Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
What substrate do you use???
    #7498017 - 10/08/07 05:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I used straight hpoo without a caseing layer on my last grow and I was a bit disappointed. Do you guys think adding some verm or coir to the hpoo would make a big difference? I will be spawning WBS if that helps any. I know I have plenty of FAE and RH so thats not the problem.

Thanks and happy SHROOOOOOOOMING

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooter
Shroom Mongler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: With waldo.
Re: What substrate do you use??? [Re: NewFungiGrower]
    #7498458 - 10/08/07 07:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

IME, casing layers are vital to spreadable substrates(WBS,HPoo). Why don't you just case it. Go get some peat moss(seriously only $7.99 for >10lbs) and make some 50/50.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: What substrate do you use??? [Re: Pooter]
    #7498903 - 10/08/07 08:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My substrate of choice is homemade compost that I make specifically for the targeted species. I also use coir quite a bit and often mix the two 50/50 to spread them both out and make them last longer.

One of my current upcoming experiments will be to test out sugar-beet pulp as a substrate. Updates to follow on that one but if it pans out it would be another cheap, off-the-shelf (from any feed store) product that could be used as a substrate...

In terms of casing materials, even though it would be far more economical to get away from using Jiffy Mix, I still find the convenience of using it to far outweigh it's price-point disadvantage.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
Re: What substrate do you use??? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7499008 - 10/08/07 09:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I like straight hpoo. I don't add anything accept a casing layer

--------------------

OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
Re: What substrate do you use??? [Re: xhooliganx]
    #7499352 - 10/08/07 10:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

what kind of caseing layer do you use and what have been some of your results? I think if i can add some shredded straw then it would help quite a bit. Back when i got some pre pasteurized stuff from tn stud i had much better success than just got to a horse stable. But hey I had decent results and had very little in it. Maybe caseing is the answer to all my problems?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Coir, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation