Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Aspect Ratio with burnt DVD's
    #7507465 - 10/11/07 01:12 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So, I have started burning DVD's and I have run into some issues when I play them back on TVs. I have a 37 inch Toshiba flat screen that has a 16:9 aspect ratio. I will burn a 16:9 DVD with the default windows vista burner and the picture shows up a lot smaller than it should. It has black bars on top and bottom of the screen as well as on the sides. When I play the same aspect ratio on my Sony Wega 50 inch flat screen (same aspect ratio) only black bars on the side are present. Obviously I dont think this should be happening since regular non high def DVD's display full screen with both DVD players and TVs.

When I burn 4:3 aspect ratio it shows up fine on my Toshibe 37 inch but is zoomed in on the 50 inch Sony despite me putting the TV setting to normal (meaning no zoom or fill effects). Any idea on why this is happening?

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Aspect Ratio with burnt DVD's [Re: AaronEvil]
    #7507854 - 10/11/07 06:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> Any idea on why this is happening?
> with ... windows vista

The general cause of your problem sounds to me like a mismatch between aspect ratio setting and the letterbox/pan & scan setting on the DVD.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Aspect Ratio with burnt DVD's [Re: Seuss]
    #7508845 - 10/11/07 02:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

After reading a lot of stuff online, would it matter if I am burning an AVI ripped DVD to a DVD vs. burning .vob files? It seems like that is the extention everyone says to use. Ive never heard of it but I am guessing that is the thing with the video_ts and audio_ts folders I have seen in the past.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Aspect Ratio with burnt DVD's [Re: AaronEvil]
    #7509120 - 10/11/07 04:24 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The video_ts directory contains the DVD-Video zone in the volume space of a DVD. The audio_ts directory is used for DVD-Audio disks (not audio on a DVD-Video) and can safely be ignored for what you are doing. The DVD-Video zone contains a VMG and up to 99 VTSs. The VMG is 2 or 3 files and each VTS is at least 3 files and no more than 12 files. The VMG contains the VMGI, the VOBS for menu, and the backup VMGI. Each VTS contains a VTSI, VOBS for menu, VOBS for title, and a backup VTSI. The VOBS contain the actual audio/video/subp data while the VMGI/VTSI contain navigation data to facilitate playback.

There are several fields that must be set correctly to get proper playback with respect to aspect ratio. The VTSM_V_ATR field in the VTSI specifies aspect ratio of either 4:3 or 16:9. If the aspect ratio is set to 4:3, then the display mode must be left undefined (11b). If the aspect ratio is set to 16:0, then the display mode can be both pan-scan & letter box, pan-scan only, or letterbox only. You also have to correctly set the source picture resolution, one of 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, or 352x240 (525/60 system). Finally, you must set the source picture letterboxed field to either letterboxed or not letterboxed.

If any of these fields are set incorrectly, you end up with a picture that displays incorrectly in some cases. (There are like fields in the VMGM_V_ATR entry as well.) To make matters even more complex, there are matching fields in the VOBS to maintain mpeg compatibility.

You cannot directly burn an AVI as a DVD-Video without transcoding the AVI to mpeg and then authoring the DVD-Video data from the mpeg (creating the physical layout described above).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Aspect Ratio with burnt DVD's [Re: Seuss]
    #7509201 - 10/11/07 04:54 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I wonder then if the program I am using automatically converts the video. The only option it gives me to edit is the actual aspect ratio of either 4:3 or 16:9.

Are their any programs that you can suggest(open source is always good)?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

General Interest >> Science and Technology