Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Is the internet making kids these days more delusional?
    #7504726 - 10/10/07 09:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

What do you think? It seems like a lot of young adults (i.e. 18-21) I meet seem kind of delusional about a lot of things, most specifically their cliques (which is usually nothing more than a shared sense of fashion they think is something more). They all seem to think they're a part of this bigger thing, like sooner or later everyone's going to realize they're right and the rest of us were wrong, in some general sense.

So maybe some of you older shroomerites can enlighten me... has our culture always been this way? Do you think the internet is distorting kids' views of the world in harmful ways? If so, do you think they will grow out of it if (I don't, so long as they're plugged in)?

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: kake]
    #7504734 - 10/10/07 10:00 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

good post! i would also like to hear a response

Offlineboxcarguy07
Uno
Male User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: moon_glue]
    #7504773 - 10/10/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I dunno, but I really hope it turns around.
I don't mean to pass judgment, but it really seems like most young people are so caught up in themselves and are just really superficial. It's getting harder to find good friends, and meeting a good looking girl who's actually laid back, with high morals... that's something hard to come by.

--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:

:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: boxcarguy07]
    #7504821 - 10/10/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Only 'the kids these days' can make 'the kids these days', more delusional...

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #7504852 - 10/10/07 10:52 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I think that's normal awkward youth stuff. The internet just makes it more visible.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisibledutchmushroom
mushroom invader
Male User Gallery

Loc: Outer Space
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7504886 - 10/10/07 11:15 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

idk but if i hear the word thats hot one more time i am going va tech on everybody

peace out Dm

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill" < Grateful Dead!

The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began

GROWLIGHT KIT, 250w HPS Digital ballast, + Enhanced Spectrum bulb and Reflector Sale Or Trade!

OfflineKrystal Klear
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mushroomvilletopiatonopol...
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #7504911 - 10/10/07 11:25 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thats sexy.

--------------------
Nothing I say is meant to be taken seriously.
-Krystal

OfflineShiVersblood
VAmPiRES HELLA ❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: United States of America Flag
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: Krystal Klear]
    #7505184 - 10/10/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thats sexualy erotica

--------------------
Retiro Equipaje. Mas uno por favor Cerveza, es mas fina. Psalm 706:6

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #7505300 - 10/10/07 01:11 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kake said:
What do you think? It seems like a lot of young adults (i.e. 18-21) I meet seem kind of delusional about a lot of things, most specifically their cliques (which is usually nothing more than a shared sense of fashion they think is something more). They all seem to think they're a part of this bigger thing, like sooner or later everyone's going to realize they're right and the rest of us were wrong, in some general sense.

So maybe some of you older shroomerites can enlighten me... has our culture always been this way? Do you think the internet is distorting kids' views of the world in harmful ways? If so, do you think they will grow out of it if (I don't, so long as they're plugged in)?

This is nothing new. Its been this way forever.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisiblebukkake
Male

Loc: Classified
    #7505339 - 10/10/07 01:20 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I fit into the 18-21 range and can attest they're all idiots. I'm surrounded by them every day at a local college. The high school grads get dumber and more obnoxious each year.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: bukkake]
    #7505360 - 10/10/07 01:25 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i'm 21 - senior at university...

a lot of people are dumb, but a fair amount are smart too... it's just with the internet, we get to see videos every day starring all the dumb ones - while the smart kids silently go on to run the world :smile:

thank God i'm smart!

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: memes]
    #7505430 - 10/10/07 01:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i'm 20. i don't strictly believe in any one thing, and try to maintain a balanced and unbiased view of people. I'm good to people. I'm very open, friendly, and shareing.

I don't know why it's so hard to find good people. I don't care what hobbies, talents,pass times are shared/unshared. It's hard to find people who make an effort to be decent to one another.

Invisiblekake
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: moon_glue]
    #7506880 - 10/10/07 08:15 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

moon_glue said:
It's hard to find people who make an effort to be decent to one another.

Exactly.

suimush: Okay, so let's take it a step further and clarify. I had a feeling young people have always been dumb. But I get this sense that it used to be that eventually something clicks or changes - i.e. they get into the professional world and start making people much older / wiser than them their role models, and suddenly realize how dumb they've been acting all this time.

Nowadays, I work with people in their late twenties, early thirties, who seriously remind me of seniors in high school! Somewhat mature, but mostly naive, rude, and self-centered. Now we all know people like this... but it seems like I'm coming across more and more of them for some reason.

What I'm getting at is I realize the # of dumb people probably hasn't changed significantly. What I'm wondering, though, is if the Internet is like a HUGE reinforcer to all the dumb shit that is going on; I'm asking if the Internet is making it worse... making it harder for young people to grow up and be responsible and care about important things.

OfflineBrandNoob
The REALAmerican Hero!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Potland, OR
    #7506962 - 10/10/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know if the internet's making it worse or not, but I can tell you that the general degrading of our educational system doesn't help at all.

--------------------
All posts were channeled through the user by typing the thoughts of telepathic beings.  All photos are of paranormal origin and do not represent the physical world, as we know it.  BrandNoob shall not be held accountable for the actions of deceased or hyperdimensional individuals.

OfflineThe_Ghost
ゴースト

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: USG Ishimura Flag
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: BrandNoob]
    #7507035 - 10/10/07 08:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The internet is only as dumb as the people that fuel it. What you should look at is modern media in general. Which of course is also giving the public what it wants. Questions with a similar scope to this seem to be favored by English classes, and every time the obvious answer seem to be a broad range of easy and hard to see influences, that all add to the effect.

Offlinebonghittr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: BrandNoob]
    #7507048 - 10/10/07 08:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

honestly this age group of 15ish to 25ish is the same its always been people trying to find themselves. usually nothing more and nothing less

Bong

Edited by bonghittr (10/10/07 08:56 PM)

Invisiblekake
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is the internet making kids these days more delusional? [Re: The_Ghost]
    #7507104 - 10/10/07 09:05 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ah but there is a HUGE difference between modern media and the internet. The internet is much less driven by profit. Just look at YouTube. 99% of those people submitting videos aren't making a dime, nor do they expect to.

Besides that, consider this:

Something like a quarter of all internet users are between ages 13-18.

Now think about comments you read on forums, news sites, etc.

If (roughly) 1 in 4 of those comments are by people in that age group, well aren't we all getting a little dumber? That's like saying 1 in 4 people you talk to are in that age group.

I think you'd be shocked at how often you might listen to some anonymous person's viewpoint on the net, that in reality is some 13 year old running his mouth.

I think we all sort of make vague assumptions about the people who post content online, but I'd be very impressed if they were ever even close to accurate. So, that goes along with my point as to the Internet really driving this delusional state of people on the verge of adulthood. They're still constantly being bombared by information/media that comes from kids much younger than them... kind of always dragging them back into their youth rather than dismembering from that and actually growing up, like most adults would normally do after, say, college.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineBrandNoob
The REALAmerican Hero!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Potland, OR
    #7507171 - 10/10/07 09:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kake said:
The internet is much less driven by profit. Just look at YouTube. 99% of those people submitting videos aren't making a dime, nor do they expect to.

The people submitting the videos don't make money, but Google's making millions from the banner advertisements. The advertisers are making millions from the click-thrus. And 90% of the stuff on YouTube is commercially-made copyright infringement - the content *was* created for profit. I remember how pissed I was when "The Resident" started integrating advertisements into their weekly uploads. How many of those "Messing with Sasquatch" beef jerky commercials are on there? How many previews for action films?

--------------------
All posts were channeled through the user by typing the thoughts of telepathic beings.  All photos are of paranormal origin and do not represent the physical world, as we know it.  BrandNoob shall not be held accountable for the actions of deceased or hyperdimensional individuals.

Offlinegeedorah
CHOPPN SCIM
Male User Gallery

Loc: Close to the edge
    #7507175 - 10/10/07 09:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It's the age of Aquarius.

--------------------

Invisibleparadox_
Life as Shaun
 User Gallery

Loc: BC
    #7507209 - 10/10/07 09:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Just because someone is 13-18 doesn't make them dumb and unable to produce accurate information. Just because someone is 18-21 doesn't mean they give in to all the bullshit and 'distorted views' of the world produced by the internet. Only the ones who buy into everything they read/see on the internet rather than questioning where this information came from are being deluded. Now unfortunately the amount of gullible people is probably higher in younger age groups, but that doesn't mean they're all that foolish.

All of these stereotypes of younger people make me wonder. If I admit to being 18 will I be thought less of on these forums, or anywhere for that matter?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder