 - 10/14/07 09:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Chumps.

OfflineSampaJasli
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: HybridFlash]
    #7517538 - 10/14/07 09:20 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

yeah lawn mowing has always been a source of confusion and annoyance for me, especially when my dad used to get on my ass to do the mowing.
it is such retarded bullshit, you can get fined for letting your grass grow too high! I find it so hard to comprehend that.
I'd be interested to know where lawn mowing originated, it would seem like a fairly recent phenomenon to me but who knows

--------------------

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
Re: Neck-Ties: What the hell? [Re: SampaJasli]
    #7519874 - 10/15/07 03:08 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Mowing the lawns started in Britian and America brought it over here.

--------------------
Retiro Equipaje. Mas uno por favor Cerveza, es mas fina. Psalm 706:6

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies