Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEcoFreako
Non-Threatening

Loc: BC, CAN.
Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization)
    #745108 - 07/14/02 08:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Greeting everyone, hope your day is fairing well. Has anyone experience with picking dung, (in my case, horse) that has mould on it? My access to horse crap dictates a huge pile, but majority if full of grey specks...I have had some success, and some failure, when pastuerizing....the failures have borne the same mould as was previous to pastuerizing. Is it desirable to wait until it has NOT rained for a long time, in order to find dung that has not been wet at one point? The peices I pick are completely dried out, but still show mould. Anyone with experience sterilizing, then introducing beneficial bacteria to dung, then pastuerizing? Thanks to anyone who can figure out what I'm saying, let alone provide advice....but that would be great too! ---Ec0

--------------------
Mmmm....permaculture....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: EcoFreako]
    #745239 - 07/14/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

no moldy dung
you have to look for another source...

InvisibleEcoFreako
Non-Threatening

Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: CLuB99]
    #745400 - 07/14/02 12:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info CLub, i was as picky as I could be, at this horse dung heap, but I suppose in most cases, this source isnt a good one...the only other way I can get it, is to walk around town picking up whatever falls out of their butts, after a couple days of sunning. It seems when people clean it from the stables, mixing with dirt and straw, and put it in a big pile...that moulds jump on them easily. I think I should try to sterilize it, and lay it out in the sun myself. Theres NO way I can gather enough from trails, to hold me over for the long winter here! Pah! Let this be a lesson to be picky with your dung! ---Ec0

--------------------
Mmmm....permaculture....

Offlinekwisatz
journeyman

Loc: Arrakis
    #745492 - 07/14/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Try to PC it for a long time

Cut off the moldy parts first.

Edited by kwisatz (07/14/02 01:10 PM)

Offlinegoolag
Rx

Loc: Stable
Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: kwisatz]
    #745706 - 07/14/02 03:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

kwisatz - You need to pasturize dung not going over 175F. PCing would so much sterilize it totally.

--------------------
goolag

[url=http://shroomery.org/faq/]Check out
the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
    #746736 - 07/14/02 09:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have used moldy dung with sucsess. When I store it @ home is when it gets moldy.I simply mix with 1/2 straw and pasturize @ 160-170 for and hour. When done and cool I spawn with alot of chopped cakes.

Maybe you are not using enough spawn.The more you use the faster it will colonize leaving less time for the mold to recover and beat up the mycellium.
Or maybe you are not pasturizing long enough....me thinks mold should not be able to survive 170 for an hour.

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

InvisibleEcoFreako
Non-Threatening

Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: badjessejames]
    #747530 - 07/15/02 08:11 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks BJJ, thats some interesting input. My understanding is that many microbes can survive past 170, (I do pastueize for more than 1 hour), but you have a good point about amount of spawn. Can you say what kind of mould is infecting your stash during storage? I think youv'e given me the confidence I needed to lug home as much excrement I can b4 winter, regardless of what it appears to look like. Theres gotta be a way around "dirty" crap...and I guess that is better than no crap. I really don't want to take a step down and go back to straight birdseed casings....after you get the foot-longs, its surprising how quickly anything less seems undesirable. Thanks again! ----Ec0

--------------------
Mmmm....permaculture....

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
    #747702 - 07/15/02 09:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The mold thats usually on my poo is a whispy off white/grey cottony type of funk....there is no sign of it after pasturization...

I use two 1/2 pint cakes to one large mixing bowl o' dung/straw...cut up into m&m size pieces.

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

Offlinekwisatz
journeyman

Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: goolag]
    #748198 - 07/15/02 12:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

kwisatz - You need to pasturize dung not going over 175F. PCing would so much sterilize it totally.

Yes, I know, but personally I've had better luck with sterilization than pasteurization and since it has visable mold on it, I thought it might be better for him in this case. But that is just my own opinion.

InvisibleEcoFreako
Non-Threatening

#748378 - 07/15/02 01:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hey Kwisatz, that is real groovy. Your saying that sterilizing your dung doesnt cause bacterial bloom for you? Would you tell me more about what your doing, ie: spawing/fruiting setup?,(whats the air like that you expose it to?). Are you going 15 psi? If your sterilizing your dung with no problems, congratulations! and please share!

--------------------
Mmmm....permaculture....

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #748458 - 07/15/02 02:26 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Sometimes their is no avoiding mold on dung. I have collected dung that is very purple in color(whos knows what it is), yet it has never caused a problem. Ever collected really dry dung that is almost white?? What do you think that is??
In reply to:

Yes, I know, but personally I've had better luck with sterilization than pasteurization and since it has visable mold on it, I thought it might be better for him in this case. But that is just my own opinion

If you are going to sterilize dung, you may as well not even use it to spawn. The reason it needs to be pasturized is to kill harmfull bacteria. If you sterilize it you will kill all the bacteria, including the benificial bacteria that is very necassary. Sterilizing dung will most likely contam immediatly. Benificial bacteria is to fight off the harmfull bacteria. It will be vulnerable to bacterial bloom if sterilized.....I wouldnt recomend it!!!

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinekwisatz
journeyman

#748465 - 07/15/02 02:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'm still very new at this but I tried pasteurization and the casing ended up smelling so nasty after 3 days, I had to throw it out. I tried PCing then used a high grain spawn to dung ratio, and it colonized very well, no smell. I read some other posts by people here who prefer sterilization so I decided to try it and it worked. YMMV.

I will probably try pasteurization again, but sterilization seems to be working fine for me.

Good luck!

Offlinepleezr
fuct

#749463 - 07/15/02 08:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The only time I smell the dung is during pasturization. It should reek of mushrooms

Sounds like you didnt pasturize correctly, or your dung was too wet. Chances are that was bacteria you were smelling.

--------------------
pleezr

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: pleezr]
    #749506 - 07/15/02 09:12 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

Ever collected really dry dung that is almost white?? What do you think that is??

I think that I've read that the white should be the benefical bacteria or a strong indication of it. I believe they are called actinomycetes, which I think actually gave us most of the antibiotics that we have today, hence their anti-contaminant properties. Seems it should be really good dung.

Does this sound right?

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Offlinemew
Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: psyphon]
    #749556 - 07/15/02 09:48 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yep thats the good stuff Psyphon,seems the older the better imo.

--------------------
support the FSR

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: psyphon]
    #749574 - 07/15/02 10:39 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ding!

--------------------
pleezr

InvisibleSumGuy
addict

#749768 - 07/16/02 01:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If mold is already growing on dung does't that mean that the mold that is on the dung has already leeched out a lot of the nutrients you want your mushrooms to have?

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Offlinekwisatz
journeyman

Re: Mouldy Manure Q (pre-pastuerization) [Re: pleezr]
    #751648 - 07/16/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

Sounds like you didnt pasturize correctly, or your dung was too wet. Chances are that was bacteria you were smelling.

That is most likely right, I was just saying that sterilization did work. I will be trying pasteurization again, maybe it will be even better if I can get it right!

Edited by kwisatz (07/16/02 05:30 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix