Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecrod321
Stranger
psilocybe silvatica
    #7507449 - 10/10/07 11:03 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I found these at my local community college. I am pretty sure it is psilocybe silvatica seeing as how it matches the description below. Purple to brown spore print on several of the caps, came from woodchips. please let me know if you think my findings are correct.
It was raining today and the caps showed

Cap: 0.8-2.5 cm broad. Obtusely conic to campanulate, and often with an acute umbo. Tawny dark brown when moist, fading to pale yellowish brown or grayish brown. Surface smooth, viscid when moist from a thin gelatinous pellicle that is barely separable, if at all.

Gills: Attachment adnate to adnexed, close to subdistant, narrow to moderately broad. Colour dull grayish brown to cinnamon brown to smoky brown at maturity, with the edges remaining whitish.

Stem: 20-80 mm long by 1-3 mm thick. Equal to slightly enlarged at the base, brittle, tubular, and somewhat flexuous. Pallid to brownish beneath a whitish fibrillose covering. Partial veil poorly developed, cortinate, thin to obscure, and soon absent.

Microscopic features: Spores dark purplish brown in deposit, 6-9.5 by 4-5.5 microns from 4-spored basidia; sometimes 2-spored. Pleurocystidia absent. Cheilocystidia 24-40 by 4.4-8.8 microns, fusoid ventricose to lageniform, with a long flexuous neck, 1.6-2.2 microns thick.

Habit, habitat and distribution: Gregarious but not cespitose on wood debris or on wood chips or in well decayed conifer substratum in the fall. Known from Ontario, the Pacific Northwest, Michigan, New York and northern Europe.

Above description copied from (Peck) Singer and Smith, (only because it fit exactly to my find)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: crod321]
    #7507487 - 10/10/07 11:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I have never Identified Silvatica so I couldn't tell ya. But if they are, nice finds.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: PsykoticRetod]
    #7507512 - 10/10/07 11:40 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

looks like psathyrella, the shape between the edge of the gills and where the gills meet the stem, especially the far right specimen on the last photo.

totaly psathyrella-like.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: CptnGarden]
    #7507519 - 10/10/07 11:43 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, they don't look like psilocybes to me. I would also be surprised if there was a seperable gelatinous pellicle on those specimens. Like Captain said, look more like a psathyrella.

--------------------

Offlinecrod321
Stranger
Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: landsnorkler]
    #7507547 - 10/11/07 12:01 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

the stem does not touch the gills at all. the picture may represent it otherwise, sorry my camera isn't very good.

i believe this picture of silvatica closely represents the gill-stem relationship.

As far as the gelatinous layer this description of how the mushrooms were when freshly picked. There was a slimy gelatinous cover when moist, and the description states that it is a thin layer, barely seperable if at all.

Cap: 0.8-2.5 cm broad. Obtusely conic to campanulate, and often with an acute umbo. Tawny dark brown when moist, fading to pale yellowish brown or grayish brown. Surface smooth, viscid when moist from a thin gelatinous pellicle that is barely separable, if at all.

I feel that this description is a very good one of how the caps were slimy, and when moist they were darkened, almost black caps as you can see in the picture.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #7507558 - 10/11/07 12:08 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Is that your picture or someone elses, because those do look potentially like silvatica. I don't mean to sound negative but the mushrooms in your first picture really, really don't look like psilocybes.

What state do you live in?

--------------------

Offlinecrod321
Stranger
    #7507571 - 10/11/07 12:13 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i live in western washington. the first pictures are mine, the other picture is someone else but they look very similar to me, so what is the difference? i also saw in a picture of silvaticas that inky black residue is coming off on their hand and that is similar to my situation.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #7507587 - 10/11/07 12:25 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

They do look similar, but many mushrooms look similar. Just try to get a closer picture of a few of your mushrooms, showing the gills, the cap surface, and the stem. And you never mentioned any blueing. Out of all those mushrooms you have there, if they were silvatica, I'm sure some would have at least some blueing on the base of the stem. I'm still pretty much convinced you do not have psilocybes, but rather psathyrella. And the black inky residue thing is rediculous. Silvaticas do not ooze black ink. It's probably just spores rubbing off on your hand that are a dark purple, and appear black. Remember, there are many other species of mushrooms with chocolate brown spore prints besides psilocybe. I really do wish that what you have are in fact psilocybes, but I think you need to do more research, and more hunting!

--------------------

Offlinecrod321
Stranger
    #7507603 - 10/11/07 12:36 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

yeah youre right there is no bluing around the base, thanks for your help. i guess i will just keep looking.

Offlinecasgoodie
weedwright
Male User Gallery

Loc: terra
    #7507605 - 10/11/07 12:38 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

those look like psathyrella. i see them in every bed of wood chips i look at, always look like potential silvaticas or pelliculosas from a distance, sorry

--------------------
TRAPPED IN LINGUISTIC CONCEPTS

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #7509009 - 10/11/07 01:47 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

You're bound to make mistakes and overlook details by matching a mushroom to a description, imo.

The better practice is to describe the mushroom on your own and work through the keys to come to an identification.

That's been my experience.

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: scout24]
    #7509269 - 10/11/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

comparing mushrooms to a good description is actually the prefered way to go, absent of having an experienced hunting partner. a detailed description will be written by somebody who knows which features are critical, helpful and will have a knack for describint them in a manner that is easy to understand or explicit, provided you know the terminilogy. as long as the reader dosen't go pretending word's they don't know must not be important, heh.

comparrison to photos seems to be what gets new hunters into trouble, and ignoring details.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: canid]
    #7509516 - 10/11/07 04:07 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

canid said:
comparing mushrooms to a good description is actually the prefered way to go, absent of having an experienced hunting partner. a detailed description will be written by somebody who knows which features are critical, helpful and will have a knack for describint them in a manner that is easy to understand or explicit, provided you know the terminilogy. as long as the reader dosen't go pretending word's they don't know must not be important, heh.

comparrison to photos seems to be what gets new hunters into trouble, and ignoring details.

I agree, using a detailed description for comparison is better than using photographs.

I find it more accurate to prepare my own list of idetifying characteristics and then compare it to the scientific description. It minimizes the possibility of construing ambiguous characteristics in favor of the target species. Granted, if you don't know which features are critical, your description won't be worth much. But isn't starting with the scientific description rather than the specimen itself like putting the cart before the horse?

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: psilocybe silvatica [Re: scout24]
    #7509550 - 10/11/07 04:19 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

no, being aware of what the significant features are is critical. if you have somebody to show you instead, then that is all the better, but if you don't know exactly what to look for, you can't know exactly what you've found. you need both, the identifying features, and the context to put them in when you have the specimen in hand.

many new people have a moment of enlightenment, when the see the mushroom they are searching for, as they realize 'oh, that's what they meant by gelatinous pellicle' or similar, and soon realize, as they find and identify more species which features are common to a genus, which help to identify the individual species, etc.

as always, you need the data and the context, but it's hard to find the context in such a case without the data to recognize it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags